Your favorite scoreboard

BigMac12

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From someone who used to be employed in the sign industry, I can really enjoy scoreboards with functionality, like the Quicken Loans elements with the flames, or Old Comisky that would shoot fireworks during Home Runs. Scoreboards that are dual use, and provide part of the entertainment of the game are golden in my book...

Though the scoreboard itself is pretty unremarkable, the sign the Rangers used to have at the Ballpark in Arlington struck me as absolutely hilarious in the age of $100 million contracts. Like yeah, the money's great and all, but I'm gonna smack a 500-foot homer 'cause then I'll win a free suit!

Scan3908.jpg

I do like the metal framing detail and the star on top.

Here's a shot from behind home plate (through the net obviously) to give perspective on where the sign was (at far right). This was taken during an event where fans could shag fly balls and run the bases, that's why all the people are on the field.

Scan3346.jpg

The 2011 Rangers Ballpark in Arlington upgrades will include the following elements:

NEW VIDEO BOARDS: The current video board on the roof of the Home Run Porch, which is 24 by 36 feet (864 square feet) will be replaced by a new board that measures 42 by 120 feet (5,040 square feet). In addition, a new video board that will be 25 by 29 feet (725 square feet) will replace the Coca-Cola matrix board on top of the office building in centerfield. The old video board used standard definition technology while the new boards will both be high-definition.

AUDIO SYSTEM: The Rangers Ballpark in Arlington audio system is receiving a total overhaul with the old speakers being replaced and the additional of technology upgrades and production equipment to compliment the enhanced video product.

• 2 years later...

Archived