Astros in 1965 unis tonight

AstroVilla

My 'Stros may be awful ...but they're looking sharp tonight. This is my favorite uniform in their history. I would love to see them revert back to these colors & an updated version of this look. Sorry, no screen capture on my TV. But here are the originals. Would love to see some of the artists here work up a modern version of this.

astros1965-1.png

CCSLsig.png

Join us at Space City Lions - Houston's Aston Villa Supporters Club

My 'Stros may be awful ...but they're looking sharp tonight. This is my favorite uniform in their history. I would love to see them revert back to these colors & an updated version of this look. Sorry, no screen capture on my TV. But here are the originals. Would love to see some of the artists here work up a modern version of this.

Well, this fellow Astros fan gives them a "C." They nailed the uniforms in the field (even included the orange button on the caps and the orange star on the stirrups and extra points for all of the players wearing the pants high so that we could see stirrups). But then being the Astros, they went cheap and didn't go with the matching batting helmets. And I'm sorry, but black isn't navy blue and close doesn't count on that fact. So the black undersleeves and the black helmets take away from what's an outstanding uniform.

It's just as well. It's a microcosm of how poorly run they've become, the NL's version of the Orioles. It's a shame because the 1965 unis are my favorites.

Throwback unis, and it's still the first week of the season?... Really? <_<

Yeah, they're in that "some kind of anniversary every season" phase.

Well, this fellow Astros fan gives them a "C." They nailed the uniforms in the field (even included the orange button on the caps and the orange star on the stirrups and extra points for all of the players wearing the pants high so that we could see stirrups). But then being the Astros, they went cheap and didn't go with the matching batting helmets. And I'm sorry, but black isn't navy blue and close doesn't count on that fact. So the black undersleeves and the black helmets take away from what's an outstanding uniform.

It's just as well. It's a microcosm of how poorly run they've become, the NL's version of the Orioles. It's a shame because the 1965 unis are my favorites.

Agreed on the helmets & undershirts ...still, really dig the unis.

Oh, and here's a shot from tonight (edit: beat me to it, EddieJ. Good job.)...

Astrosretro.png

They actual have their first lead of the year right now (scratch that ...Howard just hit a 2-run jack). If the Stros do win though, cue the calls to wear these more often.

CCSLsig.png

Throwback unis, and it's still the first week of the season?... Really? <_<

For the record, it's meant to commemorate the 45th anniversary of the first game played as the Astros. EDIT: The first regular-season game as the Astros was April 12, 1965 (vs. the Phillies, which is why the Phils are wearing throwbacks, I guess) but the Astros are on the road this April 12.

Friday would have been a nice night for the throwbacks because April 9, 1965 was the anniversary of the first game played at the Astrodome, an exhibition against the Yankees. Probably interfered with fireworks night, though (anything to get the non-baseball fans into the park...sigh).

The crowd is looking a bit healthier tonight. It was looking like a Marlins' game last night. This is going to a long, long season.

It's what happens when you let your farm system go to pot and have to sign stopgap players, and when your inept GM (who's 0-for-9 as a GM when it comes to his teams actually making the playoffs) has a fetish for overpaying relief pitching (which is a dime a dozen) and ex-Phillies who've been deemed not good enough to play for the two-time NL champs any more. But I won't hijack this thread with my frustrations about how Drayton McLane is becoming the NL's answer to Peter Angelos.

I think I like the general idea of a shooting star over an arched "Astros," but the execution on the 1965s is too hokey to ever work today. Similarly, I like having an H on the hat, but not the way they did it. The colors don't feel right to me, but the Astros are one of those teams that have ruined ever having their own definite color scheme, so I wouldn't know what would be better. What a terrible mess. This team sucks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This is going to shock anyone who knows me around here; I think those uniforms look hopelessly outdated. God help me, I can't believe I'm about to say this, I think it's a good concept but it needs to be modernized and updated.

BB52Big.jpg

I think I like the general idea of a shooting star over an arched "Astros," but the execution on the 1965s is too hokey to ever work today. Similarly, I like having an H on the hat, but not the way they did it. The colors don't feel right to me, but the Astros are one of those teams that have ruined ever having their own definite color scheme, so I wouldn't know what would be better. What a terrible mess. This team sucks.

You should have seen the yokels with Astro tattoos that the local news showed during the opener. The tattoo of their girldfriend's name has a longer shelf life than a Astros' logo. I was kind of hoping one guy would have done a sleeve of every era of the 'stros. It would be terrible, but it at least would be interesting terrible.

BTW- A friend showed up at our crawfish boil this afternoon and had a few tickets for tonight's game that he found in the change tray at the supermarket. Give a penny, take a penny shouldn't honor tickets for the cheap seats during a bad season.

Showing off free baseball tickets at a crawfish boil? Man, that is the good life.

But seriously, what is this team to do, aesthetically speaking? They can't do Olde Time Base Ball (doesn't work with Astros), and they can't do Brave Corporate Logo (sucks on general principle), and yet right now they're sorta doing both at the same time between the pinstripes/scripts and hats/lettering. I am flummoxed.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Love the stirrups. I haven't seen the highlights (if there were any), but I'd bet most of the player's didn't show any socks or stirrups, which always ticks me off about throwbacks. I've always liked the H hat to the star logo, but that is what I grew up with watching them come up short all the time.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

This is going to shock anyone who knows me around here; I think those uniforms look hopelessly outdated. God help me, I can't believe I'm about to say this, I think it's a good concept but it needs to be modernized and updated.

Yeah, that's why I was calling for an updated version of this concept. I grew up in the Dome, so they have strong nostalgic value to me. But I'm under no illusion that they could just run out the throwbacks as is. But I do think the concept is strong enough to build on. Much better than the silly olde timey/blood & mud thing they've been sporting since the move to MMP. As far as the colors not feeling right, they wore orange & blue for roughly the first two-thirds of their existence. I see almost as many fans sporting the old colors around town & at the ballpark as those wearing the current. So I think it could work.

I really hope Drayton sells the team. Mainly so we can have hope for a real team again. But also I'd like someone who would at least try to cultivate some kid of a tradition for the Astros rather than everything always feeling like a sell job.

CCSLsig.png

and yet right now they're sorta doing both at the same time between the pinstripes/scripts and hats/lettering. I am flummoxed.

Don't even get me started on the pinstripes.

I do really enjoy the Houston script and yet I like the harder look of the open star on the hat. If I had to start somewhere while retaining a certain look, I'd build around the star. It invokes an A while being the literal meaning of the team's name (plus the H in the star is hopelessly old fashioned).

And I'd push the brick red to more of an orange as I've seen tons of Astros printed material fade into an orange and I'm convinced it would look great. Use the navy from the late 90's as it has a deeper look than the flat black used now.

New, forward looking scripts. Let Minute Maid be the old timey train station. The 'Stros can look like the future, the stadium can be the past.

Archived