Coulee Region Chill

Ez Street

topstory55.gif

The Coulee Region Chill, which will begin play in the North American Hockey League (NAHL) next season, has announced the unveiling of its logo.

The logo was designed by Sammy Gross of 144Design.

Perhaps the greatest challenge in the design process was creating an identity for a name that doesnt have an obvious mascot, said Gross. The first renditions actually didnt even incorporate a mascot at all, they were strictly typographical treatments. The incorporation of the penguin accomplished the sleek and edgy quality we were striving for.

The Chill, which relocated from North Iowa, will play its home games at OmniCenter in Onalaska, Wis.

Our goal was to create a custom logo that would set the team apart from Day 1, Gross added. What we landed on was well thought out and holds together nicely as a brand. I commend the Chill organization; it made the right move in getting this off on the right foot.

For more information on the Chill, visit CRChill.com.

More marks from the designers:

chill.jpg

Ugh. This is my opinion, and I feel most will disagree, but this is not appealing at all. Looks like most concepts we see here. The colors rub me the wrong way, whether it's the tones or the fact that they are trying to be the old Penguins' colors. The penguin looks like it is dead and falling on its head...not good. The top partial/secondary logo is the same dead penguin head, with some cut into the back of it that makes the shape feel very awkward. Penguins aren't "cut" there. Next one down is a wordmark, featuring the overly stylized "CHILL" from the primary. Then below that is essentially an exact replica of the DC Comics logo. Then we have a cliche wordmark with a puck looping around it, okay, predictable. Below that is a "C" that comes out of left field and doesn't match the rest of the set. Not my cup of tea.

Ugh. This is my opinion, and I feel most will disagree, but this is not appealing at all. Looks like most concepts we see here. The colors rub me the wrong way, whether it's the tones or the fact that they are trying to be the old Penguins' colors. The penguin looks like it is dead and falling on its head...not good. The top partial/secondary logo is the same dead penguin head, with some cut into the back of it that makes the shape feel very awkward. Penguins aren't "cut" there. Next one down is a wordmark, featuring the overly stylized "CHILL" from the primary. Then below that is essentially an exact replica of the DC Comics logo. Then we have a cliche wordmark with a puck looping around it, okay, predictable. Below that is a "C" that comes out of left field and doesn't match the rest of the set. Not my cup of tea.

I agree with the idea that it looks like the penguin is dead. To me it has to do more with the white X in its eye.

It was only a matter of time before my beloved "Chill" nickname went to another hockey team.

These guys did it better the first time. Simple.

xe8pen5dnxighaeovg5g.gif

In fact, I'm going to make this my new avatar.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think the logo is pretty solid for a league like the NAHL. Is it NHL material, no probably not. It's already now one of the better logos in the league, so there is a context for it.

I do agree about the eye, the star is a bit overdone. Yes, it works well in the Minnesota Wild's logo, but then again it's supposed to blend with the theme. Here the star is just added for look, no real purpose.

Head Logo = It'd be better without the streaky-ness.

Wordmark = Solid, not too fancy, just solid.

CR Logo = Yes a bit DC Comics like, I didn't notice that until eRay said that though.

Chill Swoop = Chicago Steel and Lethbridge Hurricanes similarities there, but you can find similarities in all logos. This one is solid to me.

C Logo = Not a fan. Too simplified for my taste. No real idea of what it's representing. Doesn't match the "C's" in the other logos. It's squashed.

I'm in the concensus on this one, for a junior team it's great.

eRay, your point about color scheme seems a bit off base for me. I think the colors represent the nickname well, icy, chilly, snowy colors. The fact that they're using a penguin mascot with the colors does lead you down the Pittsburgh route, but it's not an obvious ripoff. When they come out wearing Penguins alternate jerseys as their home, THEN it will be obvious!

Well since I am from the east coast when I hear Coulee...I think The Grand Coulee Dam in Washington. I never even knew there was a Coulee Region in Wisconsin. So the name might be a bit confusing.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

• 3 weeks later...

This thread reminded me I forgot to post this a couple of months ago. Not sure if I should start a new thread, or just keep it here.

Bruins_logo.jpg

New team, the Austin Bruins in Austin, MN.

The locals are pretty pissed about the name. They don't want to 'honor' Boston and would rather have a name that has to do with Hormel (HQ is here, along with Spam) and the meat packing industry. I even saw someone in the editorial page in the paper suggest "Ice Hogs". I hate this town.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Archived