Anyone here do freelance work?

Mat

Was trying to find a good designer to take care of my company's logo when a lightbulb went on in my head remembering how good so many of you guys are at logo design. Just wondering if anyone here does freelance work?

• 4 weeks later...

I also do freelance work. My portfolio is online at http://www.jimdesign.com

Your site is nice, as is the presentation of your work. If I may offer some cc, you may want to re-visit the wording on your main page, and also in your "about me" section. The short sentances on the main page that describe your aproach are pretty "weak" (I don't mean weak as in bad, but weak as in not powerful.) I'm not sure it would be accurate to say that they're passive, but there's probably a way to convey the same message in a much more powerful way - one which might stick in the head of the reader as they move on through the site. Also, each part of your "about me" section starts with the word "I". It's tough not to use "I" when talking about yourself, but I think that most writers would try to avoid it as much as possible, and not start each sentence with it. It almost sounds like you're more "proving" or "selling" yourself rather than simply describing yourself (while of course working in facts that do have the ultimate goal of selling yourself.) I'm not sure I'm qualified to write any of these things, but I'm sure there are plenty of great wordsmiths around here.

Not sure if any of that made sense. Just a little feedback that maybe you could use to improve your site. Or just ignore it. Either way.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Your site is nice, as is the presentation of your work. If I may offer some cc, you may want to re-visit the wording on your main page, and also in your "about me" section. The short sentances on the main page that describe your aproach are pretty "weak" (I don't mean weak as in bad, but weak as in not powerful.) I'm not sure it would be accurate to say that they're passive, but there's probably a way to convey the same message in a much more powerful way - one which might stick in the head of the reader as they move on through the site. Also, each part of your "about me" section starts with the word "I". It's tough not to use "I" when talking about yourself, but I think that most writers would try to avoid it as much as possible, and not start each sentence with it. It almost sounds like you're more "proving" or "selling" yourself rather than simply describing yourself (while of course working in facts that do have the ultimate goal of selling yourself.) I'm not sure I'm qualified to write any of these things, but I'm sure there are plenty of great wordsmiths around here.

Not sure if any of that made sense. Just a little feedback that maybe you could use to improve your site. Or just ignore it. Either way.

I get what you're saying. I used to have it where I spoke about myself in the third person "Jimdesign does this...; at Jimdesign I strive for...." etc.

It seemed clunky and less personal. I'm not a big agency. It's a one-man operation. Others have said since it's just myself, it's better to use "I" than the company's name.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I get what you're saying. I used to have it where I spoke about myself in the third person "Jimdesign does this...; at Jimdesign I strive for...." etc.

It seemed clunky and less personal. I'm not a big agency. It's a one-man operation. Others have said since it's just myself, it's better to use "I" than the company's name.

I am a professional writer (in that I get paid to write), and while I would have written a different style "About Me" for myself, I think yours fits the overall "vibe" of your website. It's friendly and wholesome, and avoids the too-cute-by-half pitfall seen in so many other graphic designer websites.

I will say, however, that it does look freelance more so than an established graphic shop. I'm not sure if graphic design is a full-time gig or something you do on the side, but your "About Me" makes it look more like the latter than the former.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Really like your site, but the home page really seems empty and incomplete. I had to look around for a (just a little) bit to find the portfolio button. I was waiting for something to load in the white space for a bit before realizing that was it. Maybe put a graphic or something in there that also links to the portfilio or and resume.

Also, may want to consider expanding on the explainations of your designs just a little bit. Some of the designs are really strong, but have simply a little blurb that leaves me with more questions. Which can be good if it's so good to where I call you to get those answers, but in this case, I think a little more wording would benefit you.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I am trying to get started with some freelance work. I've done a couple small jobs for friends and such, but never for a real client.

I do have an online portfolio at jnutini.daportfolio.com and even more on my deviantART, which is linked in my sig.

Dug most of your work and the presentation was nice. BUT, you should fix up that resume before having it online for download. It just seems disjointed and messy, of course unless it is not formatted right because i am using pages.

I am trying to get started with some freelance work. I've done a couple small jobs for friends and such, but never for a real client.

I do have an online portfolio at jnutini.daportfolio.com and even more on my deviantART, which is linked in my sig.

Dug most of your work and the presentation was nice. BUT, you should fix up that resume before having it online for download. It just seems disjointed and messy, of course unless it is not formatted right because i am using pages.

It is a decent site. I have two suggestions. First, make the resume a PDF to maintain formatting. Second, remove all personal references. Privacy is a big deal and advertising another person's personal phone number is not a good move. Just say 'references available upon request'.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Really like your site, but the home page really seems empty and incomplete. I had to look around for a (just a little) bit to find the portfolio button. I was waiting for something to load in the white space for a bit before realizing that was it. Maybe put a graphic or something in there that also links to the portfilio or and resume.

Also, may want to consider expanding on the explainations of your designs just a little bit. Some of the designs are really strong, but have simply a little blurb that leaves me with more questions. Which can be good if it's so good to where I call you to get those answers, but in this case, I think a little more wording would benefit you.

Thanks, BBTV.

Total agreement on the homepage. I just don't know what exactly I oughta put there, and eventually I just stopped trying to think of things. I should probably re-address that.

Interesting thoughts on my descriptions. I see where your coming from. On the other hand, my descriptions are something I've received high marks on from former professors, potential employers, and colleagues. No right or wrong to that type of thing, though, all a preference, I suppose. I'll take what you said into account, maybe change it up if I get motivated.

Archived