The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i made a quick manip to show what the green would look like on the new uniforms,

here are the actual new unis

home

homehz.th.jpg

away

awayq.th.jpg

I don't know if this is an upgrade or downgrade, but I'll give this a 50/50, or what I should say, half-upgrade, half-downgrade. Now why?

Upgrade: Looks sleeker and more plain. The numbers are somewhat better.

Downgrade: Some elements were removed especially the one in the neck line. And why remove green?

My take on the new TWolves jerseys...

Despite being a lifelong Celtics fan, I followed the TWolves closely for a long time after KG was drafted. Watching the draft I fell in love with his intensity and drive, so I adopted them as my Western team. Anyway, it feels like now they have finally severed all ties with their uniform history. I know the logo is essentially the same, but dropping the tree trim(and thusly, the Green) and the number font seems like the last in a lot of steps away from the "KG era." The number font was never perfect, so a tweak was in order all along, but the tree trim...c'mon. That was unique, and it looked good. It fit for the team and was worn through all their most "successful" seasons. I use quotes because they never reached the level of success that KG tried so hard to get them to. Anyway, the point is, it was something from that era of uniforms that should have stuck. It could have been their thing, like the Dodgers have chest numbers, the Yankees have pinstripes, the Bulls have diamond shapes on their shorts, etc. Something recognizable that every sports fan would associate with them. Now they've lost that.

It's just sad that they hired some people to make these decisions, when they are basically the exact opposite of some of the changes we all wanted made. Now, good for them that they removed the back collar triangle, but not for ridding themselves of Green (which has been around since the beginning) and the tree trim. It's like they are trying to simplify...but the problem is they already had simple and effective uniforms that they dumped for these WNBA uniforms. They got rid of simple but now, only a few years later are trying to get back to simple. Everyone wants a "classic, timeless" look, but they are so quick to dump their uniforms for something they think will get them a quick buck. It seems that nobody is willing to put in the time to make something classic. All it takes is a little patience. Once you have something that works well for your city and team, keep it. There is something to be said about standing pat in today's sports uniform environment.

Timberwolves:

The numbers are an upgrade... they are more legible... easier on the eyes. The removal of the green is a terrible idea. The trees being removed from the collar and shorts band is also a terrible idea. As for the Trees hidden in the side panels... I liked this idea, but I think it was executed poorly. Had the trees been hidden inside a simple shape, rather than a wavey shape, i think it would have come across a lot better.

Warriors:

I like the throwback style of the uniform, but having "Golden State Warriors" around the entire circle is a bit excessive. I also dont like having yellow and white around the neck collar, but then only having yellow around the sleeve trim. Then having just 1 solid panel do down the sides that doesnt match the sleeve trim looks out of place.

Clippers:

They just remind me of a recolored Atlanta Hawks, or more rigid version of the 76ers alt form a couple years ago. Although the side panels are clean, I dont think Clippers, I think Nike College Team. The numbers... I like they are a different color and i don't have a problem with a little fancier font. The number style isn't TOO fancy where it takes away from the rest of the jersey... I think it actually compliments it well.

None of the 3 really knock me off my socks. Golden State's would have WOW'ed me, but the jersey just seems too cluttered with the logo, number, and all the words. From what it seems, the Jazz uni's are going to be pretty simple, which might be a nice change of pace. I am interested to see what the Cavs do, since nothing has been "officially" released except the old, recolored logos.

EDIT: the Cavs unofficial "official" twitter says the new uniforms will be released at 5:30EST tomorrow. http://twitter.com/cavs

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The new Twolves is an overall downgrade. I like the fact that they got rid of the collar and made the overall look more "manly" (i.e. less WNBA-ish) but they could (and should) have kept some green in there, as someone said earlier they just look like a magic-mavericks fusion now. They should have darkened their green a little bit and incorporated it somehow, maybe in the wordmark.

I mean overall the jerseys look great and cool but they just look too much like two other teams that already exist.

The number change is an upgrade. I liked their old number font but it was time for it to go. As someone else mentioned this new font is easier to read.

I also think these uniforms would look great if they swapped the blue with green, even if it meant having no blue. More original too. Green is underused in pro sports IMO and it was the wrong color to ditch.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Ah what the heck, here’s the first official leak!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Uniforms_Home_Front.png

It's ummm.... ok, but it reminds me of the Sixers change. Still an upgrade though.

I guess I would be more excited about it if it were more original and unpredictable and didnt look to me almost exactly like what they wore before the mountain era.

I think the green will be more prominent than what’s shown in these graphics. Maybe ColorWerx can give us a little low down.

Here's the away uniform front.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Uniforms_Away_Front.png

Are the sides really going to be white? Sorry, its going to take me awhile to like that. I think they should have made the sides green or even blue like the rest of the uni.

45078_425988946876_40605971876_4817224_1006142_n.jpg

Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan in the new Clipper uniforms...not bad

Id say its a downgrade overall. I like the Los Angeles on the red (primary Im assuming) roads. But overall its a change for the sake of change which Im not a big fan of. I was okay with their last set and I didnt think it needed changing. The number font is a downgrade.

45078_425988946876_40605971876_4817224_1006142_n.jpg

Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan in the new Clipper uniforms...not bad

Id say its a downgrade overall. I like the Los Angeles on the red (primary Im assuming) roads. But overall its a change for the sake of change which Im not a big fan of. I was okay with their last set and I didnt think it needed changing. The number font is a downgrade.

The numeral font is my only beef with the design; they should have kept the block font.

Archived