Quebec Nordiques

ScotM

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Generic: My buddy and I were discussing that tonight, actually. He thought adding some of the other colours in my palette to accent the wolf might fill out the logo more. I agree and I promise to try a few concepts in the next few day.

In the mean time, here's the secondary logo I'm playing around with:

nordiques2.jpg

Here is a mock up of the Nordiques away jersey. I added a thin navy blue line to the end of the bottom and both sleeves as well as a vermilion strip above the white of the ends of the jersey. The primary wolf logo with a light grey outline is a patch on both shoulders.

nordiquesjersey4.jpg

Upon viewing it again, I think I prefer this mock up on a darker jersey:

nordiquesjersey5.jpg

The vintage white inside the Fleur de Lis is the same colour on the sleeves and collar.

And finally, for those who raised concerns over the effectiveness of my initial primary logo, I did a mock up home jersey with the Fleur de Lis as the primary with the wolf logo on the shoulders. I also added a vermilion strip to the edge of the jersey.

nordiquesjersey6.jpg

I took the concept from the original wolf logo and incorporated an update on the colour scheme. C & C welcome.

Here is my first mockup:

nordiques1.jpg

As a logo I love it. As a sports logo I'm not so sure, it just feels a little to etherial what with it the whole being made up of so many individual flowing lines. As much as I love it, it's also a logo of two halves you have the right hand side full of beautiful crisp shapes which wouldn't look out of place in a tribal style tattoo, and then there is the left hand side where those crisp angular shapes lose their angles and definition and the mouth and muzzle of the wolf become kinda amorphous by comparison. There's no detail, there's not even the slightest indication of teeth, what should be the sharp on of the logo, the business end, the aggressive end is all round shapes and softness. It's like you knew exactly what you wanted on the right and nailed it, but on the left you weren't sure what you were after and lost you confidence, and it seems to show.

If you can find a way to achieve the same sharpness and confidence in what is the most important part of the logo, the wolfs face, you'll have an awesome logo, like I said not sure if it's application would be successful in sporting environment but as a piece of design it will be outstanding. If you are going to introduce a second colour though please find a better way to do it than by adding an outline, to me it jars so incredibly with the open free flowing nature of the main part of the logo that it totally kills it off. Why design something using free floating parts only to pen them in with an ugly keyline? I'm sorry it makes no sense it kills all the movement you managed to achieve in stage one.

Again not sure even if the face is cleaned up and the keyline consigned to history if this will make a strong sporting logo but it WOULD make for a very strong corporate identity if partnered with the right type treatments so for that reason I think you would be well advised to spend time cleaning this up if for no other reason than it has merit in it's own right, and perfecting it will help you improve your work.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

As a former Nordiques' fan, who has been watching the development of a possible new arena in Quebec City, I'm excited to see some Nordiques concepts.

I would think that a team in Quebec City may have to break a little bit with tradition to avoid the connection with the Avs. (speaking of, who owns the Nordiques name and trademarks? The league?)

Now let's give some feedback:

I think the "wolf" was meant to be a Husky Dog (Was it Uwe Krupp who ran sled dogs???) so I would like the animal to be slightly less fierce.

I like the treatement of the logo, but it reminds me too much of the Netherlands' soccer team.

As for the colours of the shirt, keep the original blue, no need to darken.

I would also try to totally take the red out of their identity, replace it with a silver/grey.

As for the fleurs de lis, you need to use them in moderation at the hem.

Also not use it as primary, too cliché.

Can't say I am crazy about the treatment either, I don't thing that bevel/3D effect works.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Here's an updated version with a darker grey contour around the front of the wolf, with the addition of teeth and lighter grey accents around the mouth and hair:

nordiques3.jpg

As a logo I love it. As a sports logo I'm not so sure, it just feels a little to etherial what with it the whole being made up of so many individual flowing lines.

May I introduce you to the Cambrian Golden Shield:

cambrian.png

The fleur de lis chest logo feels like too much on top of the waist fleurs. I'd definitely like to see what you could do to make a Bonhomme-like snowman logo. I'm not sure it can be done and look NHL-quality, but it'd definitely represent the city well.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Archived