NFL Pre-Merger Throwbacks

Lights Out

Whoa hold on there. The Redskins are descended from the Boston Braves/ Boston Redskins football team.

It's a Herculean stretch to consider Duluth part of the Redskins...but someone has actually tried via Wikipedia;

"...Due to various transactions, it can be argued that the Kelleys/Eskimos still exist today, at least indirectly. Edwin Simandl, a promoter in Orange, New Jersey bought the defunct franchise for the 1929 season and used it to promote his already established decades-old Orange Tornadoes to the major leagues. The Tornadoes moved to Newark for the 1930 season before going back to the minors; Simandl handed the franchise rights back to the league with the stipulation that the first new expansion team of the 1931 season would receive the Tornadoes' old franchise. Because of the Great Depression, no teams were admitted to the league in 1931. In 1932, a Boston group received the next expansion franchise and was awarded what would technically be the remains of the Tornadoes organization. This group used it to start the Boston Braves. In 1933, the team was renamed the Redskins, and in 1937 it moved to Washington, D.C. where it still plays today as the Washington Redskins. However, the Redskins and the NFL recognize the Boston/Washington franchise as a separate organization dating to 1932, and not as a continuation of the Kelleys/Eskimos line."

-Again, it's not like someone bought the team and moved it from one place to another, rather they simply bought the rights to the franchise's vacancy left by the former team's departure. I'd have to agree that the Eskimos have more to do with Minnesota's football history over Washington's. Even if the Vikings had nothing to do with the former team.

So long as we're going into football's past, how about looking at the AFL of the 1930's? The current St. Louis Rams came form it (as Cleveland) and although not related to the current team, the Cincinnati Bengals first made an appearance. Besides, some of these teams just sound cool. I always wonder what the landscape of sports would look like had some of these teams form various leagues lived on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Shamrocks_%28AFL%29

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I realize that the Patriots and Jets were not those teams, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the Pats shouldn't pay tribute to their predecessors in Boston-area NFL football and that the Jets can't pay tribute to the Giants' original rivals. Hell, it beats seeing the Pats trot out Pat Patriot for the millionth time, or the Jets bring out those ugly Titans uniforms every season.

Granted, this could only work as a planned event like the 1994 throwbacks. But I think as a one-off or at the most, a uniform worn once every three years or so, the uniform schedule won't suffer too much.

It's just a matter of principal for me. I dislike it when the NBA teams wear ABA throwbacks. Same thing here. The Yanks and Patriots have nothing in common except that they both played in Boston. The Patriots didn't even start in the NFL, so I find it a stretch to say that the Yanks were their predecessors. Same with the Jets and Stapletons. Yes, the Titans uniforms don't fit in with their current look (though I wouldn't say they're ugly), and the Pat the Patriot uniforms are overrated, but at least the teams actually wore those uniforms at some point. These throwbacks are homage teams with little to no connection with current NFL teams.

I'm sorry, I just don't like the idea.

Though I will say, again, that these are very well put together, so bravo on that.

• 4 weeks later...

Whoa hold on there. The Redskins are descended from the Boston Braves/ Boston Redskins football team.

It's a Herculean stretch to consider Duluth part of the Redskins...but someone has actually tried via Wikipedia;

"...Due to various transactions, it can be argued that the Kelleys/Eskimos still exist today, at least indirectly. Edwin Simandl, a promoter in Orange, New Jersey bought the defunct franchise for the 1929 season and used it to promote his already established decades-old Orange Tornadoes to the major leagues. The Tornadoes moved to Newark for the 1930 season before going back to the minors; Simandl handed the franchise rights back to the league with the stipulation that the first new expansion team of the 1931 season would receive the Tornadoes' old franchise. Because of the Great Depression, no teams were admitted to the league in 1931. In 1932, a Boston group received the next expansion franchise and was awarded what would technically be the remains of the Tornadoes organization. This group used it to start the Boston Braves. In 1933, the team was renamed the Redskins, and in 1937 it moved to Washington, D.C. where it still plays today as the Washington Redskins. However, the Redskins and the NFL recognize the Boston/Washington franchise as a separate organization dating to 1932, and not as a continuation of the Kelleys/Eskimos line."

-Again, it's not like someone bought the team and moved it from one place to another, rather they simply bought the rights to the franchise's vacancy left by the former team's departure. I'd have to agree that the Eskimos have more to do with Minnesota's football history over Washington's. Even if the Vikings had nothing to do with the former team.

So long as we're going into football's past, how about looking at the AFL of the 1930's? The current St. Louis Rams came form it (as Cleveland) and although not related to the current team, the Cincinnati Bengals first made an appearance. Besides, some of these teams just sound cool. I always wonder what the landscape of sports would look like had some of these teams form various leagues lived on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Shamrocks_%28AFL%29

Actually the Vikings do have a connection with the Eskimos. Ole Haugsrud the original owner of the Eskimos sold the franchise back to the league with the agreement that he would have a stake in any future NFL franchise in Minnesota. Thus is 1961 Haugsrud became 10% owner of the newly created Vikings, he held that stock until his death in 1976.

The team in white in the photo you referenced for the Stapletons' uniform is the Bears. They still wear this jersey, more or less. The other team could be the Stapes, but these were the Stapes' best jerseys if you ask me. I'd guess solid blue with yellow stripes and what appears to be a yellow S on the left sleeve.

X00004_9.jpeg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I had a similar idea for modernizing the uniforms of old NFL/AFL/AAFC teams, so I like some of the uniform ideas but the historical connections don't really add up.

FsQiF2W.png

Archived