Alternate Universe Project #1

agentrygraphics

Hey all

To challenge myself in my down-time...I thought of a cool project to take on and wanted some of everyone's input.

Here's the premise: In an Alternate Universe...Rugby is king. Major League Rugby is to that reality what the NFL is to us....and the NFL is among the popularity ranks of soccer or hockey in the US.

I want to start the project on a small scale (8-10) teams, just so I can actually reach a foreseeable finsihed product.

Here's what I'm asking for: Your input on sponsors and/or team monikers.

Rugby in the ALT America is run similar to English soccer (or how I understand it)

MLR has a minor league with 8-10 teams. Each year the "minor" league cup champion moves up to Major League Rugby...and the worst team in MLR moves down to the minors. There are no "divisions" just one ladder for the entire league.

MLR Needs a national corporate sponsor (I was thinking someone big like AT&T or Verizon...maybe Apple?)

(Corporation) presents Major League Rugby

City | Possible Moniker/Nickname (other than city name) | Sponsor?

New York City | Big Apple/Gotham/Manhattan | NYSE

Boston | New England / Plymouth / "First Shore" / 1620 | Sam Adams

Detroit | Motor City/Michigan | GM

Philadelphia | Broad Street | Wachovia or Comcast

Chicago | Midway | Aon or Boeing

Cleveland | Parma | Goodyear

Seattle | Emerald City | Microsoft, Starbucks, Jones Soda

Anaheim | Orange County | Carl's Jr

Any suggestions are welcomed! Thanks!

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

My Proposal:

Jeep presents Major League Rugby

City | Possible Moniker/Nickname (other than city name) | Sponsor?

New York City | Gotham | NYSE

Boston | "First Shore" | Sam Adams

Detroit | Motor City | GM

Philadelphia | Broad Street | Pep Boys

Chicago | Midway | Quaker Oats

Cleveland | Parma | Goodyear

Seattle | Emerald City | Starbucks

Anaheim | Orange County | Carl's Jr

Other potential markets

Los Angeles | Hollywood/SoCal | News Corporation (Fox), Viacom (Paramount), Time Warner (Warner Bros.), GE (Universal)

Pittsburgh | Steel City | Dick's Sporting Goods, FedEx Ground

Atlanta | ATL/Georgia | Coca-Cola, Aaron's

New Orleans | NOLA/Bayou | Popeye's

Orlando | Florida/City Beautiful | Hard Rock Cafe, Guinness World Records, Ripley's Believe It or Not!

Dallas | DFW/North Texas | Dr. Pepper

Houston | Space City | ExxonMobil, The Men's Wearhouse

Minneapolis | Minnesota/Twin Cities/North Star | Buffalo Wild Wings

Milwaukee | Wisconsin/Brew City/Lake Michigan | Briggs & Stratton

Portland | Oregon/Rose City | Western Star Trucks

Las Vegas | Nevada/Sin City/The Strip | Caesars, MGM Grand

Phoenix | Arizona/Valley of the Sun | U-Haul

St. Louis | Missouri/Gateway/River City | Energizer, Rawlings

Raleigh | Carolina/North Carolina | Carquest, Golden Corral

Washington | D.C./Beltway/Potomac/Chesapeake | National Geographic

bYhYmxh.png

Old Spice FTW.

One question though, are you planning on using the city name at all? Parma's just a suburb of Cleveland so I'd call the team as being "Cleveland Somethings" as opposed to Parma. Unless you're doing something like that.

Oh, and Progressive would be a much better sponsor IMO for the Cleveland team than Goodyear.

6fQjS3M.png

Thank you all for the input so far

@ illwauk - Absolutely...but i want to take my time and attempt on putting something up here with good quality. I'd like to start smaller with 8-10 teams, because I know I could accomplish that small amount in a decent amount of time.

@MBurmy - Most of the teams you've listed as potential markets, I have on deck for the "2nd division" or minor league.

@sizemore - very good question, I wasn't too clear about that. Teams like NYC, Boston, Cleveland, etc that I suggested "moniker" names....I'll have to see how my sketches go, but I was thinking that, for example, Boston would be "1620 RFC"...NYC could just be "Manhattan RFC" and go by the nickname "Gothams"...think of it as how Arsenal goes by 'The Gunners', etc. THAT is my initial thought.

In my first sketches...let's take Boston for example. I have an official crest for the team (classic...soccer/football-esque) then a more stylized one.

A perfect representation of this is what I've seen done in Aussie Rules Football

Geelong

Geelong2008Logo2.jpg

And a more classic geelong crest

geelong-logo-fix.jpg

or even

Geelong2008Logo1.jpg

I hope that is making sense. Thanks everyone!

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

MBurmy - Most of the teams you've listed as potential markets, I have on deck for the "2nd division" or minor league.

OK...looking forward to seeing that! :)

bYhYmxh.png

Archived