2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

How about we talk academics, then? Actually, let's hold off on that one until ASU is invited to join the AAU.

I won't sink so low as to disown my children if they choose to go to ASU. I just won't pay their tuition. Of course, that won't be an issue since my children will be Wildcat fans from the day they're born.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure the feeling is mutual on the other side about any Arizona State player. :P

Trust me, while we may not be Duke/UNC or Ohio State/Michigan, people don't understand how bitter our rivalry is. It's a very underrated rivalry.

Bitter? Is there some sort of historical context behind this hate outside of 'RAWR! They're our rival and we hate them! RAWR!'

I mean, isn't that the case with most rivalries? How many of the vast number of rivalries are historically based? Very few.

Most rivalries start as geographic contests (Border wars, North/South, East/West, etc.) or between the State school and the University school just for state bragging rights. The bitterness just grows as the teams play each year, and want to take back bragging rights or some players want to get someone back because of something small or whatever. Then you bring the fans into it and the intensity just brews over the years.

I mean, I've only been at ASU for the one semester, but I know UofA is our rival and that I have to get up for it and into it. And I have plenty of high school friends that went to UofA that I can trade some friendly barbs with. I didn't grow up with it or live in Arizona to really have a stake or a historical context for it, but it's something that will grow. It's just the nature of it. So for now, I'll just learn from the back and forth between Gary and Kevin, and I'll continue to hate UofA for the sake of it.

And besides, Tucson blows :P

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

And besides, Tucson blows Tempe away.

Fixed. Sit this one out, kid, and let the veterans handle it.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

And besides, Tucson still blows

Fixed. Sit this one out, kid, and let the veterans handle it.

That got a laugh out of me, and he's right Tucson Blows. Besides, academically both schools are great within their own right. Arizona famous for their Medicine and Law, while Arizona State is famous for Teaching and Journalism. It never really mattered who has a AAU or Public Ivy, or who was the party school. Hatred for the school yes, but there is also respect within both schools in nature. But the hatred never goes away, will I be at the game, hell yes. Can't wait to see the Sun Devils beat the Wildcats.

But you're not a Public Ivy either.

Maybe all this UA-ASU battletalk should go in that Best College Rivalry thread :P

I'm getting a kick out of it, I applied to and was accepted by both schools and could have gotten into the rivalry, of course I decided to stay home though. I have no personal preference towards either school so I'm just sitting back and enjoying this cyberwar :D

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Hardly. In Arizona, sure it's a big deal. But let's not pretend that Arizona/ASU is up there with the likes of the Iron Bowl or The Game for must-watch rivalries.

Yet where is Boise State-Idaho oh wait there isn't one. At least Arizona/ASU is a classic rivalry that's been going on for at least a hundred years.

Edit: At least this talk of UA/ASU is a nice sign of relief from you bitching about Boise State being screwed over every week

But you're no party school either.

Wrong again, idiot.

http://www.campusgrotto.com/playboys-top-party-schools-for-2010.html

Previous Rankings

1. University of Miami

2. University of Texas - Austin

3. San Diego State University

4. University of Florida

5. University of Arizona

6. University of Wisconsin - Madison

7. University of Georgia

8. Louisiana State University

9. University of Iowa

10. West Virginia University

But you're no party school either.

Wrong again, idiot.

http://www.campusgrotto.com/playboys-top-party-schools-for-2010.html

Previous Rankings

1. University of Miami

2. University of Texas - Austin

3. San Diego State University

4. University of Florida

5. University of Arizona

6. University of Wisconsin - Madison

7. University of Georgia

8. Louisiana State University

9. University of Iowa

10. West Virginia University

And if you look up on the same link in the 2010 rankings:

Arizona State is the only school to appear in all five of Playboy's rankings.

Playboy's Top 10 Party Schools 2010

1. University of Texas at Austin

2. West Virginia University

3. University of Wisconsin-Madison

4. University of Miami

5. East Carolina University

6. Arizona State University

7. Rollins College

8. University of California-Santa Barbara

9. Plymouth State University

10. University of Iowa

"Best in Class"

Hottest Girls: Arizona State University

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Hate to be a downer, Gary, but having your school on the 'Top 10 Party School' list doesn't really give the school any positive credibility. I mean, some people are going to see that and start getting negitive feelings about that kind of thing.

Although I will admit this... It's funny as all hell to see Iowa on this list, but I know for a good reason why Iowa is a party school: The bars in Iowa City allowed the college kids (18 and older) to drink (But that's going to change soon)

Yeah, because dropping out of the top ten this year clearly means we've become a university of prudes. Idiot.

Archived