Blue Jays 80's Night

Has2916

Anyways, they brought them out for one night in August of 2009, and they looked as sweet as ever

7335_272653350050_583265050_9111775_4331020_n.jpg

If they only went the full set, by using the pants and the blue shoes. It would of been even more sweet than it already was.

It does sure bring back memories though ( we'll photoshop Rios out of this picture of course ).

4kv29i.jpg

I'm not a Blue Jays fan (though I certainly don't hate them by any means), but I would throw a mini-party if the Blue Jays went back to wearing these uniforms again.

alomar_roberto_big_381.jpgmlb_a_alomar1_sw_576.jpg

If they had never changed, these uniforms would be classics right now.

For all the retro nights the Jays have had over the years they've only worn the World Series era uniforms ONCE, every other flashback has been either to 1977 or 1979, you know - the team's worst seasons.

Anyways, they brought them out for one night in August of 2009, and they looked as sweet as ever

It's really sweet that they did that, but I believe the stripes on the pants are wrong.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

It's really sweet that they did that, but I believe the stripes on the pants are wrong.

Yes, they wore the current 2001-Pres home pants

Well that's pretty half-a**ed if I do say so myself!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Well, aside from any personal biases, the blue uniforms WERE their road uniforms for most of the 80s, so it makes sense that they wore them for 80s night.

If only they were playing a road game...

Right, but the point i was trying to make was that the big centered logo pullover still makes much more sense than the button down uncentered logo championship years unis, considering its EIGHTIES night.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I'm not a Blue Jays fan (though I certainly don't hate them by any means), but I would throw a mini-party if the Blue Jays went back to wearing these uniforms again.

If they had never changed, these uniforms would be classics right now.

For all the retro nights the Jays have had over the years they've only worn the World Series era uniforms ONCE, every other flashback has been either to 1977 or 1979, you know - the team's worst seasons.

Yes, and those were worn against the orioles as well.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I know this maybe a stupid question to some of you but what is the font on those 80's Jays uniforms?

Probably custom, but if it has a name, it'd probably be something like "Awesome Sans".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I know this maybe a stupid question to some of you but what is the font on those 80's Jays uniforms?

Probably custom, but if it has a name, it'd probably be something like "Awesome Sans".

Look up eriqjaffe and his fonts. He has a Jays font that you could use in his mlb set, if I remember right you use lowercase to get the split letters.

Sweet? Hardly. The World Series era set was sweet. The retro alternates the Jays wear are based off of the 1979-88 roads, which in turn were a variation of a cheaply made uniform set made to compensate for a late name change (they were originally scheduled to take the field as the Blues).

They were never going to take the field as the Blues (that was just the preference of Paul Godfrey), if anything they were closer to taking the field as the Toronto Giants... Late name change? They announced the name in August of the previous season, they had plenty of time.

If I'm not mistaken, Toronto was only going to be the Giants, because the San Francisco Giants were going to be sold and moved to Toronto for the 1976 season. That fell through, Labatt's got an expansion team for the 1977 season and named them after Labatt's Blue.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

Sweet? Hardly. The World Series era set was sweet. The retro alternates the Jays wear are based off of the 1979-88 roads, which in turn were a variation of a cheaply made uniform set made to compensate for a late name change (they were originally scheduled to take the field as the Blues).

They were never going to take the field as the Blues (that was just the preference of Paul Godfrey), if anything they were closer to taking the field as the Toronto Giants... Late name change? They announced the name in August of the previous season, they had plenty of time.

If I'm not mistaken, Toronto was only going to be the Giants, because the San Francisco Giants were going to be sold and moved to Toronto for the 1976 season. That fell through, Labatt's got an expansion team for the 1977 season and named them after Labatt's Blue.

Regarding the Giants... No kidding, eh? :)

Labatt's didn't name the team after Labatt's Blue (at least not officially), they held one of them there name-the-team contests and Blue Jays was selected... one of my favourite quotes from Paul Godfrey was "I think fans will shorten the name and just call them 'the Blues' anyways".

Nearly thirty years later in 2003 while introducing the new uniforms that say "JAYS" across the front, the very same Paul Godfrey said, "Fans call them 'the Jays' anyways and we want to acknowledge that"... and psst, they did consider officially changing the team name to "Toronto Jays", for the final few games of the 2003 season all in-stadium references to Blue Jays were changed to Jays

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

My mistake then. Chalk that up to bad info. Still doesn't change my opinion that the Jays' pre-88 looks were all terribly bush league though.

Toronto Giants would have been interesting though.

Perfection.

I just picked up a Molitor '93 Blue Jays jersey, a jersey and a player awesome enough to make me look past the astounding egg the White Sox laid in the '93 ALCS. That light blue really pops a lot more in person than it does in photos. Well, either that, or Mitchell & Ness got the color wrong. Either way, it makes a fantastic jersey look even better.

If the Jays went back to that look full-time, including the royal blue alternate, I'm guessing the number of complaints and objections would be somewhere in the zero range.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The WS unis were their best.

And the blue alt that went with it was awesome as well. I've been trying to get mt hands on one of those forever. I do have an authentic Joe Carter shirt from this era too. Wore it a lot when it fit.

sig-1.png

And the blue alt that went with it was awesome as well. I've been trying to get mt hands on one of those forever. I do have an authentic Joe Carter shirt from this era too. Wore it a lot when it fit.

I believe that hitting home runs off of Mitch Williams is a conscious choice that makes you a sinner. Joe Carter will burn in hell some day.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My mistake then. Chalk that up to bad info. Still doesn't change my opinion that the Jays' pre-88 looks were all terribly bush league though.

Toronto Giants would have been interesting though.

They did make a Toronto Giants logo (at least the cap)... if you look through the Toronto Star archives to January 1976 you'll see the front page of the sports section showing a photo of the press conference with the new cap (black with an orange G iirc), it was also interesting to see articles noting about Toronto being in the NL West for the first few seasons, how they'll open their inaugural season at home vs. the Dodgers... it's like for that one day an alternate time line was reality.

---

Chris Creamer

I believe that hitting home runs off of Mitch Williams is a conscious choice that makes you a sinner. Joe Carter will burn in hell some day.

Giving Roy (and a perfect game!) to the Phillies makes it all even :P

---

Chris Creamer

Giving Roy (and a perfect game!) to the Phillies makes it all even tongue.gif

I'd gladly give him back* if there was some way I could see Kruk, Dykstra, Daulton, Schilling, et al raise that trophy. F'ing Joe Carter.

*assuming I get to also erase the Cliff Lee trade.

Archived