Australian Football League concepts

mcrosby

I've been watching a lot of Aussie football lately, good ole ESPN and insomnia, and I really like the creativity of the jumpers/guernseys/unis/whatever you want to call em. I've made one uni for each of the teams and will be posting them alphabetically as often as possible. If you're an AFL fan, please forgive any traditions I may not know of, this is mostly an aesthetic redesign.

The first few are nothing too special, but bear with me and some more creativity is sure to come.

Without further adieu, first up are the Adelaide Crows. I was going to go with an oversized crow across the front, but I just really like the stripes of the AFL, so I went with a whole lot of em for the Crows.

AdelaideCrows.png

Next up are the Brisbane Lions. I used their current lion logo but simplified it to that it's a bit closer to their old one, which fans seem to like more. I flipped the blue and maroon and added a thin gold stripe to separate the two on the back a bit more. I love their current jumpers, and tried to avoid change for the sake of change with this one.

BrisbaneLions.png

The Adelaide one could work as a clash jumper with a white base and adding a navy stripe here and there.

Not sure about the Brisbane one though, the yellow needs to be a bit brighter. I'd probably also use the old Fitzroy 'Lion' logo as what they use now is, well, crap.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I dunno Matt, I think those colors work for the Lions here. Shoot, there's even historical precedent on crosby's side. The Crows jumper reminds me of a short-lived Bullets uniform (which, as I mentioned in my Bullets/Wizards concept thread, I believe was only worn for two seasons):

061910-Manute-Bol-Gallery-SW-9_20100619150512_600_400.JPG

Basically, like the above photo, it's not the classic that the real thing is. That said, it's damn good.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I was hoping you'd come across this thread Discrim, I love your Aussie concepts, I hope to keep getting C&C from you in this one.

That said, two more.

For the Carlton Blues I didn't do much at all. I'm not exactly sure, but the Blues feel like the Penn State of the AFL. As in, the simpler the better. I like that, so all I did here was break up the straight blue with a little bit of white. I don't think it's too radical of a change for them.

CarltonBlues.png

Next up are the Collingwood Magpies. The thing that really caught my attention with the AFL was the use of oversized logos, and how well that was executed. I tried to do just that with the Magpies. I was going to update the magpie logo like Brisbane did with theirs, but for now I'm going to stick with this one, if there are enough people that say "go ahead and update it" then I'll go back and do just that. C&C please.

CollingwoodMagpies-1.png

Here's a bump-since the last two haven't garnered much C&C (I realize it's not been that long), as well as another concept.

I present the Essendon Bombers. The Dons pretty much own the red stripe on black, so here it is again-with a few revisions. A thin black and thicker silver outline have been added around the stripe, as well as "ESSENDON" on front and a small bomber on the back. The "ESSENDON" should follow the same curve as the stripe, but with just Paint that's easier said than done-so use your imaginations. Again, C&C is greatly appreciated.

EssendonBombers.png

I like the idea behind Collingwood, but I think the magpie needs a white outline so it doesn't blend in with the black stripes. Not feeling Essendon. I know you don't know about traditions and such, but I think the outlines on the red stripe and the writing are a downgrade. Love your series though, keep it up.

I, too, have watched a little Aussie football on ESPN, and it's actually really fun to watch!

But to the concepts, I really like most of these!

Adelaide - The stripes look really good, and the colors work well together too.

Brisbane - I don't know the difference between their different lion logos, but this one looks really good. I like the half marron/half navy too.

Carlton - As you said, seems to be the Penn State of the league, so not much to say there.

Collingwood - These might be my favorites. I actually like how the bird kind of blends in to the uniform...it gives a really cool effect with the positive and negative space. I wouldn't touch it.

Essendon - These aren't bad, but they're my least favorites of the bunch. The stripe is shaped a lot like a beauty pageant sash, and reminds me a lot of this... wink.gif

red-stripe-lager-21353615.jpg

Thanks for the thorough C&C mbannon92. Collingwood is one of my favorites of the series. As I said earlier the red stripe is an Essendon thing, it's just what they do. I think that quite possibly putting the "ESSENDON" on it has made it pageant-like. I think I'll try something different there. Fremantle and Geelong are up next, but I'll hold off on posting them a bit longer.

Carlton: yeh, not much you could really do there. the blue seems a bit light, though.

Collingwood: i like the effect you got goin here, with the magpie sort of standing out by blending in, if you can make sense of that.

Essendon: I figure this would've turned out a bit better with the bomber silhouette on the front of the sash. The Essendon wordmark on the front here makes me wanna shout "Red Stripe! It's Beer! Hooray Beer!" In the bad way. The silver outline's an okay touch though.

2016cubscreamsig.png

Rule of thumb for AFL jumpers is that detail is quickly lost in the blur of movement. Big blocks of colour work best - so I'd say the pinstriping on Adelaide and Essendon would be hard to appreciate on field. Similarly I think having the bird across the front would make Collingwood's stripes less striking.

On a more minor note, apparel sponsors are chosen by each team so ISC actually sponsors none of those teams. If you're not going for full detail (like no front sponsors) I'd remove ISC completely rather than use it in lieu of whatever company each team really uses. At the very least I'd fill the logo in to match colour with the jumper.

As a disclaimer I should note Aussie Rules is my game.

I grew up with it, played it, Essendon is based 5 mins walk from where I grew up.

Essendon have been wearing a red sash since 1875.

That's one year before the Battle of Little Big Horn, and Alexander Graham Bell asked Mr Watson "can I just see you for a second?"

ie a very long time.

Similarly, Carlton have worn a plain Blue jumper since their inception even earlier, though that was punctuated by a period when the reinfocring of their canvas jerkins was made of a chamois material at the start of the 1900s.

That out of the way, if Carlton was for another team, or was being critiqued by someone less married to the tradtions of the game, I would say it's the best of them.

Strong, yet the white sides would some balance against other teams who wear dark jumpers aginst them.

Adelaide is another I like, though as mentioned above, probably wouldn't be practical in a match situation.

Collingwood. Well, I hate them, so it's hard to say anything positive. (That's the club, not the concept)

Essendon, well, they're my team and have worn the same designs for over 120 years. So it's hard to accept silver as a club colour,even if it is in the logo.

If it were for another club, I would say it was a nice design, though the bomber on the back looks out of place.

As a suggestion, if the bomber were the club logo above the numbers, that might appeal to me more.

Brisbane looks upside down to me. The Blue and the Maroon that is.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Updates are on the way-it's move out/move in weekend here on campus so i'm very busy.

Remember, I had to try to make all of these my own in one way or another, a main reason for the Brisbane color switch, along with the silver of Essendon. More to come, now worries, just in a day or two.

Thanks for the current C&C, you know I could always use more.

Edit: I must agree, while doing research for Essendon I found that the red sash was extremely historic, and the logo just doesn't seem to fit with that. I could do a new logo, but this is more of a jumper's concept than logos.

and to rmered, I know you may hate Collingwood, but I would love some actual input on the jumper, as it is one of my favorites.

alright I'm back. I've got 2 options for Fremantle, I can't decide which I like better/which direction I should take it, that's where you guys come in. I didn't include sponsors, I'll add those when I get a finalized set.

The first is closer to the current, with some changes like the socks and numbers.

FremantleDockers.png

The second is similar but different. The half and half look is something I really like, but it does clutter up the numbers.

FremantleDockers2.png

were the numbers on the first Freo jumper inspired by Miami's Pro Combats by any chance? anyways, stylistically, I prefer the first jumper, though the numbers could use a thicker outline. the second seems like too much of a departure. yeah, funny, me saying that.

any chance you're gonna post some aways and clashes?

2016cubscreamsig.png

Updates are on the way-it's move out/move in weekend here on campus so i'm very busy.

Remember, I had to try to make all of these my own in one way or another, a main reason for the Brisbane color switch, along with the silver of Essendon. More to come, now worries, just in a day or two.

Thanks for the current C&C, you know I could always use more.

Edit: I must agree, while doing research for Essendon I found that the red sash was extremely historic, and the logo just doesn't seem to fit with that. I could do a new logo, but this is more of a jumper's concept than logos.

and to rmered, I know you may hate Collingwood, but I would love some actual input on the jumper, as it is one of my favorites.

essend2.gif

Essendon team of 1877, at their first ground with a fence.

(They were the first team to have a fence)

The guy circled was thought to be the captain, and is only there because this is the only pic I have of the 1877 team.

(He wasn't, the captain is the guy next to him)

Collingwood jumper.

I think the mapgie gets lost on the black stripes.

Like bboy, I think a white outline would improve it dramatically.

Freo jumpers are really nice. Though I would prefer white numbers as well.

I guess I would have also preferred to see the logo on the front fit into the section it lives in. The sides eat up some of the outline.

I love the Port and Starboard touch on the socks, though I wonder if the players would get it right when they put them on.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Have the Brisbane Lions ever been sued by the English Premier League? Or vice versa?

No, and doubt it would ever happen too.

Fitzroy Lions merged with Brisbane Bears to form Brisbane Lions.

Their lion logo, used from 1968 to 2009 was this:

250px-FitzroyLogo.png

The EPL's side on lion looked like this:

epl+logo.png

Similar, but different enough.

Then, a few years ago the EPL changed to this:

epl_logo.jpg

And last year Brisbane plonked this head on the existing body to make this:

Brisbane-logo-2010.gifBrisbane-2010.gif

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Archived