An NHL Alternate History: Carolina Whalers

Vidboy

After looking at knnhrvy16's thread about the Phoenix Jets. I was inspired to make another one similar to his. Instead, I was thinking to myself, What would be an interesting combination for the old team name and the current city of the moved team, so at first i thought to myself, Colorado Nordiques? Nonono... Quebec Avalanche? They already exsist... Hartford Hurricanes? Idk, Seems kinda bland.

But then...

I got it! CAROLINA WHALERS!!!

But like knnhrvy16 in his thread, The main goal for this project isn't how much how good the uniform looks, but how realistic the uniform history is, like as in trying to make it look like they would actually wear it. So a further a do, Lets get to the concepts!

1998-1999:The Inagural Season

After the broken hearts in Hartford (No pun intended) on the last game in April 1997, the Whalers Moved the North Carolina to be called the "Carolina Whalers". For the Whalers inaugural season in Carolina, A green "C" withe a blue whale tail to represent there old logo that they had in Hartford as there primary crest, and Puckey the Whale was on there Shoulder crest, And a inaugural season patch to symbolize the celebration of there first season in Carolina.

carilinawhalers.png

carolinawhalersaway1998.png

carolinawhalershome1998.png

inaugural.png

NASLUND.pngLINDEN.pngSMYL.png

WHOA!! WHOA!! WHOA!!

First of all, I've never seen that topic before.

Second of all, I only see THIS design in that topic thats close to my design.

And third of all, I would never steal somebodies logo, that would be a plagiaristic thing to do.

And besides, as "Shane Does Art" said, It looks hardly stolen.

Hardly stolen. Doesn't take a creative genius to take the Hartford Whalers logo and swap the "H" for a "C".

I never said it was a good concept. In fact i wasn't very happy with it, but the "C" is clearly from my awful concept. Not cool, awful or not.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

It's a "C". I still don't see the similarities aside from the fact you both incorporated the letter "C" and used the Whaler colours.

I mean there's only so many ways you can design a "C".

Also, I wasn't trying to bad mouth your concept or anything, just saying for a concept like this, it's not like you were the first to consider using the "C" in a Whalers concept based in a city starting with "C".

Hi, how are you?

Hardly stolen. Doesn't take a creative genius to take the Hartford Whalers logo and swap the "H" for a "C".

I never said it was a good concept. In fact i wasn't very happy with it, but the "C" is clearly from my awful concept. Not cool, awful or not.

Did you even read the post above? Look dude, I said I didn't steal it!

How hard is it to put a letter with a whale tale? I mean really, it's not a far cry from this old logo

BinghamtonWhalers8490.GIF

in idea alone.

If the tale were vertical, I might give the claim some merit, but really, this seems like coincidence. Personally, I don't think these logos are all that similar.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I think i got off point. I don't mean so much as in he stole a "concept" as in he stole artwork, as in the modified whale tale and the letter "C" that has been chopped to :censored:...

be8d672e.png

sB9ijEj.png

The tail, upon close inspection, could just as easily been copied from the original Whalers logo as it could be from yours. The differences between the three are minuscule.

I guess the real question is where the C came from. Is it a specific font? Could that be a coincidence? idk.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Listen, i'm not going to bust down your door and beat the snot out of you. Just in the future, don't take other people's artwork and re-work it as your own.

P.S. The tail in the original Hartford Whalers logo had a straight base. Yours curves at the base identically to mine. That was the tip-off...

sB9ijEj.png

It always makes me laugh how so many people are fine with any type of work being ripped off. Who cares how easy it is to do? That's not the point. Maybe when it's your own work being stolen as opposed to someone else's, you tend not to really give a crap. Doesn't make it any better. Hell, I've had people pass off some historical jerseys I did for spec work as their own, and all I did was transfer a vintage design onto a 3D template. It's still thievery and it's unacceptable at any level.

It always makes me laugh how so many people are fine with any type of work being ripped off. Who cares how easy it is to do? That's not the point. Maybe when it's your own work being stolen as opposed to someone else's, you tend not to really give a crap. Doesn't make it any better. Hell, I've had people pass off some historical jerseys I did for spec work as their own, and all I did was transfer a vintage design onto a 3D template. It's still thievery and it's unacceptable at any level.

I assume you're referring to my post.

I'm not fine with ripping off the work of others. I just didn't see the similarities until there was a visual aid. Before that the only similarity I say was a "C".

Hi, how are you?

Archived