Denver Broncos throwback jersey

Slater

My first thought was that the jersey was something the Broncos actually used in the 80s and they'd just gotten the dates wrong, but some quick googling makes me think someone just didn't do their research. The Broncos actually did use a SIMILAR striping pattern towards the end of Jackson's career, but the white and blue stripes were all the same size.

orangecrushfinal.jpg

My first thought was that the jersey was something the Broncos actually used in the 80s and they'd just gotten the dates wrong, but some quick googling makes me think someone just didn't do their research. The Broncos actually did use a SIMILAR striping pattern towards the end of Jackson's career, but the white and blue stripes were all the same size.

orangecrushfinal.jpg

Although it sort of looks like it in the photo above, the blue and white stripes were never the same size. That photo is from either 1976 or 1977, as those were the only years the Broncos wore the socks with three orange stripes outlined in white. The two following pics have a little more detail so we can better see the sleeve striping from those years:

1976_11_07_ChavousB.jpg

TJ_r.jpg

The team changed the striping pattern to thin blue-thicker white-thin blue in 1989, several years after Jackson retired:

DS_f.jpg

Although I may seem to be a "homer," I must say that I am not a fan of any of these Broncos's sets. I never liked the original sleeve striping pattern on the home jerseys, and when they finally modified it they kept the old striping on the socks, which made no sense to me! I never liked the orange-blue-orange striping on the white pants, either, and thought it was definitely an upgrade when they switched to blue-thick orange-blue in '85:

gV0oPD2mXqy4ulI.jpg

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Why do those old jerseys have the NFL shield on the collar? Didn't that start in '91 or '92?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why do those old jerseys have the NFL shield on the collar? Didn't that start in '91 or '92?

The Dennis Smith jersey (number 49) is from 1993, as you can see from the small tag next to the Wilson tag. I just used that photo as an example of the newer style of sleeve striping. Here's one that I believe is from '89 or so:

55648_01_lg.jpg

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

The Dennis Smith jersey (number 49) is from 1993, as you can see from the small tag next to the Wilson tag. I just used that photo as an example of the newer style of sleeve striping. Here's one that I believe is from '89 or so:

55648_01_lg.jpg

Yep. Has to be either 1989 or 1990.

It's totally a branding thing. The shield used is a modified "old" shield, with beige subbed in for white to make it look more vintage, or something. Reebok puts it on all their EQT throwbacks, including my Bart Starr Packers jersey.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So the jerseys that Slater posted are RBK replica jerseys? My impression was that he was trying to determine if they were authentic, which clearly they're not.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived