TV graphics concepts

BrandMooreArt

this is a little personal project of mine i hope to be able to use for my portfolio. i always see the graphics during the games and think to myself, "i can do better" so im taking a shot at it.

the first image is of my scoreboard. im using MYRIAD PRO and AKAchen as my main two fonts on everything right now, but that could change. and yea, the score seems about right, :D also added some scoring graphics

14985s2.png

2ngsnc4.png

118iwcp.png

2w65vnl.png

this would be used when breaking to commercial or coming back

4q4chk.png

the 2nd part is the player profiles. i wanted to make this fairly team specific, using their colors, stripe patterns, and logos. im not sure what i want to do with the background yet, but right now its an overlay onto the on field action

292kwa9.png

21ndq21.png

heres a single player profile

fku15w.png

1jrk89.png

ive decided to go ahead with some branding behind this, being ESPN Monday Night Football. so heres a couple of bugs ill be working into these things.

qyfm9g.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I like it, but you do realise that you've got the wrong teams in that top pic, right...?

Jokes aside, the simplicity of this is what really stands out. However, if some graphical effects and lighting could be added, you'd have a great professional piece.

Not looking for something ridiculous here, like FOX's crazy bells and whistles.

A couple of things.

1) the colts are allowed five timeouts?

2) I think the box should be behind the offense so as not to cover up potentially part of the play or players.

3) how about a playclock?

The two red boxes i would gather are for challenges remaining

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

thanks for the fedback guys. im going to reupload these pics tonight because they somehow got stretcged vertically. so nothing is as tall as it seems here.

CJZ, yea i realize the Pats are in the pic i just chose that one really quick to see how the scoreboard would lay onto the shot.

JQK is correct, the red boxes are challenges. i have thought about a play clock, but wasnt sure if it was entirely neccessary. but i will put one on the scoreboard to see how it works

GRAPHIC ARTIST

A couple of things.

1) the colts are allowed five timeouts?

2) I think the box should be behind the offense so as not to cover up potentially part of the play or players.

3) how about a playclock?

The two red boxes i would gather are for challenges remaining

Doh! I feel dumb.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

ok i fixed the proportions on the player profiles in the original post. it was PS's stupid pixel correction ratio that messed it up. i also played with adding a play clock to the scoreboard but never found anything that really satisfied me. worst case scenario is to put one bottom right of the screen

GRAPHIC ARTIST

A few things. Actually, details mean a lot. Even if it's a concept in it's early stages, you shouldn't have the graphic showing the wrong teams. It just doesn't make sense why you can't use the proper teams, it's what a 5 minute thing to do. Secondly when doing the scoreboard realize that not everyone is going to understand what all those different colored dots are. I had no clue and I watch football, so think of the person that is a casual viewer. Also the use of Futura is a poor choice. It is too thin of a font and is difficult to read. Think about the viewer at home on a not HD tv with a 15 inch screen. Yes, they are still out there and probably just as many people have screens 19" or less today than have HD tv. Even if you have a 25" tv, HD is mighty small, so your graphic is going to be that much smaller, I would say somewhere between 25%-50% smaller than you intend it to be. The other font is to bulky and to be honest, your best best would be to use one font. Throw on top of it, the graphics are just very flat and unappealing.

A few things. Actually, details mean a lot. Even if it's a concept in it's early stages, you shouldn't have the graphic showing the wrong teams. It just doesn't make sense why you can't use the proper teams, it's what a 5 minute thing to do. Secondly when doing the scoreboard realize that not everyone is going to understand what all those different colored dots are. I had no clue and I watch football, so think of the person that is a casual viewer. Also the use of Futura is a poor choice. It is too thin of a font and is difficult to read. Think about the viewer at home on a not HD tv with a 15 inch screen. Yes, they are still out there and probably just as many people have screens 19" or less today than have HD tv. Even if you have a 25" tv, HD is mighty small, so your graphic is going to be that much smaller, I would say somewhere between 25%-50% smaller than you intend it to be. The other font is to bulky and to be honest, your best best would be to use one font. Throw on top of it, the graphics are just very flat and unappealing.

Haha, I was tempted to mention the use of Futura. It's a tough typeface to use in general. I try to stay away from it. I agree that the graphics are flat on screen. Add some depth to them whether it be by drop shadows or something else.

Cool idea though. It's something that would be unexpected in a portfolio.

This is something I do at work. We did the Champions League Hockey a while back.

here is an example with some of the bits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt_yYlYmNl0

There are quiet a few isues you should be aware of when doing this sort of stuff.

1. Action and title safe. You ned to make sure all your text falls inside the text safe area.

vp_20.png

2. Legibility. This is a real pain, but much of the text in your illustrations wouldn't pass the harding test. If its too fine it will cause flickering on the screen and if its too small, you wont be able to see it. Bare in mind lowest common denominator screens which only have 480 pixels of hight in NTSC countries.

3. In your bug you did first, try to account for the worst case scenario in which you may have to include time out information, penalty info etc etc. Basically every in game piece of info.

4. Branding. The reality of this stuff is that all this stuff will be branded in some way. sometimes subtly. often not.

5. Bare in mind all this stuff would need to animate, perhaps try and break down into modules how this would work.

Its very easy to look at the stuff on tele and say its crap, it often is, but its vastly more complex than you initially would assume. I know this from experience.

thanks guys, the last few post have given me a lot to go over.

BlueSky the >25 on the scoreboard is the yard line of the line of scrimmage. it not perfect on that picture, more like the 22.

oddball, is there a sans-serif font you could suggest? ive also considered using Universe

Davidson, as far as branding goes, do you think i should add a network's logo/identity? or even a faux network like "XYZ sports"?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

made a few changes, all in the first post. im really thinking about adding ESPN's MNF branding to this. that may give me better direction

also, im kind of struggling with pictures, if you guys have any or know where i can get some decent game shots, please pass a link.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

thanks guys, the last few post have given me a lot to go over.

BlueSky the >25 on the scoreboard is the yard line of the line of scrimmage. it not perfect on that picture, more like the 22.

oddball, is there a sans-serif font you could suggest? ive also considered using Universe

Davidson, as far as branding goes, do you think i should add a network's logo/identity? or even a faux network like "XYZ sports"?

Actually the 18. Yeah, I know this is only a concept in a web forum, and I'm not trying to give you a hard time. But as another poster mentioned, a lack of attention to detail usually makes work submitted professionally into practice material for trashcan basketball.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

BlueSky, you're absolutely right about attention to details. to be honest i havent gotten to the point yet where im looking at all the details in the photos, this is still concept work, right out of the sketch pad and im just trying to figure out how i want these to fit on screen. but i have replaced ">22" with "IND 18" and you will see it in the next wave of scoreboard updates.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Archived