K-State Re-Brand

bohob

I originally drew this Cougar logo for a Tennessee Smokies concept I was working on (a continuation of MiLB Re-Brands), but I decided it looked much more suitable for a college program. I then decided on Kansas State over Northwestern, Kentucky, and Arizona, among others. Here's the result. I usually don't work illustration then team, but this one just kind of worked out. C&C please.

wildcats_id.jpg

The wildcat looks more scared/hesitant than fierce. Also, the wildcat's front foot is all purple, while the back foot (or tail) is silver. This is inconsistent and makes it look slightly awkward. I'd add silver detail to the front foot of the wildcat.

The wordmark seems a bit bland, but many college teams can pull of that look, so that is not a major problem.

The supporting logo is beautiful, though. Very nice work, as usual, bohob.

The cat looks more annoyed than anything. Like if you were trying to pet it and it turned it's head to say "Excuse me, WTF are you doin'?" In addition the scruffy fur is over done. The outline makes it more visible than it normally would be, but I think a "sleeker" cat might be more effective.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

It's the eyes. The eyes are very weak. Also, in this era, I'm not sure a major program would adopt a wordmark that's made in a non-proprietary (trademarkable) font (at least as their primary.) I'd customize that just a little bit.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

this is a very nice logo, overall - a few nitpicks...i'd make the right (from our perspective) side of the nose/snout purple and put it in shadow to give the face a bit more depth (that little patch of white looks out of place) - i agree that the cat could be a bit more sleek (especially on the back and tail) and the eyes could use a bit more ferocity...maybe turn them downward 15 degrees, or so - the head only logo is cut in an awkward spot, as well...maybe show a bit more of the neck?

jldesigns404eo.png

I'm not sure a major program would adopt a wordmark that's made in a non-proprietary (trademarkable) font (at least as their primary.) I'd customize that just a little bit.

coughPennStatecough

/just sayin

:upside:

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Not sure I am feeling this. As was stated earlier, I think it's a downgrade from their current identity. I think the thing that is bothering me is the "looking back" profile of the cat. I think this would be better if it was looking forward and attacking.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

I'm not sure a major program would adopt a wordmark that's made in a non-proprietary (trademarkable) font (at least as their primary.) I'd customize that just a little bit.

coughPennStatecough

/just sayin

upside.gif

They don't use that custom italicized 80s looking wordmark anymore?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like the style and the rendering, but the problem here is the general pose of the animal. As someone else mentioned, he looks "annoyed", like someone's been following him and he's turned back to hiss at them. I think the logo of the head by itself is fine (though that one VERY thick purple stroke looks out of place), but the stance of the full-body wildcat is just too passive for the nickname or the style of the illustration. I also think that the head logo doesn't fit in the space between the K and the STATE. I'd try to put some claw marks there, since they could almost function as a hyphen.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Good concept, but for K-State this is a downgrade. Especially since they've been so defensive of this logo in recent years.

IMO, they have a solid logo that's really going to be hard to improve upon.

Kansas_State_Wildcats.gif

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Not sure I am feeling this. As was stated earlier, I think it's a downgrade from their current identity. I think the thing that is bothering me is the "looking back" profile of the cat. I think this would be better if it was looking forward and attacking.

Impaler, it's looking back because he was almost beheaded on a severe facemasking blown call.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Impaler, it's looking back because he was almost beheaded on a severe facemasking blown call.

LOL!! Well played sir! I am still miffed at that blown call and how KSU fans hold it up like some sort of trophy!

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Archived