MLB All-Time Champions' League

Viper

Five posts to go until #2,000... and the stage is set at last for the All-Time World Series!

All-Time American League Championship Series:

New York Yankees 1927 vs. Cleveland Indians 1920

All-Time National League Championship Series:

Florida Marlins 1997 vs. Chicago Cubs 1907

All-Time World Series

Cleveland Indians 1920

vs.

Florida Marlins 1997

And, since Fox is no longer using it, here's the All-Time Champions' League theme music:

CCSLC signature.png

Five posts to go until #2,000... and the stage is set at last for the All-Time World Series!

All-Time American League Championship Series:

New York Yankees 1927 vs. Cleveland Indians 1920

All-Time National League Championship Series:

Florida Marlins 1997 vs. Chicago Cubs 1907

All-Time World Series

Cleveland Indians 1920

vs.

Florida Marlins 1997

I never really took that Marlins team for being ridiculously good when they played. It certainly raises questions about how good 1997 Atlanta and 1997 Cleveland was.
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I never really took that Marlins team for being ridiculously good when they played. It certainly raises questions about how good 1997 Atlanta and 1997 Cleveland was.

Another possibility is that the '97 Marlins just happened to be perfectly built for a postseason run. Hardly dominant in the regular season, but a juggernaut in a best-of-seven series.

One thing's for sure though: If I had run this league in 1998, and word got out about it to the folks in Miami, Wayne Huizenga would have had to go into hiding, if not the Witness Protection Program.

CCSLC signature.png

What the :censored: is up with everyone using the spoiler thing? Also, the 1920 Indians vs. The 1997 Marlins?

I figure if the results are spoilered, we might as well not reveal the winners sans spoilers in the discussion.
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's been a couple of days now, and by now we're far enough down the page from my results post that we probably don't need the spoiler tags anymore.

Anyway, before I get to the grand finale, I've been thinking about where to take this from here. I mentioned in the original post that I was thinking about turning the championship into a virtual "belt" that would be defended each year by the new Series champion. However it has occurred to me that whoever wins the WS this year, unless it's the Yankees again (which seems unlikely at this stage) would have qualified for the ATCL if I'd waited until after the Series to hold it. (The Phillies because their 2010 regular-season record surpassed their '08 record; the Giants because it would be their first championship in San Francisco; the Rangers because it would be their first championship, period.)

Also, I'm struck by all the players who have missed significant time due to injury. Most notably, Lou Gehrig (!) missed the latter part of the regular season and the '27 Yankees' entire postseason with a sprained ankle. Would they have made the ATWS with a healthy Iron Horse? Actually, this points to quite an interesting dilemma in a historical league like this one: To leave injuries and other extended absences in the league setup, or turn them off? On the one hand, injuries are part of the game. On the other hand, it kind of defeats the purpose of having an All-Time Champions' League if its best players are out and its teams are this severely compromised by injury at the most critical time of the year. Instead of the best team of all time, are we really just seeing which one is just the luckiest in terms of surviving attrition?

So, instead of pitting the 2010 champs against the 1920 Indians or the 1997 Marlins next month, what I may do is run the ATCL again sometime next year (for my 2,500th post, perhaps) but with injuries turned off and the 2010 champs in the mix. If I run an ATCL 2.0, I might also scrap the 20-year rule, or at least reduce it to 5 or 10 years, and make a few other changes too.

CCSLC signature.png

And now, at long last, I have arrived at post #2,000 on CCSLC!

Just as I promised, to mark the occasion, I now bring the MLB All-Time Champions' League to its unforgettable and insanely improbable conclusion. I never would have guessed this All-Time World Series matchup in a million years... and yet, here we are.

Nothing else to do now but get to it.

All-Time World Series:

Cleveland Indians 1920 vs. Florida Marlins 1997

Major League Baseball

All-Time World Champions

When I first created the All-Time Champions' League and selected the 32 participating historical teams, this was absolutely the last team I expected to come out on top. They didn't even win their division in 1997, but went on an improbable postseason run, culminating in their first World Series crown in just the fifth year of their franchise's existence. After the '97 Series, team owner Wayne Huizenga promptly broke up the squad in that infamous "fire sale". Even after his team's disastrous '98 season, he had no idea how much that would come back to haunt him, for now Huizenga is on the hook for all eternity as the man who dismantled the All-Time World Champions of Major League Baseball... the

Florida Marlins 1997

CCSLC signature.png

Archived