Nfl Uniforms

WideRight

Every time a new uniform comes out, my theory of what is going on gets proven some more. The NFL is slowly adjusting to the armless jersey trend. With no sleeves, shoulder stripes (Colts) and sleeve stripes (Bears, Browns, etc), in other words "old school" striping doesn't work well. The stripes can't go all the way around the sleeve/armpit, so they look ridiculous.

So, the NFL is pushing color blocks: swoops (DEN) side panels (BUF, CIN), shoulder panels (TEN), sleeve colors (ATL) instead of old style stripes.

I would be surprised if all new uniforms don't keep this trend up for a while.

The days of most players wearing 1/2 length sleeves, with stripes near the

end, are gone. For all our complaining about the color mish-mash on some jerseys (BUF) we have to admit that this is largely due to the jersey cut and

the NFL's attempts to compensate for it. Just like teams don't wear leather helmets, khaki canvas pants and wool sweaters anymore, I think we are

watching a jump in the evolution of uniforms. Wishing teams would go back

to the mesh, screened on, sleeved and striped uniforms of the 1970's just

ain't gonna make it so.

I totally agree. I think the new Bengals, Bills, Broncos, and Falcons uni's are all terrible. The Nfl is going all futuristic and starting to look very arena football like. Whats funny is that the NBA is trying to go old school while the NFL is going future school.

Yeah, I never considered it in terms of the functional reasons--players now want much less sleeve than even a decade ago. I say leave the stripes. If the players cut them off, so be it. At least the kickers and punters will display it.

A agree with the above: Buffalo, Atlanta, Cinci and Denver :puke:

I hope the different-colored sleeve and/or shoulder trend does not catch on. It's fare too cartoonish.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Nfl is going all futuristic and starting to look very arena football like.

while the league is sort of taking the course of progress (?), folks gotta stop throwing around "Arena football-like" and "CFL-like" and similar terms. heck, some of em actually look *gasp* traditional. and there go some people with their minds stuck in 1991 and those fugly Zubaz unis.

nothin personal, i've just been tired of people saying that type of thing

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The Nfl is going all futuristic and starting to look very arena football like.

while the league is sort of taking the course of progress (?), folks gotta stop throwing around "Arena football-like" and "CFL-like" and similar terms. heck, some of em actually look *gasp* traditional. and there go some people with their minds stuck in 1991 and those fugly Zubaz unis.

nothin personal, i've just been tired of people saying that type of thing

amen. The Bengals may be the only recent jersey to come out in the past few years that I haven't liked. I even like the Bills jerseys.

And the Bengals changing had nothing to do with the change in sleeve lentghs.

I'm glad the NFL does tackle twill now. It looks far more professional. I just wish they would sell football jerseys in that 'one layer' tackle twill like I see for basketball jerseys.

IUe6Hvh.png

All the jerseys in the NFL look so high-schoolish.

I disagree.

I actually had typed out a whole rant on the subject, but decided against posting it after even I got bored reading it.

In short, high schoolish (to me at least) means big-block-lettered school name above numbers on front, two colours in the scheme, and the first name of the school or the school's nickname on the helmet. That's typical high school. Very few NFL teams look like this.

The NFL has some teams that are trying different things. Opinions vary, but general knowledge would say the Broncos are okay (mostly because they won 2 SB's... the look itself divides public opinion very harshly), the Seahawks are alright (although again, public opinion quite divided), the Jets and Giants went safe and retro, the Atlanta Falcons are doing okay (Vick #7 sells jerseys, not the new sleeve pattern, but it's not the travesty we, myself included, proclaimed it to be), and the Bills will change the first reasonable chance they get. The Texans are sitting pretty.

No NFL team looks like any high school team I know, unless it was the high school that ripped the team off completely (Packers, Vikings, and :gasp: Broncos ripoffs are the most common ones I've found).

To say the NFL looks so CFL is a mistake. The CFL tried some stooo-pid jersey experiment in the waning days of the U.S. failures, but if you look at the league today, the Montreal Alouettes are the only ones with a remotely progressive jersey. The CFL is very traditional that way (largely because it Nike wouldn't sell enough jerseys to make it worthwhile buying the contract and going Miami all over the league).

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I admit it. I'm wrong. The Cardinals look like a high school team.

Some would say they play like one too. :D

Come on, that's rude, disrespectful, and degrading.

On behalf of all high school teams in Canada and the U.S, I resent that remark.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

All the jerseys in the NFL look so high-schoolish.

Very few NFL teams look like this.

Thats very few, so some teams look hign-schoolish.

Yes, some teams (more like team - not plural, namely Arizona) look high schoolish. Not all. Not most. Some, if not just one.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived