NBA Tickets

Gregmond

Greetings sports fans! I am a hoops fan from Melbourne (Australia) and am travelling to LA in March 2011 with my wife and kids. While we're in LA, I would love to catch a Lakers game, preferably the March 31 match-up versus the Mavericks or the March 27 matchup against the Hornets. Alternatively, I could live with the Clippers game against the Mavericks (March 31) or the Clippers versus Raptops (March 26) ... but this would be my least preferred option.

My daughter will only be 10 months old, so I don't imagine that I will need a ticket for her (can anyone confirm this?), but my son will be almost 4 and will require a full-price ticket for any game we try to attend.

Couple of questions ...

~ Firstly, where is the best place to buy a ticket ... ticketmaster, stub hub, seat geek, etc.?

~ Secondly, is it possible to buy a cheap ticket (in the 300 sections) and then talk (or bribe) your way into good seats later in the game?

~ Thirdly, is it possible to pick up decent tickets from scalpers outside the arena before the game? Or is that too risky given that I need three tickets and will have little kids in tow?

~ Finally ... if anyone here has season tickets and would be willing to sell me 3 good tickets for a reasonable price to any of the above games, please let me know. I promise I will not re-sell them at a profit.

Any other general ticketing advice would be much appreciated, especially from the experienced hoops fans and/or season ticket holders. The Lakers are going to be hard to stop this year, and I would love to be able to one day say that I saw Kobe and Gasol in person, what a treat that would be.

Thanks,

Greg

Richmond.pngCanucks-1.png49ers-1.pngMariners-2.png

Thanks to Gobbi for the awesome buttons!

Greetings sports fans! I am a hoops fan from Melbourne (Australia) and am travelling to LA in March 2011 with my wife and kids. While we're in LA, I would love to catch a Lakers game, preferably the March 31 match-up versus the Mavericks or the March 27 matchup against the Hornets. Alternatively, I could live with the Clippers game against the Mavericks (March 31) or the Clippers versus Raptops (March 26) ... but this would be my least preferred option.

My daughter will only be 10 months old, so I don't imagine that I will need a ticket for her (can anyone confirm this?), but my son will be almost 4 and will require a full-price ticket for any game we try to attend.

Couple of questions ...

~ Firstly, where is the best place to buy a ticket ... ticketmaster, stub hub, seat geek, etc.?

~ Secondly, is it possible to buy a cheap ticket (in the 300 sections) and then talk (or bribe) your way into good seats later in the game?

~ Thirdly, is it possible to pick up decent tickets from scalpers outside the arena before the game? Or is that too risky given that I need three tickets and will have little kids in tow?

~ Finally ... if anyone here has season tickets and would be willing to sell me 3 good tickets for a reasonable price to any of the above games, please let me know. I promise I will not re-sell them at a profit.

Any other general ticketing advice would be much appreciated, especially from the experienced hoops fans and/or season ticket holders. The Lakers are going to be hard to stop this year, and I would love to be able to one day say that I saw Kobe and Gasol in person, what a treat that would be.

Thanks,

Greg

The price difference between the Clippers and Lakers can be dramatic. The Lakers/Mavericks game is considered a "Premium Game" for the Lakers and is priced higher than a typical regular season game.

Lakers Seating Chart & Single Game Prices

Clippers Seating Chart & Single Game Pricing

Children under the age of 3 do not need a ticket for either a Lakers or Clippers.

Getting a cheap ticket and going down later is more of an option for the Clippers than the Lakers, but I would not bet on it working.

Both teams run a ticket exchange through Ticketmaster which will sell the seats direct from season ticket holders. The Clippers also run specials through their website under "jetBlue email signup". During the season, send emails out weekly with ticket specials, some even 2-for-1.

Couple of questions ...

Thanks,

Greg

- Through the team, be it the Lakers or Clippers, which is basically ticketmaster. Stubhub is also a good option for Staples Center. They have a pickup office down the block from Staples Center.

- Move from the 300s to the lower bowl? At Staples Center? At a Laker game? HA! Unless as an Aussie you can put on your best Russell Crowe imitation, there is no way in hell you're getting into the lower bowl at Staples without mortgaging the farm to get a seat or you know people.

- Scalpers around Staples are pretty good. They don't always seem like the best guys, but the ticket scalping market in LA and especially around Staples is pretty good. Again not the best people, but a great scalping market.

Also just know, that the Lakers tickets are going to be more expensive than the Clippers tickets. And even largely more so if you go to the scaplers.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I would love to be able to one day say that I saw Kobe and Gasol in person, what a treat that would be.

Wouldn't an even better treat be telling people you saw Baron Davis and Blake Griffin in person? :P

As a Clippers fan, I'm thinking (and hoping) that the Lakers/Clippers series will be a lot more intense and competitive this year. The Lakers, well, they're the Lakers, so you know they'll be a spectacle. And the Clippers are a young, athletic team on the rise. You definitely picked the right game to go to.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Ticket Exchange is a really good way to go...at least for the Clippers (speaking from experience), you can often find tickets at about 50-percent of its face value. If you buying tickets directly from Ticketmaster, be aware they'll charge an additional "convenience" fee for your purchases. If you buy directly from the Staples Center box office, you'll avoid the extra charges...you're just paying for the value of the ticket.

The game-night experiences at Clipper and Laker home games are night and day; at least 2/3s of the Laker home crowd are usually there for sight-seeing and not necessarily to watch the game. The few of us left that support the Clippers at their home games are very much into the game.

As far as food options, Staples has McDonald's, Panda Express, and a couple other chain restaurants that services the arena. However, I really recommend not spending money on food there, it's pretty damn pricey (it seems each year I go to games, they jack-up the prices at least 25-50 cents). The L.A. Live complex across the street has plenty of other restaurants (ESPN Zone, Chart House, Lawry's, etc.), and you'll get more value for your money as opposed to buying food in the arena. Many of them have "Happy Hour" specials up until 30 minutes before each game (Laker and Clipper home game start at 7:30pm local time), and several items about about 50-percent off.

Great, thanks for the early tips.

Sounds like we're best off finding some decent-priced tickets in the 200 section and just enjoying the game from our allocated seats. I don't really want to gamble on scalpers, especially with the kids in tow, and I'm not convinced in my powers of manipulation! Probably make an afternoon of it and eat at the LA Live complex, thanks for that tip.

Looks like it will be the Clippers, Lakers simply too expensive!

Richmond.pngCanucks-1.png49ers-1.pngMariners-2.png

Thanks to Gobbi for the awesome buttons!

Great, thanks for the early tips.

Sounds like we're best off finding some decent-priced tickets in the 200 section and just enjoying the game from our allocated seats. I don't really want to gamble on scalpers, especially with the kids in tow, and I'm not convinced in my powers of manipulation! Probably make an afternoon of it and eat at the LA Live complex, thanks for that tip.

Looks like it will be the Clippers, Lakers simply too expensive!

They are too expensive, otherwise I'd go to more Laker games since I'm a Lakers fan. I've been to two Laker games. One they were the road team, and the other, they were the home team. When I saw the Lakers play at home, against the Knicks in that losing season they had a couple of years back, I sat in the 300's and it was about $250 per ticket, in a losing season! I also saw a Clipper/Laker game with the Clips being the home team. I sat in the lower section for $119 per ticket. Not bad at all. (It was the Laker game where Andrew Bynum scored 42, and I can personally guarantee that It was a majority Lakers crowd, with the Real Laker fans who actually watch and cheer for they're team.

Anyway, you're probably making the "smarter" decision by buying Clipper Tickets, but the Lakers are more enjoyable to watch seeing as, well... they're the Lakers and the Clips are the Clips. :P (However, the Clippers can be fun to watch when they're playing good basketball and not making costly mistakes.)

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Last time I was in LA (10 years ago now) I wanted to see a game, but the only home date around that time was Clippers-Hawks. Managed to get some dirt-cheap tickets in section 112 and watched 2 of the worst teams that season go at it in a half-full arena. And you know what? It was so much more fun than any of the NBA Europe games I've been to.

I'd definately recommend it, especially as the Clippers actually have some players this year.

I also saw a Clipper/Laker game with the Clips being the home team. I sat in the lower section for $119 per ticket. Not bad at all. (It was the Laker game where Andrew Bynum scored 42, and I can personally guarantee that It was a majority Lakers crowd, with the Real Laker fans who actually watch and cheer for they're team.

Thanks for confirming what I've always suspected. :P Everytime I've watched a Clippers/Lakers game on TV, the Lakers fans have been loud, boisterous, and really looked to be into the game. This is in sharp contrast to their normal home games nowadays where the place never gets jumping unless it's Game 7 of the NBA Finals. I mean, yeah, the Lakers dimming the lights in the arena is pretty cool, but at times it seems like the crowd is either catching a nap or trying to catch a glimpse of the entertainment stars that are at the game, or just there because it's the cool place to be. Definitely not the case once they get the "real fans" into Staples for a Clippers home game.

Also, I really hope that the Lakers AND Clippers can be good at the same time. That would be an awesome rivalry for the NBA, the Clippers just need to start holding up their end of the deal. It's really a damn shame that the Lakers' arch rivals are all the way across the country in Boston, when their arch rivals should be the team that they share an arena with.

To stay on topic, though...even though I know nothing about Staples Center when it comes to ticket prices, I'd assume that you couldn't go wrong with a Clippers game. I mean, the Clippers aren't the best team, but they do have some decent players and won't be terrible. Good choice.

Archived