New Big Ten Logo Help?

MiK

Hello CCSLC world,

I'm an avid reader but seldom poster of concepts because my art abilities stopped after our kindergarten class put away the fingerpaint. However, due to the tragic events in the Big Ten that unfolded earlier this week, I couldn't hold back my angry, art-less abilites to try and come up with something (anything, really) different than what they have done.

Now sometimes I look at the B1G logo and kind of like it. I admire the simplicity of the logo and by itself and I think I could fully learn to accept it. However, the other logos just kill me. Why would the addition of a great school like Nebraska behoove the Big Ten logo/slogan czar to accept such subpar ideas. Anyway to make a long story short, I tried (and probably failed) to make something better on a white board in my living room. I had an audience critique and give imput to the logo and everyone agrees that it would look much better when professionally composed.

IMG_2831.jpg

The alignment of the logo isn't the greatest and the placement of the 1 for the 12 is up to interpretation. When I first drew it, the "b" in big was diagonal to the "e" in ten, thus giving an eye-pleasing placement of the 12. But then the "g" in big was just kind of hanging out awkwardly, so I tried my best to fit it in; even using the goofy yet totally recognizable g.

So there you have it. What I'm looking for is someone who is bored, or with extra time on their hands to try and tackle this design, and conceptualize a decent-looking, acceptable version of this.

Anyone willing to help save the Big Ten?

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

I like the idea here...

What if you lined up the words vertically, and made the "i" appear as a "1". That way the "i" and "e" (1 and 2) would be next to each other. The only problem I could see with this is a logo that is vertically dominant; you could probably fix it by placing something behind the letters, and/or making the letters bolder.

b t

i e

g n

or

b t

1 2

g n

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

yeah. i think i prefer the horizontal approach. what i should have done is make the "i" in big and make that the 1. then the first and last letters in each word would be black. and the "i" and "e" in ten would have blue and black. maybe i'll change it up on the whiteboard and take another picture.

but what i'm really looking for is someone to take this and create a computerized version. because i'm horrible at photoshop, paint, etc

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

• 1 month later...

ehem...bump.

After sort of forgetting about this, I finally tried to make it look better, and with my extremely limited skills and general lack of time to make it look nice, I quickly reworked this with hopes someone will feel inspired to make their own mockup because I really think it could be a great logo if done, you know, well.

Well, sorry to burn your retinas once again but here you go:

b1gten.png

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

I like the idea, but I think having the g/e/2 in one shared character might cause more trouble. I suggest that you leave "big" as letters, but put the 12 in the "ten". The 1 in the t and the 2 in the e like you have.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Sorry guys - I think your artistry is decent, but I can't get behind the idea of a "hidden" 12 in the new BigTen logo. From a marketing standpoint, they've made it clear that the "Ten" in BigTen is a brand, not a number. While the negative space 11 of the old logo was nifty, I think at this point people are trying too hard to shoehorn in an outdated concept.

That being said, I still think that the new branding and marks for the BigTen are sloppy at best; ridiculous at worse. If/When the super conference explosion happens, the BigTen doesn't want to be on the outside looking in- they want to lead the charge. And having a negative space logo just means endless redesign, which, in the long run will ultimately hurt your brand.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Sorry guys - I think your artistry is decent, but I can't get behind the idea of a "hidden" 12 in the new BigTen logo. From a marketing standpoint, they've made it clear that the "Ten" in BigTen is a brand, not a number. While the negative space 11 of the old logo was nifty, I think at this point people are trying too hard to shoehorn in an outdated concept.

That being said, I still think that the new branding and marks for the BigTen are sloppy at best; ridiculous at worse. If/When the super conference explosion happens, the BigTen doesn't want to be on the outside looking in- they want to lead the charge. And having a negative space logo just means endless redesign, which, in the long run will ultimately hurt your brand.

Have to agree with ya here PK.

Although I like your idea, I think you could make it better by just reworking what you have just like it is, but without the "12".

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

yeah i understand all your viewpoints but the hidden 11 in the big ten logo is what made that logo great. And considering the new logo, something better has to be out there and this was merely my attempt.

If I had it my way, the logo would say something like, "The Big Ten, Penn State and Nebraska."

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

If that means NU and Penn State are in their own separate division, I'll take it! I'd rather have a 50% chance of playing for a conference title than a 1 in 6 shot.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

With block lettering the 2 would be easy to fit as an e. If someone was really trying to force the 12...

1z3p1yg.jpg

Not sure if that's been done. I assume it has... but it's an option.

No . over the 1 and you got a winner.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived