NFL Referee Uniforms

njmeadowlanders

So I was wondering this during game action today, especially the Tampa game, but I've been thinking about this for a while:

We all know that when the referees are in short sleeves they wear white pants, and their cold weather sets, long sleeves included, include black pants.

But why do all the referees all wear short sleeves or all wear long sleeves? Today in Tampa I noticed they all had long sleeves on, but it's not like it was that cold where a couple of them maybe would have preferred short sleeves, you know, running around all day and whatnot.

Why don't you ever see short sleeves/long sleeves with the other pants-color set? Who decides on it? Group vote? If one will be cold and wants long sleeves, does that overrule everyone else? How does this work?

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

So I was wondering this during game action today, especially the Tampa game, but I've been thinking about this for a while:

We all know that when the referees are in short sleeves they wear white pants, and their cold weather sets, long sleeves included, include black pants.

But why do all the referees all wear short sleeves or all wear long sleeves? Today in Tampa I noticed they all had long sleeves on, but it's not like it was that cold where a couple of them maybe would have preferred short sleeves, you know, running around all day and whatnot.

Why don't you ever see short sleeves/long sleeves with the other pants-color set? Who decides on it? Group vote? If one will be cold and wants long sleeves, does that overrule everyone else? How does this work?

I believe the Black Pants/Long Sleeves are thermal on the inside. The Short Sleeve/ White are more mesh like and Performance like.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

I believe the Black Pants/Long Sleeves are thermal on the inside. The Short Sleeve/ White are more mesh like and Performance like.

Right but why can't a referee wear short sleeves with the black pants if he wanted to? And if one ref said "its too cold I want long sleeves" and the others said "nah we're fine in short sleeves" who prevails?

Right but why can't a referee wear short sleeves with the black pants if he wanted to? And if one ref said "its too cold I want long sleeves" and the others said "nah we're fine in short sleeves" who prevails?

They are employees of the league and the league dictates what they wear and when. Regardless of temperature, they are told what to bring/wear on gameday. Weather in Tampa was in the 40-50's all week with deep freezes overnight, so the NFL told the crew to bring the cold weather gear. They just follow directions.

They are employees of the league and the league dictates what they wear and when. Regardless of temperature, they are told what to bring/wear on gameday. Weather in Tampa was in the 40-50's all week with deep freezes overnight, so the NFL told the crew to bring the cold weather gear. They just follow directions.

OK but then in that case why can't one of them say they'd rather be in short sleeves? If they have the black pants on would that really preclude them from doing so? I just find it interesting is all.

OK but then in that case why can't one of them say they'd rather be in short sleeves? If they have the black pants on would that really preclude them from doing so? I just find it interesting is all.

It's all about the crew being uniform. The league doesn't want a group of officials wearing different looks. It looks sloppy.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I referee in the High School ranks in Arizona. We just adopted the black pants uniform as well this season (for playoffs only as it can get cold at night durring late Nov to Dec). I agree as all officals must be uniform. To have one official in a diffrent shirt or pants is very sloppy. IMHO having short sleves with the black pants looks tacky anyway. Looks way better with the long sleves.

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

Ed Hochuli will always prevail because he needs to wear short sleeves so his massive pipes can breathe.

He wore long sleeves last night in the Patriots-Packers game.

First time I've ever seen him contain those pythons.

Archived