Dallas Stars goalie mask (Tombstone theme)

mmejia

I'll go against the grain here.

This airbrush trend with goalie masks needs to end.

I agree with you whole heartedly. Personally, I think most of them look like crap. Way too much fine detail. People in the first row, let alone on TV can not make out what's going on with the art work. I can appreciate the skill and the art, but you need to get up close to see all the minute detail going on there.

As odd as it sounds, the 90's may have been the golden era of goalie mask art.

4114313717_ee13929eec_o.png

A mask should be "readable" from 20 ft away, imo.

Why? does a mask hold some kind of informational value like a jersey does? Masks should stay unique and hold some sentimental value to the wearer.

As a goalie I prefer for my mask to be understood by people further than 5 ft away and not appear to be just a scramble of colors.

You ask me why, I don't know. It's an opinion. I feel that if I spent the time/money to get it done up people should be able to decipher what it is.

You know what I always liked? Ken Wregget used to have a Pittsburgh Penguins goalie mask with "The Penguin" from Batman on it. I always thought that was pretty creative.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Why? does a mask hold some kind of informational value like a jersey does? Masks should stay unique and hold some sentimental value to the wearer.

As a goalie I prefer for my mask to be understood by people further than 5 ft away and not appear to be just a scramble of colors.

This.

You ask me why, I don't know. It's an opinion. I feel that if I spent the time/money to get it done up people should be able to decipher what it is.

I'll also add that a place that stands to get hit with a speeding hockey puck is maybe not the best place for a work of art.

Who says that a unique mask that has sentimental value has to be an overly complicated airbrushed design? Martin Brodeur's mask (the "Good" Devils example) is simple and to the point, but is instantly recognizable as Brodeur's mask.

I'm with twi here. I'm a goalie. My mask's design is something I want to convey to as many people as possible. If the design can't be appreciated by someone standing on the blue line, let alone someone in the stands, then the design has failed on some level.

Like demondg1 said, these masks do take talent to paint. They're just the wrong kind of style for something like a goalie mask.

You know what I always liked? Ken Wregget used to have a Pittsburgh Penguins goalie mask with "The Penguin" from Batman on it. I always thought that was pretty creative.

You mean this

ken-wregget.jpg

Signature.png

TrophyCase-1.png

I think it's a cool design, but I agree that with goalie masks, simpler can be better.

I hate the Canucks, but Luongo's simple mask from last year I thought was awesome.

bluongo003.jpg

Corey Crawford's 2010/11 mask is sick as well. Simple, yet legible and not overdone.

coreycrawfordblackhawks10-11b.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I was very happy when Luongo went from his cartoony johhny canuck mask to last year's retro.

This year's retro, which was also seen in the past (thus the C on it below) once or twice is a little boring.

roberto-luongo.jpg

His first mask with the Canucks was just plain awful, there's a bear, a whale, a skyline, all kinds of crap going on.

I much prefer the simple, iconic designs than the airbrush art pieces that fail to convey any actual artistic impression when the goalie is on the ice. The air brush pieces are nice as artistic objects, but they totally fail at projecting an image on the ice.

Archived