What does the "G" on Green Bay's helmet stand for?

KCScout76

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why couldn't it just stand for Green Bay I mean Michigan State uses an "S" and Miami University uses a "U" so why can't Green Bay use a "G"?

Wrong. The S stands for sucks.

http://www.homestarrunner.com/trogday08.html

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Greatness wins again - Title #13, four of them in the Super Bowl! Go crazy Pack fans!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Why couldn't it just stand for Green Bay I mean Michigan State uses an "S" and Miami University uses a "U" so why can't Green Bay use a "G"?

Actually, Miami University uses an 'M' on their helmet. It's the University of Miami that uses a 'U' on their helmet.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I believe that the story has always been Greatness. But let's be honest, it stands for Green Bay.

Additionally, if it does stand for Greatness, why should that lessen anyones critique of the uniforms? If you were upset that they only use one initial instead of both, wouldn't you be more upset that the G stands for an abstract concept instead of the team name?

Is there any historical evidence of this? I plan on looking because I've never heard this before, and I grew up in the Green Bay area.

I looked through the 1961 Packer Yearbook tonight, and there was no mention of the logo in any form. Since that was the year it debuted, I thought I'd see if there was any mention of it. I'll keep digging.

It's where I sit.

I believe that the story has always been Greatness. But let's be honest, it stands for Green Bay.

Additionally, if it does stand for Greatness, why should that lessen anyones critique of the uniforms? If you were upset that they only use one initial instead of both, wouldn't you be more upset that the G stands for an abstract concept instead of the team name?

Is there any historical evidence of this? I plan on looking because I've never heard this before, and I grew up in the Green Bay area.

I looked through the 1961 Packer Yearbook tonight, and there was no mention of the logo in any form. Since that was the year it debuted, I thought I'd see if there was any mention of it. I'll keep digging.

When I said "I believe", it was just me saying I accept the premise that they've made that claim for some time. But I personally have never heard that until this thread. So I don't have any knowledge that will help you out there. Curious to what you find, though.

When I said "I believe", it was just me saying I accept the premise that they've made that claim for some time. But I personally have never heard that until this thread. So I don't have any knowledge that will help you out there. Curious to what you find, though.

Sorry - I wasn't trying to point fingers on this one, although I can see how it looks that way. Your post seemed to be a good launch point to dig into the make up of the logo. I figure with the knowledge that we have on this board, if someone had something in their archives, this might help to call it out.

It's where I sit.

Actually, Miami University uses an 'M' on their helmet. It's the University of Miami that uses a 'U' on their helmet.

Opps my bad. lol

• 2 weeks later...

Not so, say the Packers.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/116283759.html

The key point of the article:

(The author) couldn't reach Barber, but some think his bad information came from a tidbit that a Packers fan added to Wikipedia last summer. The site now attributes the claim to Barber, so it's gone fully circular.

When (the author) first heard about this greatness stuff, (he) asked Aaron Popkey, spokesman for the Packers, to set the record straight. (Popkey) conferred with Tom Murphy, archivist at the Packers Hall of Fame.

"The Packers have no knowledge of it being anything other than Green Bay," Popkey said. "Maybe it was Tiki Barber having some fun with it."

It's where I sit.

Archived