What does the "G" on Green Bay's helmet stand for?

KCScout76

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Y)ou couldnt just put a V on the helmet and say "it stands for victory, so we're gonna use it".

But, you can put a V on the helmet and say it stands for the San Joaquin Valley.

/Fresno'd

Also, the G on the Packer helment stands for "Jesus."

I had also heard that the "NY" on the Giants helmets isn't for "New York", but for "Not Yours". Back in the '50s, players would routinely get their helmets confused and have to ask "who's helmet is this?" QB Charlie Conerly was sick of answering, so he wrote "It's Not Yours" on his helmet. Eventually it was shortened to just "NY". After he was accidentally run over and killed by a trolly, the team decided to put "NY" on all the helmets in his honor.

Also, the wings on the Eagles helmets aren't bird wings - they're angel wings.

P.O.Y.

I had also heard that the "NY" on the Giants helmets isn't for "New York", but for "Not Yours". Back in the '50s, players would routinely get their helmets confused and have to ask "who's helmet is this?" QB Charlie Conerly was sick of answering, so he wrote "It's Not Yours" on his helmet. Eventually it was shortened to just "NY". After he was accidentally run over and killed by a trolly, the team decided to put "NY" on all the helmets in his honor.

P.O.Y.

P.O.D. at best.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Awesome.

That seems like someone wanted to attach that as an after thought. Pretty cheesy.

Exactly.

What if it was designed as an E for Excellence instead?

Would the Green Bay Packers still have it?

Probably not.

you dont think thats what the Edmonton "Green Bay Packer" Eskimos had in mind, do ya??? :wacko:

Nawwww...for the Green Bay Packers if the "G" stands for "Greatness", then for the Edmonton Eskimos the "EE" must mean "Extra Excellence" :P

I can haz sig?

Definitely, Post of the Day material. Though he's lucky I swallowed the rest of my drink before I scrolled down to see that, otherwise I'd need a new keyboard.

I'm still having trouble believing it.

Why? It sounds like a plausible explanation for why they only have 'G' and not 'GB.' What if the Niners just had 'S' or the Chiefs 'K' and no reason for it? That would look pretty goofy, wouldn't it?

My only hesitation is, why isn't this a well-known story?

gbhelmet.jpg

I believe that the story has always been Greatness. But let's be honest, it stands for Green Bay.

Additionally, if it does stand for Greatness, why should that lessen anyones critique of the uniforms? If you were upset that they only use one initial instead of both, wouldn't you be more upset that the G stands for an abstract concept instead of the team name?

I believe that the story has always been Greatness. But let's be honest, it stands for Green Bay.

Additionally, if it does stand for Greatness, why should that lessen anyones critique of the uniforms? If you were upset that they only use one initial instead of both, wouldn't you be more upset that the G stands for an abstract concept instead of the team name?

Not necessarily... it has its roots in the 60s back when all sorts of weird, only-tangentally-related things were showing up on football helmets. For example...

(That second link is what Louisville wore for 3 seasons btw... what, you couldn't tell? :P)

If Chuck D can wear Pirates and Phillies caps that simply have a "P" for "Public Enemy", then the Packers can wear a simple "G" for "Green Bay".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Is there any historical evidence of this? I plan on looking because I've never heard this before, and I grew up in the Green Bay area.

It's where I sit.

Why couldn't it just stand for Green Bay I mean Michigan State uses an "S" and Miami University uses a "U" so why can't Green Bay use a "G"?

Wrong. The S stands for sucks.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived