Gannett's new logo

goforbroke

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2011-03-04-gannett-branding_N.htm

The promotions will include Gannett's new logo, replacing the long-used image of the letter "G" superimposed on a globe. The new design consists of the company name without illustration in a Verlag typeface.

"We're in a world that is highly complex, and what we want to do is put out something that is very simple and that people can remember," Dubow says.

The message of simplicity should appeal to advertisers who want to deal with a single company to reach a wide variety of people looking for different kinds of news and information on a dizzying array of digital devices, he says.

Gannett also wants to tell consumers that it can serve their needs. Company research has identified the information that people want, as well as how stories should be presented and updated.

Pretty lame change if you ask me, but par for the course for a company waaaayy behind the times in terms of technology, products, advertising, etc.

old:

Gannett_Logo.jpg

new:

Gannett2011.jpg

Here's some history of the company logo

http://www.gannett.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/BRANDS01/110302001/-1/brands01/

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

That's just text. I fail to see a logo anywhere.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The old one reminds me of Continental Tire a bit.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Seen the new logo last night and this morning, first time I saw it was after the last newscast on one of KPNX Channel 12, the second time was the Arizona Republic on the second page.

Seen the new logo last night and this morning, first time I saw it was after the last newscast on one of KPNX Channel 12, the second time was the Arizona Republic on the second page.

Both are Gannett properties.

Gannett is going all out to make sure everyone knows what newspaper and broadcast channels are their properties... so expect to see "A Gannett Company" all over the place. They are trying to increase brand awareness.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

"We're in a world that is highly complex, and what we want to do is put out something that is very simple and that people can remember," Dubow says.

There is nothing memorable about a "logo" that can be replicated in Microsoft Word. It's lazy f-ing design masked by an overactive marketing team. (I'm looking at you, too, JCPenney and Gap.)

Others may argue that sophisticated software isn't necessary if the designer is fundamentally sound. Ever heard of paste-ups?

The Gannett wordmark is competent, although unremarkable. Since it's decently kerned, I doubt the validity of your claim of it being 'f-ing lazy'. For what it's worth, I'm a fan of JCPenney's brand mark, while I do agree with you about the rescinded Gap logo.

Sigs are for sissies.

Yes, I have heard of paste-ups. I did study graphic design in college. And I'm not saying you need superior software to make a good logo. In fact, I prefer the old hands-on methods of design rather than the computer method.

It's not about fundamentals. Fundamentals don't make you a good designer, just a competent one. Applying kerning doesn't mean you've applied any real thought. I can kern text like this in less than 5 seconds. You can also get decent kerning out of any well-built font. I'm talking about how much thought and process was put into the original Gannett logo compared to this. There was something memorable and unique about the previous version, but there is nothing that makes this logo stand out or that improves on the previous look in any way. They've stripped themselves of any brand integrity they've gained. There's no icon (not that it's always needed), no type flourish, not one element that makes this any better than typing something out in Word.

Both are Gannett properties.

Gannett is going all out to make sure everyone knows what newspaper and broadcast channels are their properties... so expect to see "A Gannett Company" all over the place. They are trying to increase brand awareness.

Yes this I know, so is the USA Today. I was just saying it was weird seeing the new logo instead of the globe logo that I was used to when the Gannett logo would pop up at the end of the newscast at 10pm

• 2 weeks later...

Archived