Mercer Bears Logo Concept

Brave-Bird 08

The eye areas throwing this off a bit here. If you look at a growling bear (I grabbed one off google)...the eyes sit back more on the head and are pretty small. I really think reducing the size of the eyes will go along way in creating a little more depth. I'd also make the eyes slightly less human-like. The muzzle area seems to be a little too short as well. Making the eys smaller will probably help, but you may want to exaggerate the feature as well (for example, look at the muzzle/eye relation on Baylor's logo). I like the shadowing on the "chin" area, but I think it could use a little (key word is little here) more detail in the cheeks and forehead.

species-spotlight-grizzly-bear-brown-mouth-open-black-nose-attacking-growling-biting-photo-468x351.jpg

Great start, by the way. I think you're close to something really good here. Love the presentation, by the way. The wall painting effect is nice.

I agree with Shumway. the only thing that looks off is the eyes. theyre way too glossy, big, and care-bear like. but other than that, this is good. similar to lots of other bear logos out there, but still very solid.

also, there's nothing wrong with the font, but there might be a better more-fitting font style out there to consider.

Here's a few edits on the Bear head, thanks to the feedback! I fiddled with the nose, and changed the eyes. Now that I've made the eyes smaller, I can't even look at version 1.0 without laughing.

Still, though, a work in progress! Gotta get around to designing a custom font, but for now, here's version 2.0

logov2.png

alright. progress being made, me thinks. I changed the eyes ONE more time..and edited the face a little bit. dropped the excessive white detailing in some areas...and tried to close the area around the left eye.

here are some logo variations. ive got a KSU-UGA baseball game to work tonight, but I've got the custom font to go a long with this about 85% complete, so expect to see that around 11 pm...ish...

logo3.png

let me know what you think, so far!

the whole chin area looks awkward to me. the random orange chin that isn't connected to any other orange part is just weird. he looks like a nutcracker, or one of those Chippendale e-cards. his face also seems too round and fluffy, like an idealized cuddly bear. rough him up a bit i'd say.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I dont think the orange chin has to necessarily connect with the other orange parts of the face, but at least have a smart part on each side of the chin jot upward just a little to get rid of the chinstrap look. Although you could try connecting those pieces to just to see what if looks like. Or maybe add a jag of hair or two on the outside of the chin to make it less chinstrap-like and less smooth.

It's getting close and it looks very nice. I like the location of the new wordmarks better, but again, Im not a huge fan of the font, but you said youre considering block, which I agree would look better.

Complete Logo Set -- Version 1.0

-Okay, after a long day of work, I've got a completed logo set. I'm thinking about possibly adding a tertiary logo...maybe a full bear. We will see. Anyways, for now, we have this. The primary and secondary logos are essentially modernized versions of this and this. Tell me what you think! I'll proabably throw together some conceptual uniforms or merchandise once people feel it's solid enough.

sheetlogos.png

sheetprimary.png

sheetsecondary.png

Chin looks much better. I dont think there is a need for that many outlines. Right now you have 3 I think 2 would work, you could leave it with the white outline and I think it would look fine. I also think the outside of his head looks too cuddly. I would rough him up a bit, to add some character and scrappyness. Looks good.

Picture21.png

Ok I know I'm late to the party on this one, but I have to say I feel kinda luke warm about this one. Having checked the original versions while grim and utterly destroyed by years and years of poor reproduction at least that bear had a bit of aggression about it. This one feels kinda "squishy" for want of a better word. It's a childish term I know but I cant think of another one that better fits how I feel. The whole thing just feels overly round, which is only accentuated by the extra keylines. The shadow over the forehead makes no sense from a physical standpoint and I just dont get the eyebrows at all.

Dont get me wrong it's been well rendered, no flat spots or anything like that all keylines run parallel etc so cant fault you there, but just not sure of the reasoning for some your decisions, and as a result I feel it's fallen a bit flat.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

reminds me a bit of a bear i did back in 2006 that progressed quite nicely thanks to help from this board...i think your bear could use a few of the tweaks suggested by 9ersteve

wow! the progression in that thread is unbelievable! you did a great job. I'll definitely be heading down the same path with this.

thanks for all of the input so far!

Archived