Stanley Cup Playoff Preview

NJTank

Than != Then.

Also, learn how to use a semicolon.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'd like to hope you are wrong about the Caps. How often does the same 1st place team in the conference, get upset by the 8th seed, two years in a row? (That's not really a rhetorical question, and I would figured you would know the answer to it. Forgive me if this has happened more than I think it has, especially if its in the NHL, because I don't follow it very closely.) I think the Rangers will put up a great fight, but I'm predicting Caps in 6 for that series.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I'd like to hope you are wrong about the Caps. How often does the same 1st place team in the conference, get upset by the 8th seed, two years in a row? (That's not really a rhetorical question, and I would figured you would know the answer to it. Forgive me if this has happened more than I think it has, especially if its in the NHL, because I don't follow it very closely.) I think the Rangers will put up a great fight, but I'm predicting Caps in 6 for that series.

I would agree with you put those two 7-0 and 6-0 games scare me.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I would agree with you put those two 7-0 and 6-0 games scare me.

Caps are a different team. Caps dominated the Penguins in the regular season the year we lost to them in the playoffs. Regular season results do not matter much.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

There's your answer fishbulb:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=527347

Wow, that's way higher than I expected. I'm pretty sure it's a lot lower in the NBA. I wonder why that is.

More parity?

8 seeds virtually in the playoffs for the last few weeks of the season and came in on a roll?

There is no NBA equivalent of a hot goalie?

Home court means more than home ice?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

There's your answer fishbulb:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=527347

Wow, that's way higher than I expected. I'm pretty sure it's a lot lower in the NBA. I wonder why that is.

More parity?

8 seeds virtually in the playoffs for the last few weeks of the season and came in on a roll?

There is no NBA equivalent of a hot goalie?

Home court means more than home ice?

Not to mention 8 seeds in the NBA are regularly under .500.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Yeah, the NBA's talent is so top-loaded that by the time you get to the 15 and 16th best teams you have some pretty crappy basketball teams that get included in the tournament just because. Every once in awhile one will fall into a matchup with a 1 seed where the pairing actually benefits them (Golden State-Dallas for example). The NHL is more spread out so the 15 and 16th best teams are still pretty capable hockey teams. I would not call the Chicago Blackhawks a bad hockey team, but the Indiana Pacers are a bad basketball team. Just one more reason hockey is better than basketball.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yeah, the NBA's talent is so top-loaded that by the time you get to the 15 and 16th best teams you have some pretty crappy basketball teams that get included in the tournament just because. Every once in awhile one will fall into a matchup with a 1 seed where the pairing actually benefits them (Golden State-Dallas for example). The NHL is more spread out so the 15 and 16th best teams are still pretty capable hockey teams. I would not call the Chicago Blackhawks a bad hockey team, but the Indiana Pacers are a bad basketball team. Just one more reason hockey is better than basketball.

Everyone keeps talking about the Pacers, but what about the Western Conference? The Hornets are the 8th seed and they are 46-35.

Also, I think there is such a thing as things being too evenly spread. If there are too many upsets, not only does it lead to less excitement about upsets in general, but it leads to crappier teams advancing. That's kind of why the NCAA basketball tournament sucked this year. It was too easy for the underdogs to get ahead. Upsets in the NBA are so much more magical (like the Golden State one in 2007) because they are rarer and therefore more memorable.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

is this the year that San Jose learns the way to San Jose?

What the hell does this mean? Sharks players haven't learned their way through the Bay Area yet?

I fixed it. I meant to stay Stanley learns the way to San Jose.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Also, I think there is such a thing as things being too evenly spread. If there are too many upsets, not only does it lead to less excitement about upsets in general, but it leads to crappier teams advancing. That's kind of why the NCAA basketball tournament sucked this year. It was too easy for the underdogs to get ahead. Upsets in the NBA are so much more magical (like the Golden State one in 2007) because they are rarer and therefore more memorable.

Exactly. It was cool when the Sharks played the Blackhawks in the conference final last year, because they were far and away the best two teams in the superior conference, and every game was hockey played at its absolute highest level by both teams. On the Eastern side, it eventually became pretty clear how outmatched the Canadiens were. The other good thing about the NBA over the NHL is that the NBA regular season can tell you who's good and who's bad. Does anyone really think the breakdown of the seeds in this year's draw accurately reflect how good the teams are?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Exactly. It was cool when the Sharks played the Blackhawks in the conference final last year, because they were far and away the best two teams in the superior conference, and every game was hockey played at its absolute highest level by both teams. On the Eastern side, it eventually became pretty clear how outmatched the Canadiens were. The other good thing about the NBA over the NHL is that the NBA regular season can tell you who's good and who's bad. Does anyone really think the breakdown of the seeds in this year's draw accurately reflect how good the teams are?

That is the result of the NHL giving points for OT losses in the past decade. The result is that points for the lower seeds have been inflated over time, while the point total for the #1 seed has remained constant (sans for that 131 that DET put up in 1995-95).

Here is a Western Conference breakdown in the era before the OTL point through the 2009-10 season.

I know all that. The Blackhawks "backed in" with 97; they actually have 87. Pythagorean expectation is 94. They're not just a crappy 8 seed.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived