The North American Lacrosse League

Viper

Followers of the National Lacrosse League already know theirs isn't the only box lacrosse league in North America. There are already two Canadian semi-pro leagues that play during the summer months, and the recently announced CLaX organization that intends to play during the fall. But there are no other, similar leagues operating in the United States... until now.

Today the North American Lacrosse League officially launched itself. It has no teams yet but several prospective owners are supposedly interested, and a commissioner plucked from the NBA D-League. Not surprisingly, their list of candidate markets seems to be concentrated mainly in the mid-Atlantic states, none of which are existing NLL markets. Supposedly they are not out to directly compete with the NLL for either fans or players. Their season is set to begin a few weeks after the NLL's, for the very reason of knowing which players are still available after the NLL teams have set their rosters.

No matter how the NALL turns out though, they do deserve props for their logo, which blows away the NLL's slapdash-looking league emblem.

North American Lacrosse League creates local and mainstream buzz

North American Lacrosse League will ?give more American players the chance to play this great sport?

CCSLC signature.png

Some interesting times ahead with Lacrosse in the North of America, looks like some of the better players are thinking smartly and are going to play all year round to make themselves full time sportspeople.

Agree with the logo to, a pity that they didn't already have a couple of areas sewn up to announce though.

Could we see a NFL, AFL amalgamation down the track with the NLL, NALL ?

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

It is safe to say that this new lacrosse league will consist of franchises located in mid-major and major metro areas from New England to the Carolinas. I wouldn't be surprised if Baltimore, MD landed a team.

I don't like it.

I don't like the Clax either.

Why put some form of competition out there (even if it's not direct) for a sport that is struggling to find more than 3 markets in which they are secure?

2 things: #1 correct me if i'm wrong but Clax is not a summer league, right?

#2: the only good that can come from this is establishing a solid fan base in another city that the NLL is not in, and absorb that team when these other leagues do eventually fail.

I love lacrosse, and I want to see the NLL and pro lacrosse blossom, but this is not a sport that has the popularity of football, you can't just sprout a new league and expect it will take off just cause there's tons of free agents floating around. It's not like that.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I think Lacrosse will become a more national sport and this area of the country needs lacrosse. What would be better though is just expand the NLL and not even have this new league. There will be alot more talent coming up soon.

I got a stupid question- Do outdoor lacrosse players know how to play indoor and do alot play indoor in the offseason.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

I don't like it.

Why put some form of competition out there (even if it's not direct) for a sport that is struggling to find more than 3 markets in which they are secure?

#2: the only good that can come from this is establishing a solid fan base in another city that the NLL is not in, and absorb that team when these other leagues do eventually fail.

I love lacrosse, and I want to see the NLL and pro lacrosse blossom, but this is not a sport that has the popularity of football, you can't just sprout a new league and expect it will take off just cause there's tons of free agents floating around. It's not like that.

Clax? College Lacrosse?

I enjoy what you lot call box lacrosse indoor lacrosse, we get it over here more and more people in OZ are turning away from Field lacrosse due to the numbers on a each team, some variations over here are:

Victorian Independant League

5 and a goalie to a team, goalie can not touch the ball with hands when the ball is in play,and only one defender besides the goalie.

Rules similar to the NLL only 45 second shot clock and has to be passed between the zones can not be passed straight from the Defence to Offence zone has to be touched in the Centre zone on the way through.

This league employs an off side rule, but not in the offence third.

There are leagues in most states for Field Lacrosse but Indoor Lacrosse is gaining popularity fast as it is a cheap sport, a ball a stick with a net some good shoes, Game On.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

I think Lacrosse will become a more national sport and this area of the country needs lacrosse. What would be better though is just expand the NLL and not even have this new league. There will be alot more talent coming up soon.

I got a stupid question- Do outdoor lacrosse players know how to play indoor and do alot play indoor in the offseason.

Yes, they do.

Have a look at the MLL's rosters and you'll see many stars you recognize from the NLL.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I don't like it.

Clax? College Lacrosse?

I enjoy what you lot call box lacrosse indoor lacrosse, we get it over here more and more people in OZ are turning away from Field lacrosse due to the numbers on a each team, some variations over here are:

5 and a goalie to a team, goalie can not touch the ball with hands when the ball is in play,and only one defender besides the goalie.

Rules similar to the NLL only 45 second shot clock and has to be passed between the zones can not be passed straight from the Defence to Offence zone has to be touched in the Centre zone on the way through.

There are leagues in most states for Field Lacrosse but Indoor Lacrosse is gaining popularity fast as it is a cheap sport, a ball a stick with a net some good shoes, Game On.

Clax is yet another new league opening up.

It's supposed to be an all Canadian league, and unless it becomes a replacement for what we call "summer league" and somehow gets the Mann Cup as it's trophy I believe it's an exercise in futility. In the summer the WLA (Western Lacrosse Association) and the MSL (Major Series Lacrosse) league champions play each other for the Mann Cup, which is the trophy for the best of the summer leagues and has been since 1910. The teams in these 2 leagues are comprised of up and coming talent as well as NLL talent.

I believe this Clax league is trying to replace these 2 leagues and I don't like it at all. The Mann Cup has history and the WLA and MSL both have teams with long standing roots in their local communities.

I don't like it.

Clax? College Lacrosse?

Clax is yet another new league opening up.

It's supposed to be an all Canadian league, and unless it becomes a replacement for what we call "summer league" and somehow gets the Mann Cup as it's trophy I believe it's an exercise in futility. In the summer the WLA (Western Lacrosse Association) and the MSL (Major Series Lacrosse) league champions play each other for the Mann Cup, which is the trophy for the best of the summer leagues and has been since 1910. The teams in these 2 leagues are comprised of up and coming talent as well as NLL talent.

I believe this Clax league is trying to replace these 2 leagues and I don't like it at all. The Mann Cup has history and the WLA and MSL both have teams with long standing roots in their local communities.

Sounds like they would have an uphill battle at the best of it tho, have they decided where the teams will be or is it the same as the new NALL just make it up as they go along sort of deal?

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

if you head to the website they say they are looking for franchise owners and they even give a list of cities that they want to go to.

Peterborough Lakers players are featured on the front page too, so I assume they REALLY want that market. They list my city of Brampton on that list too, but they better stay away.

if you head to the website they say they are looking for franchise owners and they even give a list of cities that they want to go to.

Peterborough Lakers players are featured on the front page too, so I assume they REALLY want that market. They list my city of Brampton on that list too, but they better stay away.

You want me to purchase one? :hockeysmiley:

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

This does seem like a good attempt at growing the game, but the hurdle they're going to face is that the Mid-Atlantic (and for that matter CNY) is lukewarm to box lacrosse compared to field lacrosse. I know that the NLL's made two attempts here on Long Island but both times they ended up moving someplace else.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

This does seem like a good attempt at growing the game, but the hurdle they're going to face is that the Mid-Atlantic (and for that matter CNY) is lukewarm to box lacrosse compared to field lacrosse. I know that the NLL's made two attempts here on Long Island but both times they ended up moving someplace else.

Very true.

It just bugs me so much. I know sometimes competition drives excellence, but I really don't think that applies to box (or for that matter field) lacrosse. These are still new professional leagues that are trying to get strong ownership and fan bases.

Unlike the WHA or the AFL back in the day, when an already established and financially set league was already in place, and the W or the A drove competition, these new leagues just looks like they are going to attempt to water down the talent pool and maybe steal ticket sales from established clubs.

I don't like it one bit.

This is off topic but who ya got for the NLL championship. I want the Stealth.

The rock. No question.

Whipper Watson going out with a championship will be awesome.

... have they decided where the teams will be or is it the same as the new NALL just make it up as they go along sort of deal?

According to the SportsBusiness Journal, seven initial NALL franchise owners have been lined up. Further, said team owners have selected the markets in which they'll operate, and six of the seven teams have targeted home arenas.

Charlotte, NC

Owner: Graham D'Alvia - President, US Indoor Lacrosse

Arena: Bojangles' Coliseum

Hershey, PA

Owner: Ted Glynn - Owner, Glynn International

Arena: Giant Center

Lexington, KY

Owner: Anthony Chase - Principal, Consolo Services

Arena: TBD

New York Metro Area

Owner: Michael Xirinachs - Owner, Emerald Asset Advisors

Arena: Barclays Center (Brooklyn, NY) or Prudential Center (Newark, NJ)

Orlando, FL

Owner: Phil Rawlins - President, Orlando City Soccer Club

Arena: Amway Center

Richmond, VA

Owner: Steve Burton - CEO, SportsQuest

Arena: New facility to be built on SportsQuest campus in Chesterfield County, VA

Wilkes-Barre, PA

Owner: Jim Jennings - President, Waterbucket Media

Arena: Mohegan Sun Arena

How much of this will actually come to pass is anyone's guess.

... have they decided where the teams will be or is it the same as the new NALL just make it up as they go along sort of deal?

According to the SportsBusiness Journal, seven initial NALL franchise owners have been lined up. Further, said team owners have selected the markets in which they'll operate, and six of the seven teams have targeted home arenas.

Charlotte, NC

Hershey, PA

Lexington, KY

New York Metro Area

Orlando, FL

Richmond, VA

Arena: New facility to be built on SportsQuest campus in Chesterfield County, VA

Wilkes-Barre, PA

Wow :shocked: Orlando, and Kentucky?

Aren't these big Basketball and Football areas?

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Charlotte, NC

Hershey, PA

Lexington, KY

New York Metro Area

Orlando, FL

Richmond, VA

Wilkes-Barre, PA

Richmond's involved???? Call me interested.

baltimoreravens.png

Archived