IPFW Logo Update V2

vazquez

Howdy, I have not posted in awhile being busy with school and all, but I have begun work on a concept for my school university Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne(IPFW) just for something to take up some time, I Obviously know this needs work, But I would appreciate some C&C on it, so I can make it a solid piece, worthy of being shown to the world. Thanks!

Untitled-1.png

Some side notes I've learned while attending, the triangle is very important to use because it represents 2 schools forming one, while it also is the main shape used in the university logo. The mastodon is the discovery of bones found in the first years.

Very nice start. I would thicken the strokes to a weight similar to the shadows in the ears. Add some shadows by the eyes to make him look more menacing. The tusks look a little off. They don't look like they facing forward. They look like they're facing sideways. I don't know how to fix that. You'll just have to try some different looks.

Looking forward to an update as this has the potential to be an iconic mark.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Good start, you obviously have some good illustration skills.

First off, I'd take away the "presentation" (shadows, scratches, filters, etc) and just show the logo for now. It's hard to critique something you can't see all of.

I like the idea of the triangle, but not sold on its execution. It, along with the diagonal IPFW, throws the balance of the logo off. You have a rather symmetric mastodon with a completely asymmetrical triangle. I'd make the triangle an equilateral with the point at either the top or the bottom, and do something else with the text.

Looking forward to an update!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Hey,I'm actually having some major trouble on the 2nd with shadows, I still obviously am learning, but the eyes and shadows are killing me. Any assistance would be great, even in paint going over what I just pasted. Thanks, and also looking to get some comments about the mastodon before I continue with the Triangle and word IPFW.

v2.png

The update looks really good. Good job on thickening the strokes. For the eyes, I would just add a black stroke around them and put a pupil in. They don't need to be too complicated.

On a side note, I have a bunch of friends that were at IPFW last year, and it's cool to see a concept for them on here!

The update looks really good. Good job on thickening the strokes. For the eyes, I would just add a black stroke around them and put a pupil in. They don't need to be too complicated.

On a side note, I have a bunch of friends that were at IPFW last year, and it's cool to see a concept for them on here!

Thanks for that on the eyes, Ill see how that works, and to that sidenote yeah IPFW was not my first choice, but they were the financial choice. And I am really growing onto the school. I am falling in "love" with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Still stuck, I cant find the appropriate shadows. I have spent hours trying, and am completely stuck, I've updated the trunk, making it more symmetrical. v3.png

You have a good foundation here to build on. I'd say make the white you have for the eyes the black you're using for the shading and then draw a smaller white eye within that. Also I think you can make the skin leading into the tusks the same gray as the rest of the skin. You've probably seen them but here are a few examples of elephant facial shading. Also look at the current IPFW logo and its shading for some ideas.

• 1 month later...

It's not just you; it's the shading. You've got to get rid of the shadowing near the top because it creates the illusion that it's behind the entire figure. Also, try thickening those outlines, and instead of using the gray shading, add more black to get rid of that "flat" look.

Hope this helps, nice sketch by the way.

It's not just you; it's the shading. You've got to get rid of the shadowing near the top because it creates the illusion that it's behind the entire figure. Also, try thickening those outlines, and instead of using the gray shading, add more black to get rid of that "flat" look.

Hope this helps, nice sketch by the way.

Yeah, the shading on this is difficult, a little torn on the black because of the ears. The inside detail in the ears is something I feel I can not lose, I'll be back with updates in the coming days.

Archived