Philadelphia Eagles Refresh

TheOneAndOnlyMau

As an Eagles fan, i dont think the eagles have a very strong identity aside from the winged helmets. I decided to take some inspiration from the uniform set of the 80s, one of my personal favorite uniforms of all time. I attempted to mix some elements from their current set in to the design (colors, helmet logo, font, etc.) attempting to mix elements of the two best teams in franchise history into one new, recognizable identity

uniformset-01.png

Detail:

Picture1.png

Im having some trouble getting the stripes on the jersey and pants to match/cofrespond... id like to keep the pants silver if possible but does anyone have any thought/ suggestions on how this could be better?

C&C welcome and appreciated.

zPfTNXq_sm_zpsu3fsswbz.jpg 8DRvuUI_sm_zpsthbhbnio.jpg

Maurer_icons-02_zps7dcbd790.png Maurer_icons-01_zpsfee43a9b.png

To me this illustrates just how great green/gray can be. Unfortunately, we'll never see it because it is a given that you must add black to such color schemes.

The only issue I have with the alt is that it reminds me the the 1980s Jets. I think the numbers need a gray outline or maybe gray, rather than white, should be the dominant stripe color.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think these are a great example of what modern cut jerseys can do to a stripe pattern. To make it work, the whole pattern has to get smaller and simpler. In this case, the pattern can't really go any simpler without losing the vibe of the old one, except for that random thin black line snuck in there, that can go. Also, try to make the whole thing smaller and closer together. Also, the pant stripe has literally nothing to do with the shoulder one. I'm from Philly and I get the loooove people have for those 80's jerseys, but for a modern jersey, I just think the pant stripe and shoulder stripe should relate to each other somehow. Also, the cuffs being a totally different color from the shoulder is pretty confusing too. The cuff should either match the bottom most stripe (white on the home, but again, I dont think that bottom stripe should be so far down) or the cuff should just match the jersey color. Cut out all the shoe-horned black, tighten the stripes and give the pants some direction and I think it can work.

Also, something to mull over: teal and silver and black and white are lot of colors to deal with. I think dropping one of those will help a lot.

Thanks for the comments. I feel as though the sleve stripes are as good as they're going to get on a modern cut jersey. If you reference the picture posted by kiltman you can see that its a modern interpretation of the vermeil era set.

I added the thin black stripe to put my own twist on the unusual sleve striping. The intent was to take the triple stripe from generic and mundane to something that could set the eagles apart.

I do agree that the cuffs should match the jersey color. Don't know what I was thinking there...

I'll put some more work into the pants and post an updated set.

Should I keep the silver pants as a nod to the 80s set or mix it up a little?

Updated the set a little bit. I moved the shoulder stripe down a little bit so its more noticeable on the modern template. Cuff colors now match the jersey color, similar to the 80s era original. I messed with the pants a little in order to help the stripes match, i dont know if theyre better or worse than before.

update1.png

Detail:

update1detail.png

thoughts?

The shoulders have way too much going on and it just looks cluttered

By way to much going on you mean...? its a thick single stripe and a (modified) triple stripe just like on the original vermeil era jersey.

some more constructive criticism would be helpful

I have to disagree with you about the lack of identity comment. It took them a bit to get it right, but the way that they rebranded in '96 has become close to a template for teams to follow. Now this is not opinion, because I'm not saying that I necessarily like the move to midnight green nor the new marks, but the way they've used the new eagle head logo on the jerseys, in the stadium, in their marketing, etc., has made it nearly iconic, and really (I think that many designers would agree with this statement) almost the model for the contemporary "aggressive mascot" logo. So many newer logos can have design elements traced back to that mark. Again, not opinion as to whether it's good or not or I like it or not, just that how it was used (and really the whole package, once they finally standardized the wordmark in '03) has been close to perfect.

I think that if you're going to say that they have no identity other than the helmet wings (which really aren't even the same wings anymore), then the last think you want to do is remove the only reproducible mark that can be used to represent the team in marketing campaigns. Unless their logo is going to be the actual helmet, then you need a secondary to be used for promotional and merchandising purposes. Removing that secondary is close to brand suicide.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I have to disagree with you about the lack of identity comment. It took them a bit to get it right, but the way that they rebranded in '96 has become close to a template for teams to follow. Now this is not opinion, because I'm not saying that I necessarily like the move to midnight green nor the new marks, but the way they've used the new eagle head logo on the jerseys, in the stadium, in their marketing, etc., has made it nearly iconic, and really (I think that many designers would agree with this statement) almost the model for the contemporary "aggressive mascot" logo. So many newer logos can have design elements traced back to that mark. Again, not opinion as to whether it's good or not or I like it or not, just that how it was used (and really the whole package, once they finally standardized the wordmark in '03) has been close to perfect.

I think that if you're going to say that they have no identity other than the helmet wings (which really aren't even the same wings anymore), then the last think you want to do is remove the only reproducible mark that can be used to represent the team in marketing campaigns. Unless their logo is going to be the actual helmet, then you need a secondary to be used for promotional and merchandising purposes. Removing that secondary is close to brand suicide.

You make alot of good points here. I personally love the primary eagles head logo and think its a great mark. I guess when i was saying the wing is the only real recognizable brand i was thinking along the lines of casual fans/ non eagle fans seeing the winged helmet as the heart and soul of the eagles brand. its difficult to create the look i am going for here while also fitting that primary mark into the jersey design. I think a unique jersey can be marketed just as well as one featuring an easily distributable primary mark, however (think Raiders, Bears, Packers).

It may be effective to remove the "E" mark from the pants and replace it with the primary, or even possibly add the primary above the nameplate similar to arizona

Archived