2011 NBA Offesason Thread

BigMac12

I caught a glimpse of the ESPN bottom line and it said the players will accept the 50-50 split

But the owners may not and its not like the players where majority rules. You need an overwhelming majority to get the owners to agree, and 30 teams means 30 different wants. Much tougher to get them on the same page then the players.

If 8 owners don't like the deal, its not getting done. The only reason I could see the hard ball owners giving in is if they're convinced they would have no chance in court if they tried to get more then a 50/50 deal.

There are only 29 since the league owns the Hornets. Plus the owners only need a simple majority to ratify any agreement.

I knew the Hornets situation which I was I said needs as opposed to owners, but I was not aware that it was just a simple majority. I know thats not the case in either MLB or NFL, which I why I assumed it would not be the case in the NBA either.

I've also since looked this up and its 20 votes needed to approve any new CBA, so you would need more then a simple majority.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand it's all about bargaining positions and the like, but here is my question, who is this lock out, as it is playing out, really favoring? How does it favor anyone connected with the NBA to miss half a season? I'm genuinely asking, not being snippy.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I understand it's all about bargaining positions and the like, but here is my question, who is this lock out, as it is playing out, really favoring? How does it favor anyone connected with the NBA to miss half a season? I'm genuinely asking, not being snippy.

No one really wins, it's just a matter of pride. I think it's almost more about pride and "winning" at this point than actual dollars. In fact, I think it may have been about pride more than money before the lockout even began.

It's kind of like this - let's say there's some chore that needs to be done at your house, and neither you nor your wife want to take care of it, and you each think it's the other person's responsibility. So you both just "wait each other out." It would benefit BOTH if you if the chore was completed, but neither one of you wants to do it because that would be "caving in." That's what's going on with this lockout.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

It favors the owners, really. And the longer it goes, it will favor the owners even more. The owners are still making money (some team owners would rather make money by not playing games over losing money if games were played). The owners also can essentially sit on their hands until the players starve themselves into taking a deal they really dislike.

It favors the owners, really. And the longer it goes, it will favor the owners even more. The owners are still making money (some team owners would rather make money by not playing games over losing money if games were played). The owners also can essentially sit on their hands until the players starve themselves into taking a deal they really dislike.

I disagree with that... I don't think owners are happy with the lockout. I think they want the season to begin just as much as everyone else. I mean, they own an NBA team, right? You don't own an NBA team unless you want the NBA to actually, you know, operate.

Are the owners less "desperate" than the players? Probably. But I still don't think they are "favored" by a lockout. It's all just a big power play.

I disagree with that... I don't think owners are happy with the lockout. I think they want the season to begin just as much as everyone else. I mean, they own an NBA team, right? You don't own an NBA team unless you want the NBA to actually, you know, operate.

Are the owners less "desperate" than the players? Probably. But I still don't think they are "favored" by a lockout. It's all just a big power play.

The only owners that aren't happy with a lockout are the ones that are turning big profits already.

The owners that aren't unhappy with the lockout are the ones losing or bleeding money. Not only are they not paying player salaries, they're now at a point where they can 'make' some money from the profiting owners and also find a way to lower what the players are getting.

NBA team owners are still making money from their other business ventures. They can wait and prolong this until the players hand them a bottle of lube and say, "Please be gentle.". Outside of the superstar players that have their endorsement deals, the players don't have much of any income coming in.

The only owners that aren't happy with a lockout are the ones that are turning big profits already.

The owners that aren't unhappy with the lockout are the ones losing or bleeding money. Not only are they not paying player salaries, they're now at a point where they can 'make' some money from the profiting owners and also find a way to lower what the players are getting.

NBA team owners are still making money from their other business ventures. They can wait and prolong this until the players hand them a bottle of lube and say, "Please be gentle.". Outside of the superstar players that have their endorsement deals, the players don't have much of any income coming in.

True, those are some good points. I still think though that most owners of NBA teams are fans at heart, and they do "want" to see the season begin. I don't think most NBA owners are in it STRICTLY for the money... otherwise I imagine they wouldn't want to own an NBA team. I would think if they didn't care about basketball, that they wouldn't want the hassle of owning an NBA franchise. I know I wouldn't want to own a team for a sport that I didn't give a rats ass about.

But yes, from a strictly financial/money/objective point of view, I agree there are several owners who don't "mind" the lockout.

I really don't know what the case is right now with the NBA owners.

We do know they aren't on the same page. If they were games would be being played.

How bad are the poor owners, I don't know. I know they're complaining about losing money, but find an article where an owner ever says he is making money by owning a sports team. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. If they are spending days on end talking about issues not relating to BRI, there's alot more to this then I think is being talked about. The BRI is number one issue without question, but maybe the media is underplaying how important other issues. What those other issues are I have no idea, and I doubt anyone that's not at the negotiating table does, but I'm sure when that stuff starts trickling out years later its going to be alot deeper then we ever thought it was.

I know with the baseball strke in '94, the owners couldn't even talk to each other for a period of about nine months. Anytime they had a meeting they would have to meet in three seperate rooms (one for the big market teams, one for the mid market teams, one of the small market teams) and send messengers between the rooms to go over what was being talked about. Wouldn't shock me if something similar was happening here or had been happening, but again you only find out about this stuff years after the fact and you never get the whole story.

I know they're complaining about losing money, but find an article where an owner ever says he is making money by owning a sports team.

Yeah, that is kind of my point, too. I think that owning a sports team has to be a labor of love. I don't think most NBA owners are in it just for the money. It's kind of like us, the fans - we lose money by supporting teams, too.

I know they're complaining about losing money, but find an article where an owner ever says he is making money by owning a sports team.

Yeah, that is kind of my point, too. I think that owning a sports team has to be a labor of love. I don't think most NBA owners are in it just for the money. It's kind of like us, the fans - we lose money by supporting teams, too.

My point was more seeing the values of these teams increase more then tenfold in the past 20 years, with the owners in all four major sports crying about how they're losing money the whole time. You'll never read when article where an owner talks about how he made a 300% ROI from selling his team, but that same owner could have multiple articles in which he states the finances of the sport are not allowing him to run a profitable business.

I take any owner's complaint about losing money with a grain of salt.

That being said glad to have basketball back.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/11/27/back-to-back-to-backs-and-other-scheduling-quirks/

I don't quite get the rationale behind the way the proposed 66-game schedule is divided, so I simplified the formula.

Division opponents 5 games apiece (20)

Conference opponents 3 games each (30) (50 total)

One game against 14 non-conference, one home-away vs. one non-conference team. (66 total).

It is good to see that the NBA is extending the regular season calendar by a couple weeks. Playing 66 games in four months instead of 3.5 months is better for the overall product of the game. 16-17 games per month is more reasonable than the 20-per-month had the season ended at its normal time.

We saw some really sloppy play in the NFL the first few weeks of the season. Are we going to see a similar thing in the NBA?

Archived