2011 NBA Offesason Thread

BigMac12

The Clippers have fans? The Clippers have stars?

You don't consider Blake Griffin to be a star?

And this could have been Eric Gordon's breakout season, too.

*le sigh*

Fire Stern.

Where's the clip of the old Looney Tunes cartoon "Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century" where Daffy Duck and Marvin the Martian both end up blowing up Planet X? That gives you a pretty good idea where this thing is heading.

I feel that David Stern won't be the NBA commissioner, nor will Billy Hunter the NBPA executive director for much longer after this is settled--and it will, someday. Too many moronic/ignorant moves on both sides. Stern and Co. for twisting the blade, Hunter and Co. for waiting this long to decertify. What were the sides doing over the summer?

This whole thing has been so many levels of ridiculous in so many ways. Many things seem to parallel the 2004-05 NHL work stoppage: Owners losing money before it, union disputing league's losses, owners disguising their plans for the salary cap, and so forth. Now, you can most likely add "lost season" to that.

I'll also bet that the reaction of the players, looking back in a few years, will be similar to that of the NHL's players as well.

Biggest difference was that the NHL was losing fans before the lockout due to the Trap alienating everybody but Devils fans ( :P ), while the NBA is coming off one of its most successful seasons of all-time and looked to have finally revived itself from the '98-'99 lockout, reaching the form it was in when MJ was winning rings. Biggest question is whether or not the fans will remember the good times, look past this ugly ugly UGLY lockout, and return once this thing ends. I'm guessing that a good chunk won't, which is why this hurts even more.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EDIT: Stern is on SportsCenter right now, and just said that we're looking at "years of litigation," & that we're entering the "nuclear winter of the NBA." I don't know if this is Stern using scare tactics in order to get the NBAPA to backtrack, but if it's legit, then holy :censored: ing :censored:.

What a total mess. "Nuclear winter" of the nba is probably the most accurate description of where this thing is, and is heading.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Hopefully by the time the NBA comes back Seattle will have built an arena.

Stern is a real prick for doing this during this economy. There are a lot of supporting industries that rely on the NBA that might not make it through the year.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I was ready to live and let live if they at least got a season in. Most everyone thinks 82 games is too long.

But if they lose the whole year, it will be a lot harder to come back.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

You know, I was pissed about losing a whole season, but then I read how the draft will most likely be conducted in the event that it is lost. According to Ric Bucher...

bucher_tweet.jpg

The Clippers have the fifth-worst aggregate win-loss record in that time. The Wolves, of course, have the worst... but the Clippers own their pick. That means we have two top-five picks in the best draft in ages. That means we could add Harrison Barnes and Andre Drummond or another top-5 player to a team that already features Blake Griffin, Eric Gordon, and DeAndre Jordan. Holy :censored:. Maybe missing a season isn't so bad after all.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Clippers have fans? The Clippers have stars?

You don't consider Blake Griffin to be a star?

And this could have been Eric Gordon's breakout season, too.

*le sigh*

Fire Stern.

Where's the clip of the old Looney Tunes cartoon "Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century" where Daffy Duck and Marvin the Martian both end up blowing up Planet X? That gives you a pretty good idea where this thing is heading.

baltimoreravens.png

You know, I was pissed about losing a whole season, but then I read how the draft will most likely be conducted in the event that it is lost. According to Ric Bucher...

The Clippers have the fifth-worst aggregate win-loss record in that time. The Wolves, of course, have the worst... but the Clippers own their pick. That means we have two top-five picks in the best draft in ages. That means we could add Harrison Barnes and Andre Drummond or another top-5 player to a team that already features Blake Griffin, Eric Gordon, and DeAndre Jordan. Holy :censored:. Maybe missing a season isn't so bad after all.

Here's the full order

Minnesota 0.227642276

Sacramento 0.268292683

Washington 0.276422764

New Jersey 0.284552846

LA Clippers 0.325203252

Golden State 0.369918699

Toronto 0.386178862

Detroit 0.390243902

New York 0.418699187

Indiana 0.426829268

Philadelphia 0.443089431

Memphis 0.447154472

Charlotte 0.459349593

Milwaukee 0.467479675

Oklahoma City 0.520325203

New Orleans 0.536585366

Houston 0.56097561

Phoenix 0.569105691

Utah 0.569105691

Atlanta 0.585365854

Chicago 0.585365854

Cleveland 0.593495935

Miami 0.601626016

Portland 0.617886179

Denver 0.638211382

Dallas 0.658536585

San Antonio 0.670731707

Boston 0.682926829

Orlando 0.691056911

LA Lakers 0.727642276

If I'm not mistaken the Jazz own New Jersey's first round pick...it'll be interesting to see what happens there...

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Here's the full order

Minnesota 0.227642276

Sacramento 0.268292683

Washington 0.276422764

New Jersey 0.284552846

LA Clippers 0.325203252

Golden State 0.369918699

Toronto 0.386178862

Detroit 0.390243902

New York 0.418699187

Indiana 0.426829268

Philadelphia 0.443089431

Memphis 0.447154472

Charlotte 0.459349593

Milwaukee 0.467479675

Oklahoma City 0.520325203

New Orleans 0.536585366

Houston 0.56097561

Phoenix 0.569105691

Utah 0.569105691

Atlanta 0.585365854

Chicago 0.585365854

Cleveland 0.593495935

Miami 0.601626016

Portland 0.617886179

Denver 0.638211382

Dallas 0.658536585

San Antonio 0.670731707

Boston 0.682926829

Orlando 0.691056911

LA Lakers 0.727642276

If I'm not mistaken the Jazz own New Jersey's first round pick...it'll be interesting to see what happens there...

Golden State would probably wind up benefiting the most from that and Cleveland would get screwed over the most.

Golden State would probably wind up benefiting the most from that and Cleveland would get screwed over the most.

DAMN YOU LEBRON!!!!

/:P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/11/23/wednesday-labor.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- Talks aimed at ending the NBA lockout have resumed, two people with knowledge of the situation said Wednesday, with a quick settlement necessary to start the season by Christmas.

The discussions began quietly Tuesday and are expected to continue through the Thanksgiving holiday, the people told The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because the talks were supposed to remain confidential.

baltimoreravens.png

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/11/23/wednesday-labor.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- Talks aimed at ending the NBA lockout have resumed, two people with knowledge of the situation said Wednesday, with a quick settlement necessary to start the season by Christmas.

The discussions began quietly Tuesday and are expected to continue through the Thanksgiving holiday, the people told The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because the talks were supposed to remain confidential.

Hopefully, both sides have pulled their heads out of their respective asses and they'll get a deal done. Before last season, I hadn't seriously followed the NBA in years. Starting with "the decision" (from a PR perspective, it was probably the best thing to happen to the NBA in a very long time) right through the intrigue of the finals, last year was one of the best NBA seasons I can remember. I'm probably not the only "casual" or "returning" fan who got back onboard with the NBA last season. If they trash this season and don't play, my guess is a lot fans like myself will jump right back off the NBA bandwagon. The fact that they're on the verge of wasting all the incredible momentum from last season is mind boggling to me. The Heat losing in the finals alone is reason enough to bring back a lot of casual fans. As Bill Simmons put it, "we'll get another season of the Miami soap opera."

My point, I suppose, is that Stern and Hunter need to put away their rulers and do what's in the best interest of their league. (I know, I have a firm grasp of the obvious, right?) Right now, the only people who really care that they aren't playing are the hardcore NBA fans. The longer they wait, the more likely it is that fans like me will simply move on. Who knows how many years it will take to win us back; if they win us back at all. So here's hoping they get something done and we have a season by Christmas.

BB52Big.jpg

I'll believe a deal is done when there are players in uniform on hardwood and it isn't some charity game. There's been WAY too many instances of "meetings" where "progress has been made" before they break down with more cancelled games.

Agreed. That's exactly why I'm not getting my hopes up for this (as much as I want to).

I caught a glimpse of the ESPN bottom line and it said the players will accept the 50-50 split

But the owners may not and its not like the players where majority rules. You need an overwhelming majority to get the owners to agree, and 30 teams means 30 different wants. Much tougher to get them on the same page then the players.

If 8 owners don't like the deal, its not getting done. The only reason I could see the hard ball owners giving in is if they're convinced they would have no chance in court if they tried to get more then a 50/50 deal. The key thing is to not take anything personal which I think has already happened, so I doubt a deal will get done without the courts forcing the two sides to agree to a deal.

I caught a glimpse of the ESPN bottom line and it said the players will accept the 50-50 split

But the owners may not and its not like the players where majority rules. You need an overwhelming majority to get the owners to agree, and 30 teams means 30 different wants. Much tougher to get them on the same page then the players.

If 8 owners don't like the deal, its not getting done. The only reason I could see the hard ball owners giving in is if they're convinced they would have no chance in court if they tried to get more then a 50/50 deal.

There are only 29 since the league owns the Hornets. Plus the owners only need a simple majority to ratify any agreement.

Archived