2011 NBA Offesason Thread

BigMac12

A bunch of players (Rose, CP3, Lebron, Melo) backed out of the All-star exhibition tour they had planned, citing "optimism" for a deal to get done. Every time I hear the negotiations continued for 15 hours on a given day, I get a little more excited that something will get done. I just dont know what they could possibly be discussing for 15 hours at a time. It might be a dumb question, but havent both sides already heard EVERY argument already? Someone just cave in already!

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hawks' sale in jeopardy.

Apparently, Pizza Man's money isn't right. If the sale doesn't get approved in time for the season, that means another year of ASG. My reaction:

A bit of good news, though: For the first time in what seems like forever, the NBA & NBAPA are expressing optimism over getting a deal done. Apparently, tomorrow is the key day.

Question: If a deal is reached in the near future, do all the cancelled games just come back on, or are we still looking at a late December-early January start no matter what?

I heard it'll be a later start with a compressed schedule, they'll get as close to 82 as they can. If they can come away with something close to 70, 72, it'd be nice.

Prospective ATLHawks owner only has imaginary money? Sounds like the NBA just got a case of the hockeys! Who'd have guessed the Thrashers would be the one sold to interests with actual capital?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I heard it'll be a later start with a compressed schedule, they'll get as close to 82 as they can. If they can come away with something close to 70, 72, it'd be nice.

Prospective ATLHawks owner only has imaginary money? Sounds like the NBA just got a case of the hockeys! Who'd have guessed the Thrashers would be the one sold to interests with actual capital?

That basically sums up my initial reaction when I saw the headline (other than NOOOOOO): "I thought this type of thing only happened in the NHL." :lol:

So of course, no deal was reached, talks have broken off, and more cancellations will be announced later this evening.

I predicted that we'd lose November games, but that the season will start in the first half of December (though not a mere 50-55 game schedule), and I'm sticking by that (for now). Despite today's negativity, all seemed lost last week, then we had the most labor progress since the lockout began. If the sides keep talking every week like they have been, and doing so in these marathon sessions, something (or someone) has got to give soon.

According to sources, the deal is about 95% done before talks broke off...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/sports/basketball/nba-deal-is-close-but-last-hurdle-is-a-big-one.html?_r=3&src=tp

The new N.B.A. labor deal is practically done. You wouldn?t know it from the headlines, the dour news conferences or the apocalyptic rhetoric spilling from league officials. But the deal, in practical terms, is about 95 percent complete.

The N.B.A. and the players union have agreed on contract lengths and luxury-tax rates, trade rules and cap exceptions, and a host of oddly named provisions offering ?amnesty? and ?stretch payments? and less onerous ?base-year? rules.

All of these pieces ? some favoring the players, most of them favoring the owners ? have fallen into place in recent weeks, even as talks collapsed and restarted and collapsed again. The checklist has been reduced to a few items.

But it is the last 5 percent that is ruining the prospects for labor peace and gradually eroding the N.B.A. season.

baltimoreravens.png

So of course, no deal was reached, talks have broken off, and more cancellations will be announced later this evening.

Wonder if they realize the longer they go on with this crap, the less people care they exist. They're not the NFL...

And yes they're 95% done, but that's the problem. They've been 95% done for a while. They keep negotiating little crap neither side really cares about. It's the big issues they can't make headway on that comprise that last 5%. That's why they're all doom and gloom. Until that 5% is done no one is playing any basketball...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7195620/nba-owners-players-end-talks-deal-table-wednesday

Commissioner David Stern gave NBA players an offer and a deadline: Accept a chance to earn up to 51 percent of basketball-related income by Wednesday or get ready for a deal that's a whole lot worse.

This is getting old.... Really quick.

Well get ready for the long haul. The players will not accept this "final offer." And they sure as hell won't accept the offer that will come on Wednesday since it'll be even worse from their perspective. The whole decertification process is up next along with the month and a half long grace period and inevitable trial processes like injunctions which the players will lose (just as the NFL Player did)...

We're basically about to be where the NFL was last spring which means we're going to lose at least December if not more.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7195620/nba-owners-players-end-talks-deal-table-wednesday

Commissioner David Stern gave NBA players an offer and a deadline: Accept a chance to earn up to 51 percent of basketball-related income by Wednesday or get ready for a deal that's a whole lot worse.

This is getting old.... Really quick.

Well get ready for the long haul. The players will not accept this "final offer." And they sure as hell won't accept the offer that will come on Wednesday since it'll be even worse from their perspective. The whole decertification process is up next along with the month and a half long grace period and inevitable trial processes like injunctions which the players will lose (just as the NFL Player did)...

We're basically about to be where the NFL was last spring which means we're going to lose at least December if not more.

Decertification wouldn't surprise me at this point. It's not what if it gets to that point, It has. I also think that this is the way the lockout is going, both sides don't want to agree and everyone loses.

I still don't think a season will happen.

baltimoreravens.png

Archived