Are the yankees going to wear this gear?

The Fonz

Slightly off-topic, but the way his right hand is front of the ring, but behind the letters looks really weird. It's like his forearm is being flattened by the E. And why put the left arm in front of the banner? It makes it look like he's hooking it back for some reason.

It looks like there are two different versions. The print version has Jeter's left hand over the D in DJ3K, the embroidered version has it lower, between the D and J.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I don't think they sold any merchandise with it on it, but I remember Roger Clemens wearing a patch on his glove with this logo on it during his pursuit for after he achieved 300 wins:

clemens_300_win_patch_sample.jpg

Edit- I can't find any pictures but I guess he wore the patch on the glove after he got the 300th win?

I always hated that 300 Wins patch. They might as well have made a patch of someone patting themselves on the back with the caption, "WE PROVIDED A LOT OF RUN SUPPORT FOR AN AGING ROGER CLEMENS." The funny thing is, I don't think we'll ever see patches celebrating pitcher win/loss milestones again, because most people realize it's a meaningless stat.

The Jeter patch looks okay, but "DJ3K" is beyond lame.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

trust me they sold merch with that Clemens logo on it.

I saw a site not too long ago that was still selling just the patch.

It's this kind of stuff that should be shown as the reason the Yankees don't need to ever wear an alt or anything crazy: they can sell anythign they want with the NY on it and pwople will buy it. They don't need an alt to wear on field to sell more jerseys because their fashion jerseys sell like crazy. They don't need to wear the goofy Jeter hat because they sell tons of the multi-color hats and commemoratives already. The Yankees sell so much merchandise that it would be overkill to wear it on the field.

My only problem is that I think they don't use the script Yankees wordmark enough. It should be used on the dugout jackets, but that's another argument for another time.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

My only problem is that I think they don't use the script Yankees wordmark enough. It should be used on the dugout jackets, but that's another argument for another time.

They do wear it on the dugout jacket. The home jacket, anyway.

450x349-alg_girardi-dugout.jpg

They don't wear it on the lighter "gamer" jackets, so you might not see it a lot at the moment. But come September, you'll see plenty of it in the Bronx.

I always hated that 300 Wins patch. They might as well have made a patch of someone patting themselves on the back with the caption, "WE PROVIDED A LOT OF RUN SUPPORT FOR AN AGING ROGER CLEMENS." The funny thing is, I don't think we'll ever see patches celebrating pitcher win/loss milestones again, because most people realize it's a meaningless stat.

The Jeter patch looks okay, but "DJ3K" is beyond lame.

Wrong. First off, "most people" don't realize it's a meaningless stat, a relatively small number of people believe that. And it isn't a meaningless stat. VORP, WAR, range factor, wOBA - those are meaningless stats. Wins aren't the best stat to judge a pitcher by, but they do tell you something.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't think they sold any merchandise with it on it, but I remember Roger Clemens wearing a patch on his glove with this logo on it during his pursuit for after he achieved 300 wins:

clemens_300_win_patch_sample.jpg

Edit- I can't find any pictures but I guess he wore the patch on the glove after he got the 300th win?

He was wearing that patch on his glove on his first try for win #300 (may have been against the Tigers). But wearing that patch on his glove violated a couple of rules.

a. The pitcher's glove may not, exclusive of piping, be white, gray, nor, in the judgment of an umpire, distracting in any manner.

b. No pitcher shall attach to his glove any foreign material of a color different from the glove.

The glove certainly stood out from his glove (either dark brown or black), and a patch is not the same material as the glove. But the manager of the other team complained that it was distracting, and he was forced to remove the patch from his glove (or wear a glove that didn't have a patch).

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

They do wear it on the dugout jacket. The home jacket, anyway.

450x349-alg_girardi-dugout.jpg

They don't wear it on the lighter "gamer" jackets, so you might not see it a lot at the moment. But come September, you'll see plenty of it in the Bronx.

Forgot they added it to this year's style. It's a good look. That Yankees script is nice and I'm glad they are using it in play in 2011.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I'm pretty sure they've used that wordmark, or slight variations, on dugout jackets going back to the 1990s. It isn't exactly new.

For the most part, they've had the NY logo on their dugout jackets (and then the block NEW YORK). The Yankees script made very sporadic appearances on official team field wear in the 2000's.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The Yankees have worn jackets with that script since at least 1998 Not sure if they were wearing them in 1997 and before that.

The dugout jackets have had the Yankees script on them ever since then. In 2008 the team stopped wearing satin jackets (the satin jackets were a Torre thing, I'd imagine), and also introduced a jacket with the block "New York" for road games.

They do wear windbreaker-type jackets with the interlocking NY on the chest - obviously in the summer months that's seen far more often than the long-sleeved jacket with the script. However, the jacket Girardi is wearing in that picture above (or its satin predecessor) has been a mainstay in the Yanks dugout ever since about the time Torre came to the Yanks (I believe they began wearing jackets with the Yankees script in 1996, but can't say with absolute certainty).

On the whole, that jacket is seen more often than the windbreakers with the interlocking NY on them - through most of April, May, September, and October, lots of players and coaches can be seen wearing them. Of course, some of the pitchers can be seen wearing them thoughout the year too.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

They do wear windbreaker-type jackets with the interlocking NY on the chest - obviously in the summer months that's seen far more often than the long-sleeved jacket with the script. However, the jacket Girardi is wearing in that picture above (or its satin predecessor) has been a mainstay in the Yanks dugout ever since about the time Torre came to the Yanks (I believe they began wearing jackets with the Yankees script in 1996, but can't say with absolute certainty).

They definitely wore them in 1996. Here's Zimmer, Torre and Stottlemyre during Game 1 of the '96 World Series:

zimmer-torre-stottlemyre(2).jpg

Starter jackets - blast from the past.

I don't know offhand if they wore them before 1996. In 2000 or 2001 they wore this 1960s-inspired red outlined version of the script:

04_steinbrenner.jpg

But with that one minor blip, they've worn the classic "Yankees" script on the dugout jackets every year since at least 1996.

Archived