BASEBALL ALL-TIME DRAFT: Discussion Thread (PLEASE LOCK)

Dexter Morgan

So who do we think has the best team so far? My opinion is that bruschimania and Billy B have gotten the most value out of their picks. Everyone seems to be doing well, but those two stand out to me.

I don't mean to brag by any means, but I think regarding where I've had to pick, I've found some good value. I wouldn't call my team the best, but I've pretty much snagged every target I've aimed for (Save Eddie Collins, but Nap Lajoie falling to me made up for it to me). I've especially been happy with my pitchers. As I've mentioned before, I like the workhorse, give-you-everything-he's-got type pitcher, and Mathewson, Sutton, and Roberts without a doubt fit that mold. Mathewson was more crafty, but all in all, all three were rugged gamers who threw every pitch like it was thier last.

Lights Out, actually, has impressed me a great deal with his draft. I feel he's gotten some great value and has excersized great insight on his picks. He has a very solid roster all the way around.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't planning on taking those guys that yessir picked for me so is there any way I can re-pick? Those were the guys on the short list I sent to YessSir a few days ago, but since then my team needs have changed and I have some glaring holes in my lineup that I'd really like to fill. If I'm not mistaken I'd still be on the clock for my first pick. I think BillyB had a similar problem a few days ago that didn't really get changed, but if you guys wouldn't mind I would appreciate being able to get the picks I was hoping for.

I say,"No." You have a responsibility to be here. If you can't make it, then you need to pm someone your picks. I just sent Dex an updated list of picks today, in case I wasn't here.

I wasn't planning on taking those guys that yessir picked for me so is there any way I can re-pick? Those were the guys on the short list I sent to YessSir a few days ago, but since then my team needs have changed and I have some glaring holes in my lineup that I'd really like to fill. If I'm not mistaken I'd still be on the clock for my first pick. I think BillyB had a similar problem a few days ago that didn't really get changed, but if you guys wouldn't mind I would appreciate being able to get the picks I was hoping for.

yes, but obviously no one that is already taken.

Go ahead, I'm sorry about that. We were just trying to keep this moving.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

can you delete the names from the selection thread so no one gets confused

I say,"No." You have a responsibility to be here. If you can't make it, then you need to pm someone your picks. I just sent Dex an updated list of picks today, in case I wasn't here.

Well I was planning on sending someone my picks but no one got back to me when I posted last night. Rather then sending everyone a list of my picks I figured I'd just take my chances and hope I'd be on the clock when I got home from work, which I would've been had yessir not made the picks for me. And no, Dexter, the players I wanted are still on the board. And yessir, I understand and it's no problem. Thanks for making the picks regardless, I appreciate the thought.

Well I was planning on sending someone my picks but no one got back to me when I posted last night. Rather then sending everyone a list of my picks I figured I'd just take my chances and hope I'd be on the clock when I got home from work, which I would've been had yessir not made the picks for me. And no, Dexter, the players I wanted are still on the board.

next time, take the chance. go ahed and make your selections in the selection thread.

can you delete the names from the selection thread so no one gets confused

No problem. And damn Scotty, two great picks!

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

I'm glad Robin Roberts fell to me - I'm really starting to get lucky as my targets are starting to fall in my lap. I know some people will scratch thier head at Roberts' W-L and strikeouts, but the fact of the matter is that 1) with the exception of the "Whiz Kids" of 1950, Roberts pitched for usually bad teams, and 2) Roberts wasn't a strikeout pitcher, anyways. He challenged the batters to put the ball in play. While strikeouts are obviously great, it's outs, in any way, shape, or form, that matter first and foremost. Also, as seen by my selection of Don Sutton earlier, I like the durable "workhorse" pitchers. Robin Roberts was the premier workhorse of his era. From 1950-1955, he posted the following: 138-78 W-L, 24 ShO, 161 Complete Games, 232 Games Started, 1,937 IP, 964 SO, and a 2.93 ERA. That's stepping up with effort, if you ask me. I'm treating this as a real team here - I want to draft pitchers that are going to give thier all on the mound.

I had Robin Roberts as the best pitcher available for rounds. The only reason I didn't take him was because everyone was going after position players and I saw alot of depth available at pitcher.

I'm a little upset that I held off on drafting him, but I felt like I didn't had much of a choice. I would probably not have gotten guys like Ernie Banks, Eddie Mathews, Robin Yount and Al Simmons had I picked him when I wanted to.

As for Dizzy Dean he's like a poor man's Sandy Koufax. Five years and that's it. Had he not played for the best team in baseball though no way he would be in the Hall of Fame and while I don't regard him as the worse HOFer, he is far from being the best and I can name you dozens of pitchers that I feel had far better careers then Dizzy Dean that have zero chance of getting in.

My lineup so far.

#1- Earle Combs, CF (1924-1935, NYY)

#4- Mel Ott, OF (1926-1947, NYG)

#3- Alex Rodriguez, SS (1994- , SEA, TEX, NYY)

#9- Ted Williams, OF (1939-1960, BOS)

#33- Eddie Murray, 1B (1977-1997, BAL, LAD, CLE, NYM, ANA)

#8- Bill Dickey, C (1928-1947, NYY)

2B-

3B-

DH-

I just hope people realize just how deceiving career stats can be sometimes.

The guy I just picked Red Ruffing has a career ERA of 3.80, but he finished top ten in ERA for the AL 10 times.

1932 he has an ERA of 3.02 which is good enough for second in the league. The average team in the AL scored 5.23 runs a game.

It makes sense as to why Red Ruffing would fall this late in the draft, but he's someone I would rank as one of the 25 best pitchers of all time.

I'll agree with you on lifetime stats being deceiving, as I've looked up this player and that player, their stats aren't that impressive, but if you know the player then you over look the stats and know what they can do when the game is on the line. What would be interesting is to somehow put this draft into a league and see who's got the best team over a ten year span. Only then will we know who did right and who did wrong and who's really got the best team. Until then it's just bragging rights, which means diddly squat.

My pick is in. Alan Trammell is now the starting SS for the Crawfords. Don't be too harsh, I was in a hurry and he's one of my all-time favorite players. B)

Oh, and I needed a shortstop.

I'm not going to be harsh, because honestly I was seriously thinking about taking him the pick before you. Good choice! :grin:

My pick is in. Alan Trammell is now the starting SS for the Crawfords. Don't be too harsh, I was in a hurry and he's one of my all-time favorite players. B)

Oh, and I needed a shortstop.

There was a reason I doubled and may even triple down on shortstops.

I feel its going to be by far the position people are the weakest at.

Archived