Dallas Stars Logo Attempt

Armadillo19

Hey guys,

I have never attempted a logo before, but I wanted to try to give it a shot. A few weeks ago I made a post about how to get started, and I have tried to follow the advice that was given to me as best as possible. Obviously, this needs a lot of work, but I tried my best, especially when it comes to creating a clean product. So with that said, what can I do to improve this? If it matters, the logo was made via inkscape.

Anyway, here is what I wanted to do...the Dallas Stars, in my opinion, have one of the most uninspired looks in the NHL. Additionally, I really think their color scheme needs a change, as it pretty much was just taken from the days in Minnesota. Originally, I wanted to go with the Texas flag colors, however blue and red didn't really work all that well, and it seemed a bit forced. After a lot of different combinations, I settled on the 2 different blues. I also did not incorporate black, as I know many of you do not like black in logos. With that said, what can I do to improve this concept? Is it too Dallas Mavericks-esque? Is it too forced with the "star" concept? Does the font need changing/resizing? Does the logo itself need complete reworking?

Any C&C would be appreciated, as I really want to try to improve my designs. Thanks everyone!

StarsLogoFinal.png

Tail makes the D look like a fish.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

This is not a criticism of the concept itself but why does Dallas need to change it's colour scheme? It's one of the more original ones in the league and has a Stanley Cup behind it. There are more than enough teams milking the double blue trend. I like where your going with the logo itself but unless its Gold, Black and Green I would not want to see it used.

i promise you that this logo and color scheme would not go over well with stars fans at allll...

the fan base generally wants to look MORE like the north stars. not nothing-at-all like them. and certainly not anything like the cowboys and mavericks.

call it an inferiority complex if you must.

Points taken, I'll try to return more to a "traditional" color scheme. As for the logo itself, the tail was supposed to be more like a spur on the end of a boot, perhaps it needs to be straightened a bit, rather than the way it is angular right now?

Not really liking this. There's 3 stars in the logo, which, yes, it's the team's name, but there's such thing as overkill. Colors are too St. Louis (though that has already been said), and the D isn't 'bold' enough. It's kind of whimsical at the moment, which doesn't match a hockey team identity IMO.

Just what the NHL and pro sports in general need - another blue team! :P

TBH, this needs a total rethink. Too many ideas that simply don't work and clash together, and a cliched color scheme and font choice to boot. I'd like to be able to suggest tweaks, but honestly, I'd end up basically telling you to go back to the drawing board anyway.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived