Milwaukee Bierbrauer uniform debuted early

a3uge

I hate this stuff anyways, but lets say I'm on board...

I'm just wondering why they went with Bierbrauer as opposed to just Brauer. Brauer means Brewer in German. Bierbrauer means Beer Brewer. They're not the Beer Brewers, they're the Brewers. Are we saying that the obvious notion that they're Brewers of beer gets lost when you translate it so you have to beat people over the head with it?

Just saying.

I'm just wondering why they went with Bierbrauer as opposed to just Brauer. Brauer means Brewer in German. Bierbrauer means Beer Brewer. They're not the Beer Brewers, they're the Brewers. Are we saying that the obvious notion that they're Brewers of beer gets lost when you translate it so you have to beat people over the head with it?

Just saying.

I'm thinking that in German, it may be that "bierbrauer" is always used to refer to someone who brews beer instead of just "brauer."

Just my guess. Could be completely wrong.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Just saying.

I'm thinking that in German, it may be that "bierbrauer" is always used to refer to someone who brews beer instead of just "brauer."

Just my guess. Could be completely wrong.

It's a fair guess, but from my recollection of German and some quick research, that's not the case. But it's a possibility.

I think it's more a problem of "Brauer" not being sufficiently distinct from "Brewer". It would look more like a misprint than a conscious choice.

This is possible and maybe even likely, but I think it's awfully silly.

Could just be aesthetics - the longer word looks better in that script (and it's still an acceptable translation, since they are a specific type of brewer, even though it's not explicitly referenced.) If English had a single-word for "beer brewer", it's reasonable to assume that they'd've used that as their nickname anyway.

Would it have been more appropriate to use the Germanic-era design for this jersey?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived