Tiger Logo

14er

I am considering using this logo for a local high school concept and would like your thoughts on where to improve it. I know it isn't a final product, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Any constructive critisism would be greatly appreciated.

valleylogo.png

Here's an update within a logo sheet of the high school. I tinkered with the eyes and mouth in an attempt to remove the bored look. I'm hoping it comes across as more of a stoic look now. On the primary I was trying to emphasize the "Valley" more than the "Springs" as the school is locally referred to as just "Valley." The school colors are green and white so I went with a two color look on the lettering. I'm contemplating adding a faint silver outline though. Thoughts? And you can ignore the ones on the black background.

valleylogosheetwm.png

Here's an update within a logo sheet of the high school. I tinkered with the eyes and mouth in an attempt to remove the bored look. I'm hoping it comes across as more of a stoic look now. On the primary I was trying to emphasize the "Valley" more than the "Springs" as the school is locally referred to as just "Valley." The school colors are green and white so I went with a two color look on the lettering. I'm contemplating adding a faint silver outline though. Thoughts? And you can ignore the ones on the black background.

valleylogosheetwm.png

Not really feeling the VS, makes it seem like its versus not valley springs.

I think you need to get a bit more character into it somehow - furrowed brows, a snarl. Now that you have a basic shape don't be afraid to move away from being anatomically correct - it doesn't have to "be" right as long as it "looks" right.

See, what I was trying to do was show you how your logo doesn't work. Most of your detail would vanish if it were black and white. Any great logo works in black and white. Yours, isn't. That's not to say it will never be, it just needs further tweaking.

The ears for example, if B&W would disappear. Try adding some contrast to them. Most of the mouth/nose is under developed, again if shown in B&W it would disappear. Same would go for the brow of the face.

Seriously, turn the orange color white and look at your logo. Half of it will disappear. Please work in black and white first, then add color.

Thank you for your input. Am I on the right track with this?

valleylogoupdate2.png

I thickened the highlights above the eye a bit and worked on the eye itself. Hopefully that helped the bored look some more. Let me know what you think. Also, I'm contemplating leaving the logo in just 2 colors since the school uses green and white, and orange is not in the color palette. I feel as if it better represents the school that way. What are your thoughts on that too?

valleylogoupdate3.png

Show me a black and white version please.

Here's a larger look at the update with the black highlights like the original. I'd really like to hear some thoughts on where to improve the tiger.

valleylogoupdate.png

See, what I was trying to do was show you how your logo doesn't work. Most of your detail would vanish if it were black and white. Any great logo works in black and white. Yours, isn't. That's not to say it will never be, it just needs further tweaking.

The ears for example, if B&W would disappear. Try adding some contrast to them. Most of the mouth/nose is under developed, again if shown in B&W it would disappear. Same would go for the brow of the face.

Seriously, turn the orange color white and look at your logo. Half of it will disappear. Please work in black and white first, then add color.

Honestly, this may be one of the best pieces of advice I have ever heard for working in logos. It is such a simple thing that I often forget to do, we really need to remember the fundamentals when we work. Good call.

@14er: Now that you have the contrast and form laid out I would suggest going back in with the orange now and adding that color back in. Keep up the work and I love your attitude to criticism it is really a great one.

Archived