Dan Wheldon Dead @33

capitalcanuck

If I'm going to comment on the safety of these cars, I have only one idea:

These are, for lack of a better term, ground-born jets. The shape and force on the body seems similar to me (key word being "seems"). That being said, they really need to close in the cockpit. For gosh sakes, they freakin' call it a cockpit rather than driver seat. Had the car been closed in with a light-weight, but extremely durable window like a fighter jet... Would we have this thread?

Sure he would probably still be hurt, but I'll take hurt over dead any day.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On safety its interesting that Formula 1 has not had a racing fatality since Ayrton Senna's death in 1994. Open wheeled racing cars can be safe, I am not convinced that they can be as safe on an oval track, certainly not on longer, faster ovals.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

http://www.racer.com/wheldons-team-boss-could-quit/article/214633/

The team that helped Dan get a ride in Vegas, may quit altogether. :(

IndyCar team owner Sam Schmidt is considering getting out of racing following the death of his driver Dan Wheldon on the Las Vegas IndyCar finale.

Wheldon died from head injuries sustained in the 15-car pile-up last Sunday, and Schmidt, whose eponymous squad co-fielded the British driver's car with Bryan Herta Autosport at Las Vegas, said that he is now having serious doubts about continuing in the sport.

"I'd by lying if I said I wasn't, but you've got to think about it," said Schmidt, who was paralyzed in an IndyCar crash at Walt Disney World Speedway in 2000. "It's one thing to take the risk yourself and my situation, it's something I was doing since I was 5-years old and I'm still here to watch my kids grow up. It's an amazing parallel between Dan's age and my age when I got hurt and the ages of his kids.

"I'm still in a state of shock, but I just don't know if I can be this tightly associated with something like that in the future."

baltimoreravens.png

Archived