Dan Wheldon Dead @33

capitalcanuck

I hate to say this...I mean, at this time I REALLY hate to say this...but Indycar just can't seem to get out of it's own way. I know this is basically the most dangerous form of racing, but with Danica going out today, this was supposed to be a big event for them and then this horrible crash upends that. Let us not forget that 10 years ago, when ALL U.S. based sports took a halt the weekend after 9/11, Indycar (albeit CART at that time) decided to race anyway (in Germany)and former champion Alex Zanardi lost both legs in a crash.

To be fair CART and IndyCar are not the same thing. But you're right, it's been a bad year for IndyCar. New Hampshire was a disaster and then drops them, Danica (their only real marketing tool) is bailing, and now this...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I remember when Dale Earnhardt Sr. (my favorite NASCAR driver) died, and it's truly shocking and sad that this kind of incident would happen again so soon. I really hope that the idiots who claim "racing isn't a sport, it's not physical" shut up, because no matter whether it's NASCAR, Indy, or Formula 1, these guys risk their lives every time they get in their cars and get onto the track.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Wow. I remember when Dale Earnhardt Sr. (my favorite NASCAR driver) died, and it's truly shocking and sad that this kind of incident would happen again so soon. I really hope that the idiots who claim "racing isn't a sport, it's not physical" shut up, because no matter whether it's NASCAR, Indy, or Formula 1, these guys risk their lives every time they get in their cars and get onto the track.

I don't always agree with you man, but you hit the nail on the head right there. I cried tonight for Dan, his family, and the entire INDY Racing nation. He was one of my favorites, loved racing at the Mile, always had a great thing to say about Milwaukee. I lost it went I saw another favorite, Tony Kanaan, braking down in the pit area after the meeting. Again being a fan of INDY and seeing them up close and personal, this hit home to me a lil bit. Such a sad day in the sports and racing world.

packchampionslfroh.png

Somebody dies, driving in close quarters at over 200mph.

Surprise, surprise.

There's always one around here.

Well, how many have to die before we realize the lunacy of auto racing?

They know the risks. It's their choice. Doesn't make it any less tragic when something like this happens. Don't like it? Don't watch it.

Somebody dies, driving in close quarters at over 200mph.

Surprise, surprise.

There's always one around here.

Well, how many have to die before we realize the lunacy of auto racing?

growing up in bama racing is 2nd only to college football i support it but indycar needs to limit the number of 1.5 mile tracks its to risky or put restrictor plates or something

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

Seriously, Milo? Even for you, this is a bit much, sarcastically making a comment like that to use this man's death to support your opinion against auto racing, which is yet another on a long list of things you don't like.

Yeah, people have their opinions, and yours are usually different, nothing wrong with that, but I always thought you as someone who had better judgement on how/when to share it.

Why would you even read a thread about auto racing if you don't like it? That just makes it even worse. You made a conscious effort to come into a thread and start trouble.

oBIgzrL.png

Have some damn respect.

Yeah, we get it you don't like racing, don't even bother posting in a thread like this. People here love auto racing, and are pretty beat up about it, so please go away.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Milo, do you really have to blatantly troll in every slightly-sensitive thread on here? Give it a rest.

My point is legitimate.

No, it's really not. Should basketball have been banned after Hank Gathers' death? Should football have been banned after Korey Stringer's death? Should baseball have been banned after Ray Chapman's death?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Seriously, Milo? Even for you, this is a bit much, sarcastically making a comment like that to use this man's death to support your opinion against auto racing, which is yet another on a long list of things you don't like.

Yeah, people have their opinions, and yours are different, but I always thought you as someone who had better judgement on how/when to share it.

I'd say a death is the strongest support possible for my opinion, that racing needs to either be made drastically safer, or done away with.

Yeah, it's somebody's choice to race, and I bet most times their significant other supports them. But now, what about this guy's kids growing up without their dad?

PS: Lights Out, that's apples and oranges, and you know it.

Some of you guys are right...this is a memorial thread, and I've said what I had to say. I'm out.

Auto-racing is just another sport. Like any other sport, there is a possibility for something tragic to happen. One could argue that baseball is just as dangerous because of baseballs being thrown at 90-100 MPH. All sports are taking strides to become safer, especially auto-racing. Plus, these racers are professionals who know what they are doing, so accidents like these are unexpected.

Archived