RIP Smokin' Joe Frazier

LMU

Indeed. Joe and Ali staged some of the most epic fights in boxing, its a shame we wont have an era like that again, and when a great boxer goes to the great ring in the sky it just shines light on what is lost in once was a great sport. RIP Smokin' Joe

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Frazier was one of the few 'name' boxers of his era who I didn't have the privilege to meet, and I regret it. While his hatred of Muhammad Ali was downright visceral (and while initially understandable, should've been let go), from all accounts he was otherwise a generally nice guy outside the ring.

If he fought more recently however, I honestly think he'd be remembered in the way a Michael Spinks or Evander Holyfield would be if they passed: as a solid champion, but not quite admitted into the pantheon of legends. We don't remember the past the way it really was often, and in Frazier's case most are far more apt to remember his stellar performance against Ali in 1971 than the two defeats he suffered at his hands later in their careers, or the ass-whuppin' he took from George Foreman in Kingston. Not to say he wasn't great at all; but we tend to hold modern-day fighters (and athletes in general) to a less forgiving standard.

nav-logo.png

Archived