Is this wrong?

frosty06306

My high school soccer team is playing a home game tonight in the state playoffs final four. Junior year, we lost a game on the road in final four and would have won state against inferior team if we had won semifinal. Last year we were just as good however we choked and lost in the sweet 16 at home in a game 1-0, we hadn't been shutout all year and played much better teams. Now as they get set to take on their semifinal match this year without me, is it wrong if I want them to lose? They are not nearly as good as we were last year and yet have an opportunity to do better in the tournament than either of my two teams who were both far superior to the current squad... Am I a bad person? That being said go Myers Park!!! please beat TC.

You're an :censored: for wishing your teammates (and friends?) to lose an important match-up without you. Although this current team is not as talented as the previous two seasons teams, it appears that they are performing a lot better without you on the field. That being said, quit your whining and be a team player and show your support for your teammates (and friends?).

This happened to me in football. Junior year, we lost in the CIF quarterfinals. Senior year, we lost in the CIF Semifinals. The year after I left, they went on to the championship game and won. I went to the game and cheered them on, and I even went with a group of the guys that graduated with me. We were all a little bitter that it wasn't us sure, but we were happy for our alma mater, we were happy for our ex-teammates that won, we were happy for our coaches, etc.

Yeah, that's wrong.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

It's wrong. Not wrong and understandable to feel a bit jealous however. Happened to me in high school and then college. High school we made semifinals for the first time in school history and the next year they made it to the state championships. A few years after I left my college team won conference. Still rooted them both on.

I don't think it's wrong at all. It's wrong to tell anyone, and to openly cheer for the other team, but jealousy and schadenfreude are totally normal feelings and there's no shame in indulging them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well they lost 1-0, It is really more about jealousy I think than anything else. There are only a few kids on the team that I would call friends. I'll be honest our whole class had anger toward one kid on the team who was a sophmore, and this year is a junior. So after next season once he graduates I'll gladly cheer them on for the rest of time.

My high school soccer team is playing a home game tonight in the state playoffs final four. Junior year, we lost a game on the road in final four and would have won state against inferior team if we had won semifinal. Last year we were just as good however we choked and lost in the sweet 16 at home in a game 1-0, we hadn't been shutout all year and played much better teams. Now as they get set to take on their semifinal match this year without me, is it wrong if I want them to lose? They are not nearly as good as we were last year and yet have an opportunity to do better in the tournament than either of my two teams who were both far superior to the current squad... Am I a bad person? That being said go Myers Park!!! please beat TC.

My take is quite simple. Whether you root against them secretly or not, it will not affect the outcome. You may want to consider the fact that it was this school that gave you the opportunity to play. Also, if you're questioning if you are a bad person for doing this, it would appear to me that you feel troubled in even considering rooting against them. At least one poster made a very good point in that you would be rooting against guys who had been your teammates previously. Another poster said "Be true to your school." If you root against them and they win, you'll only feel worse in the end. If you root against them and they lose, you might feel somewhat vindicated. It's understandable, we males do have egos, and especially those who are athletes and who competed. It seems that if this team wins this year, it's going to make you feel like you were invalidated somehow. I'm guessing you are 19 or 20 years old. I admire you for being forthright and honest about your feelings and being comfortable enough to share them on here with the rest of us. A very good thought-provoking question.

Archived