New logo for business

mjrbaseball

The owner of a little old-fashioned candy shop in my town asked me to design a new logo. She had her previous logo done by a professional designer, and she does not like it.

The previous version was monochrome, and she wanted something with lots of color, befitting a candy shop. This is my first draft.

candyjar.jpg

I just sent it to the shop owner for her evaluation, which, after all, will be the only one that really matters. But I wanted the opinion of you guys too.

The previous version can be seen on her Facebook page.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

It's really too complex for a logo. I would have simply gone with some sort of multi-colored wordmark.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

It's a decent start, but perhaps a bit too busy.

Maybe try what Andrew suggested whit some sort of multiple colored wordmark. Then you could make a jar logo either on top or to the side of the wordmark that reflects the (owners?) name: "Ebb".

One problem that I have with your curren design, and I don't know if this is just me but...

The name of the store is singular (candy jar) and you have two candy jars depicted in your logo.

Keep trying, I'd love to see what you come up with!

2043050vl19qK6.gif

Clever idea, but needs to be tidied up. I'd try to simplify, simplify, simplify - pick the C or the J for your jar - the store's name is singular so it would make more sense anyway.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I like your idea and it shows creativity. As for the execution, I'm not an expert or a designer so maybe I know just enough to be dangerous, but here's my take:

1. The opening on the 'C' is so high that it's not immediately apparent that it's a 'C'.

2. There are so many colors that it seems reproduction costs might be high.

3. "Reflections" on lids resemble bar codes.

You might consider getting C&C here before submitting future designs, that way if anybody has good ideas you'll be sending the best finished product.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Like the idea but like everyone else has said its far to busy, when designing you really need to think how a logo will look in its simplest form, e.g printed in black on a printer/newspaper that can only do one colour.

logo.png

The whole idea of a candy store is something that speaks vintage to just about everyone, given how few and far between they are nowadays. Would probably be a good approach here.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The whole idea of a candy store is something that speaks vintage to just about everyone, given how few and far between they are nowadays. Would probably be a good approach here.

+1. A colorful wordmark with a jar above it would be an excellent way to approach this. Mixing the letters in with the graphics in this case just makes it too busy. I had a hard time just reading the company name.

The first one was too cluttered. I think that was due to making both the C and the J into jars. I tried it with just the C, and I straightened it.

They do not want a wordmark with a jar above it. That is what they have now, and they don't like it. They want the name incorporated into the image.

candyjar2.jpg

(EBB is the combined initials of the owners, Eileen and Ben Barziloski)

My attempt at using the J as well is because some of the real jars are round and some are rectangular. But that obviously didn't work.

I did do a B/W version suitable for monochrome printing too:

candyjar2b.jpg

In addition, I tilted the lid on the jar so that it is at an angle, like the real jars are. (That makes them easier for little kids to reach in.)

candyjar3.jpg

GlassSlantJar1Gal_x.jpg

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I find it too bold, too clean and too rigid. A candy store is like a soda fountain, and I think it might be nice to play into that nostalgia with some sort of ornate 1940s lettering or maybe an olde tyme script. When Doug says 'a wordmark with a candy jar' I'm almost positive that what he's envisioning is very far from what they have now. I would definitely recommend presenting a nostalgic option in addition to your current one. Maybe they won't like it, but I imagine that if you can sell them on the idea of being an olde tyme candy store, they will like it, and they will be much better off in the long run. My take is that when people think of candy stores, they envision (or want to envision) something along the lines of the lobby at Cracker Barrel as opposed to something clean and geometric like what you have here.

Beyond that, there's still too many colors and elements to this design.

I think a slightly different typeface could improve your design. Try out something lime Avant Garde, that still has that very circular "C." Also, try a two color version of the logo, in addition to the full color one, with only two colors of gum balls that will ease printing costs.

Logoman, that pink and purple are great. I will give that a try. And Avant Garde may indeed be the way to go, JP.

If it was just "EBB's Candy Shoppe", then your stand alone might work, Logoman. But the owner wants a jar image in it because that is the name. Sometimes you have do things like that, as you well know.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Archived