New logo for business

mjrbaseball

After viewing EBB's Facebook page, these new logos are too modern for the store. How about using EBB's in a script across the side of a candy jar?

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

After showing the samples to the owner, she preferred the jar lid right on top, not angled, and wanted all caps for EBB's. So this is what I ended up with.

candyjarC1.png

candyjarB1.png

However ...I do like your sketch, CAB, so I came up with this, which i will also suggest to the owner. (I love the subtlety of the jar lid).

cjx.png

CK3ZP8E.jpg

In the 'sketch' concept I'd give the "a" more room next to the "C" but otherwise looks good!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

To clarify my earlier comments: I was talking about just having some stylized version of the candy jar above a vintage-looking wordmark.

The basic idea that I was going for with that is this: having a wordmark and logo that can be separated for functionality's sake. If you look at a lot of large companies (I know, not your client's competition, but hear me out), you have a lot of companies that present a logo with a wordmark, and one without. My issue with this design is that it cannot be separated. Say you're doing a business card, letterhead, etc. and you do not want it to look cluttered-- it's good to have the option to pull them apart. A couple examples of what I'm talking about:

castle_logo_and_wordmark-400x244.jpg

Safeway-Logo1.jpg

sprint_logo_white.jpg

I'm using these purely as examples of wordmarks that utilize a logo that can be detached for design purposes. There are a lot of ways to do this, these are just some examples to illustrate my thoughts on one element that I feel what you've come up with is missing in a way.

They may not need any other publications, and as such, the design may work. But from a functionality standpoint, it seems too crowded and busy right now to be used anywhere else beside a sign or tshirt.

As far as the 'feel' of the logo, it still feels a little too rigid for me-- I like Andy's reference to the Cracker Barrel store. It might be cool to come up with something in that realm and see what they think. CAB's suggestion is closer to that. The logo you've got right now feels a little dated, but not in a good way IMO. Like early 90's, late 80's. Again, this is purely my own opinion-- I'm just usually a fan of clean, simple logos. It can work in any era, you just have to execute properly.

I think building off CAB's sketch is the way to go, though the version you've done still lacks that vintage charm.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Everyone is making valid points. However when the client says go in a certain direction, i.e. modern and colorful, that's where you go.

In my opinion, it's your job as the designer to steer them in the right direction-- not settle in to what is familiar for them. "Modern and colorful" can be done in more ways than one, and I think that's up to you-- the designer-- to interpret. After all, they hired you to come up with a design because they needed the assistance. While they may not like the idea of a vintage look (that's their call), there's still opportunity here to de-clutter and simplify the look. It's just a little too complicated.

Good designers give clients what they want, great designers get the best result, at whatever cost.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Now I've gone and done it. By introducing a new idea, the family is now divided. rolleyes.gif

Oh well, it isn't going to be decided for a while now -- the shop is getting too busy this time of year. ... Eileen runs the candy shop while her husband Ben runs the adjacent Ben's Garden Center, where they are selling Christmas trees and handmade wreaths, etc.

And tonight is "Christmas in Our Hometown" night here, where they shut down the streets to traffic (except for horse-drawn carriages, and a trolley to shuttle people.) And there are musicians and dancers and exhibits and treats up and down the streets, The town gets packed with people. [This is getting off topic, so I will take it to the general section, and get back to the logo when I get back to the logo!]

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Archived