NHL Uniform Matchup's

Dexter Morgan

When will the Canucks get rid of that darn Orca?

Hopefully, VERY SOON. I actually think that the contract with the orca and Vancouver wordmark is up very soon. I have heard rumours of the skating Johnny Canuck taking over as the primary, not the updated Stick 'n Rink. Otherwise, the current third would have been worn in the playoffs.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully, VERY SOON. I actually think that the contract with the orca and Vancouver wordmark is up very soon. I have heard rumours of the skating Johnny Canuck taking over as the primary, not the updated Stick 'n Rink. Otherwise, the current third would have been worn in the playoffs.

I don't see it happening. The contract has already ran out if I'm not mistaken and if they planned to do away with it, they would have worn the stick n' rink jerseys in the playoffs these last two years...

I don't see it happening. The contract has already ran out if I'm not mistaken and if they planned to do away with it, they would have worn the stick n' rink jerseys in the playoffs these last two years...

Which is why I see Johnny Canuck replacing the orca, not the updated Stick 'n Rink. No matter what the Aquilini brothers say, the orca will be gone. Just a matter of when.

Which is why I see Johnny Canuck replacing the orca, not the updated Stick 'n Rink. No matter what the Aquilini brothers say, the orca will be gone. Just a matter of when.

I disagree, I believe that the Aquilini brothers will keep the Orca. I don't like the logo myself, but a lot of Canucks fans I talk to like the logo.

stevengrantdesign.blogspot.com - Twitter: @StevenGrant94 - Instagram: @stevengrant94

I disagree, I believe that the Aquilini brothers will keep the Orca. I don't like the logo myself, but a lot of Canucks fans I talk to like the logo.

Oh, you'd be surprised that the very majority of Canuck fans over the age of 25 dislike the orca. I've been to playoff games in the past 3 years and I have heard from a few season-ticket holders that Johnny Canuck will eventually replace the orca. If the Aquilini brothers wanted to keep the orca for the long term, they would have added green and made the logo's Native identity look more realistic. They had to keep the orca for legal reasons because they were in the middle of a court case with Tom Gaglardi and Ryan Beetie. By the time the trial was over, the plan to get rid of the orca was too late. Putting the Vancouver above the logo was to "dumb down" the logo and to sell jerseys to tourists during the Olympics.

The jerseys are very copy-and-paste with a logo that is irrelevant to the Canuck name and history and has no green, the Vancouver wordmark is too cluttering and unnecessary, the jersey template is a knockoff from the mid 70s look, and the number font is cheap when traditional block numbering would look a lot better with green accents. Even Cory Schneider's mask has all the team's current logos, except one: the orca.

Those fans you talked to like the logo is due to the Canucks recent success and they associate the orca to the current group of players on the team. Just like I liked the Flying V as a youngster because of the players on the '82 Cup Finalist team.

Oh, you'd be surprised that the very majority of Canuck fans over the age of 25 dislike the orca. I've been to playoff games in the past 3 years and I have heard from a few season-ticket holders that Johnny Canuck will eventually replace the orca. If the Aquilini brothers wanted to keep the orca for the long term, they would have added green and made the logo's Native identity look more realistic. They had to keep the orca for legal reasons because they were in the middle of a court case with Tom Gaglardi and Ryan Beetie. By the time the trial was over, the plan to get rid of the orca was too late. Putting the Vancouver above the logo was to "dumb down" the logo and to sell jerseys to tourists during the Olympics.

The jerseys are very copy-and-paste with a logo that is irrelevant to the Canuck name and history and has no green, the Vancouver wordmark is too cluttering and unnecessary, the jersey template is a knockoff from the mid 70s look, and the number font is cheap when traditional block numbering would look a lot better with green accents. Even Cory Schneider's mask has all the team's current logos, except one: the orca.

Those fans you talked to like the logo is due to the Canucks recent success and they associate the orca to the current group of players on the team. Just like I liked the Flying V as a youngster because of the players on the '82 Cup Finalist team.

Canucks fans have been saying for years that the Orca is about to go away and it never happens. Also the Orca would look terrible with green, that's the only reason it's not in the logo. The Vancouver above the logo was inspired by the Canucks of the WHL, it had nothing to do with the Olympics. And finally, I have talked to people about the Orca for years, and they've liked it long before the Canucks recent success.

I do agree with you that the Orca logo isn't the best logo, I just don't think it's going away anytime soon.

stevengrantdesign.blogspot.com - Twitter: @StevenGrant94 - Instagram: @stevengrant94

For a while I thought this conversation was a clever Luongo vs. Schnieder debate lol. Just wanted to post about the playoff uniform matchups. The 2nd round looks really good as far as uniforms go. There are only 2 teams left that wear red (3 if you count Phoenix), 2 that wear blue and 1 that wears black. None of the matchups feature teams with the same colour scheme. Rangers/Capitals is the closest but the Rangers emphasize blue while Washington emphasizes red. It's gonna be a good looking 2nd round

Canucks fans have been saying for years that the Orca is about to go away and it never happens. Also the Orca would look terrible with green, that's the only reason it's not in the logo. The Vancouver above the logo was inspired by the Canucks of the WHL, it had nothing to do with the Olympics. And finally, I have talked to people about the Orca for years, and they've liked it long before the Canucks recent success.

I do agree with you that the Orca logo isn't the best logo, I just don't think it's going away anytime soon.

If the Canucks do come out with a Johnny Canuck alternate(preferably in navy blue), it would sell like popcorn at the movies. Much like Jets 2.0 merchandise sales in Manitoba and in Western Canada. The Aquilinis would make a huge killing on JC jersey sales. That would speak volumes on what would be far more popular, JC or the orca. However, if the Aquilinis think that the orca with the Vancouver is the way to go, then they would have absolutely no clue on how to properly brand a sports franchise. Here are a few examples on how to properly brand a sports franchise:

Winnipeg Jets 2.0 --> A military jet inside the Canadian Air Force-inspired logo. A huge seller in Manitoba.

Toronto Blue Jays --> An updated version of the classic blue jay logo. The team has never looked better. At least in attire. $$$$$$!!!

Vancouver Whitecaps --> Three snow-whitecap-covered mountain peaks with their reflection in the water forming a VW. One of the more popular MLS brands right now.

Now, with this being a thread about NHL uniform matchups, a Johnny Canuck jersey vs a Chicago Blackhawks jersey would look fantastic.

Oh, you'd be surprised that the very majority of Canuck fans over the age of 25 dislike the orca. I've been to playoff games in the past 3 years and I have heard from a few season-ticket holders that Johnny Canuck will eventually replace the orca. If the Aquilini brothers wanted to keep the orca for the long term, they would have added green and made the logo's Native identity look more realistic.

Every concept I've seen, on these boards or otherwise, attempting to add green to the Orca has looked positively awful. There is a good reason why the logo doesn't feature the colour. Also when it comes to merchandise, green is not a popular colour and by not having it featured in the logo, the organization is able to make products depicting the far more popular scheme of navy, royal, silver and white. Ask the Timberwolves why they dropped it...

They had to keep the orca for legal reasons because they were in the middle of a court case with Tom Gaglardi and Ryan Beetie. By the time the trial was over, the plan to get rid of the orca was too late. Putting the Vancouver above the logo was to "dumb down" the logo and to sell jerseys to tourists during the Olympics.

I keep hearing this but to this day have not seen source to back this up. I assume you have one?

I think they look brilliant. The arched Vancouver has become their own and the native style of the orca represents the geography of the area perfectly

With the recent Stanley Cup run and the amount of jerseys that were sold during that season, I highly doubt they'll just throw them away after such success. If anything people would just buy more knockoffs instead of wanting to drop another 130+ bucks on a new jersey. It certainly isn't the greatest logo ever, but fans have embraced the orca as the best set of jerseys this franchise has ever had (although that isn't really saying much.) Just about everyone I know absolutely loathes the skating Johnny logo, it looks waaaay too damn cartoony and even I wouldn't want to walk around with that on my jersey.

And seriously, the last thing this franchise needs is another goddamn jersey.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

Oh, you'd be surprised that the very majority of Canuck fans over the age of 25 dislike the orca. I've been to playoff games in the past 3 years and I have heard from a few season-ticket holders that Johnny Canuck will eventually replace the orca. If the Aquilini brothers wanted to keep the orca for the long term, they would have added green and made the logo's Native identity look more realistic.

Every concept I've seen, on these boards or otherwise, attempting to add green to the Orca has looked positively awful. There is a good reason why the logo doesn't feature the colour. Also when it comes to merchandise, green is not a popular colour and by not having it featured in the logo, the organization is able to make products depicting the far more popular scheme of navy, royal, silver and white. Ask the Timberwolves why they dropped it...

They had to keep the orca for legal reasons because they were in the middle of a court case with Tom Gaglardi and Ryan Beetie. By the time the trial was over, the plan to get rid of the orca was too late. Putting the Vancouver above the logo was to "dumb down" the logo and to sell jerseys to tourists during the Olympics.

I keep hearing this but to this day have not seen source to back this up. I assume you have one?

I think they look brilliant. The arched Vancouver has become their own and the native style of the orca represents the geography of the area perfectly

We all know the team plays in Vancouver. And there are no orcas leaping in and out of the water 24/7. Just because the Canucks are based in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, doesn't mean they need to have a crest based on their region. The jersey colours are fine. But orca merchandise colours are generic and boring. Leave those colours for the Cowboys and the Mavericks. Also, no other team in hockey uses kelly green. A navy blue Johnny Canuck jersey with kelly green and white would be a HUGE seller. The Canucks have been around a lot longer than the Orca Bay brand, which should stay in the Orca Bay era. Furthermore, the orca logo barely resembles true native art. The Canucks can learn from clubs like the Winnipeg Jets and MLS's Vancouver Whitecaps on how to showcase their definition of their team name.

http://www.straight.com/article-109335/straight-jab

Well, then the Habs should do the same and have a French-Canadian guy on the front of their sweaters. And the Kings Mr. Mid-90s Burger King. And the Oilers an oil rig worker. Etc...

Just because you're named something doesn't mean your logo has to be a literal, verbatim application of it. The orca represents the area perfectly, and while it's true there aren't orcas jumping out of Vancouver bay 24/7, there aren't Sharks doing so in San José. Nor panthers in Florida, lightning in Tampa Bay, predators in Nashville, coyotes in Glendale, penguins in Pittsburgh, bears in Boston, fires in Calgary, avalanches in Denver, Natives in Chicago, hurricanes in Raleigh, ducks in Anaheim, jets in Winnipeg, etc...

"Leave those colours for the Cowboys and the Mavericks." Why? Neither teams wears them anymore, and they play different sports in different cities in different leagues.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

With the recent Stanley Cup run and the amount of jerseys that were sold during that season, I highly doubt they'll just throw them away after such success. If anything people would just buy more knockoffs instead of wanting to drop another 130+ bucks on a new jersey. It certainly isn't the greatest logo ever, but fans have embraced the orca as the best set of jerseys this franchise has ever had (although that isn't really saying much.) Just about everyone I know absolutely loathes the skating Johnny logo, it looks waaaay too damn cartoony and even I wouldn't want to walk around with that on my jersey.

And seriously, the last thing this franchise needs is another goddamn jersey.

Johnny Canuck is no more cartoony than Chicago's Chief Black Hawk logo or the Boston Celtics' leprechaun. People are entitled to like whatever logo they want, but unfortunately, too many Orca Canuck fans don't really understand the history and legacy of Johnny Canuck. People in today's political correct society don't seem to have an appreciation for heritage and history. I grew up bleeding the awesome yellow, reddish-orange, and black V uniforms of the '82 Canucks. A team that had the likes of Stan "Steamer" Smyl, Dave "Tiger" William, Thomas Gradin, Harold Snepsts, and "King" Richard Brodeur. I was only 12 at the time, but I thought those uniforms were as classic as the Montreal Canadiens' rouge, blanc, and bleu. However, as I got older, I grew to appreciate the history of the Canucks' name. I still love the '82 colours, but the current colours are the proper colours for the club. Now, the club needs is it's true namesake identity.

Morgo, no disrespect, but I forgot to mention that I do find it contradicting when you say that every orca concept you've seen with green looks awful and that green is not a popular colour for merchandising when in your avatar, you say that you like any logo with kelly green. Well, Johnny Canuck not only defines what a "Canuck" is, but he is wearing a kelly green shirt. Even the very popular Stick 'n Rink has kelly green and I would have absolutely no problem with that being the primary with Johnny on the shoulders as an alternative to having Johnny as the primary. So, based on your avatar, you really favour JC and the Stick 'n Rink over the greenless orca.

Morgo, no disrespect, but I forgot to mention that I do find it contradicting when you say that every orca concept you've seen with green looks awful and that green is not a popular colour for merchandising when in your avatar, you say that you like any logo with kelly green. Well, Johnny Canuck not only defines what a "Canuck" is, but he is wearing a kelly green shirt. Even the very popular Stick 'n Rink has kelly green and I would have absolutely no problem with that being the primary with Johnny on the shoulders as an alternative to having Johnny as the primary. So, based on your avatar, you really favour JC and the Stick 'n Rink over the greenless orca.

I do favour Johnny Canuck and the updated stick and rink over the orca. What I was saying though, is that if they must keep it, they should never add green to it. I love logos with green but for some reason the colour just doesn't work for that one. It gives the logo too many colours giving it a muddled look

I do favour Johnny Canuck and the updated stick and rink over the orca. What I was saying though, is that if they must keep it, they should never add green to it. I love logos with green but for some reason the colour just doesn't work for that one. It gives the logo too many colours giving it a muddled look

Okay, I understand now. Sorry for the misunderstanding. However, it is time to get rid of the orca and go with Johnny Canuck. There is no need to keep a logo that is irrelevant to the team's history and heritage and doesn't include one of the main colours. If there was a vibrant navy blue Johnny Canuck third uniform with kelly green and white trimming, it would be a huge hit in not only Vancouver and BC, but throughout the hockey world.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I understand now. Sorry for the misunderstanding. However, it is time to get rid of the orca and go with Johnny Canuck. There is no need to keep a logo that is irrelevant to the team's history and heritage and doesn't include one of the main colours. If there was a vibrant navy blue Johnny Canuck third uniform with kelly green and white trimming, it would be a huge hit in not only Vancouver and BC, but throughout the hockey world.

Yeah, it was only used in the most successful season in franchise history. No big deal.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

CanucksKingsRetro2010.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1286682549072

:wub:

After reading this entire thread, and viewing all the photos, this photo of the Kings @ Vancouver is by far my favorite throwback uniform match-up. The first year of the Sabres I saw the Kings skate into the Aud with those Forum Blue PURPLE uniforms. Just awesome!!!

As a Sabres fan my whole life, when we came into the NHL along with the Canucks in 1970-1971 I went to see the Sabres vs Canucks game at the Aud in Buffalo. I was never thrilled with the new Buffalo hockey uniform, especially after having those awesome AHL uniforms with the PEPSI bottlecap logo like my avatar....

What I didn't know at the time was that it was the first season that the NHL had gone back to the home team wearing white jerseys at home (except LA & Oakland w/ their yellow), and colored jerseys for the road team.

Scalping outside the Aud was a piece of cake and I got us tickets for the first game of the 2 expansion teams, Vancouver at Buffalo. I liked Vancouver's white with blue and green trim alot with the stick in the rink and thought "Why couldn't we just keep the PEPSI bottle-cap logos. The Bisons had been owned by the Pepsi bottling corp of Western NY since 1955 and I guess the Sabres wanted to have a brand new identity since they're in the NHL now. If they were able to use those as a 3rd jersey they'd sell like hotcakes, just like Vancouver's Johnny Canuck. Surprised that JC logo is so popular still. They wore them for a dozen years after the end of WWII and then I think longer when 2 of those west coast leagues merged, is that correct??

I like the stink in the rink logo ever since I first saw the white set in 1970. How well that blue went with the green they used.... Those would be great full time, and have Johnny Canuck logo uniforms as the alternates .... but the PLAID shirt is a must. Gives him that Paul Bunyan look.

I also loved that shade of blue used on the St Louis Blue uniforms which was so much better looking with their blue than our new blue. I liked their logo and how much it looked better without having to be mounted inside of a circle. What has been done with that St Louis uniform over the years is a crying shame, especially when they added ketchup to the color scheme.

Red Bersenson was traded to the Red Wings from the Blues for Garry Unger prior to the 70-71 season so the picture in the centre of Red is most likely from 1968 or 1969. The venue is probably the Forum in Montreal. They were notorious for having the sky-blue boards along the edge of the ice.

BTW, all you Canucks fans .... whenever I see them play on TV, it seems to me that the vast majority of the fans wear the stick-in-the-rink jersey by about 4-1 over the Orca. I check it out ever time they're on TV against the Ducks or Kings up there, always the same result.

RackMultipart.11294.0_display_image.jpgBerensonBlues1.jpggarryunger3.jpg

The guy standing behind the players bench is wearing a late 60s Buffalo Bisons home jersey. They'd make a fortune in sales if they can get a © deal with Pepsi to sell them and use as alternate jerseys.

bisonsjersey2.jpg

Archived