Reworking the MLS and now the NASL

mcrosby

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two more.

First is Toronto FC. I mostly did recoloring here. I took out some of the pieces I found unnecessary and moved the maple leaf to the bottom to be closer to the Toronto flag. I think the leaf on the bottom also makes the crest cleaner as well.

TorontoFC.png

Next up is DC United. I used the 2007 MLS Cup logo here and added an eagle, changed the colors, blah blah, blah blah. I used a currency-like font as well.

DCUnitedNew.png

Two more for ya. Both teams with current strong identities and very minor tweaks.

First up: Portland Timbers. The Timbers identity is very strong, but I feel they missed the mark on their latest update. I used their previous logo and the axe from their current to make this logo. I've made the yellow more of a yellow/green or 'volt' color as well. Like I said, just small tweaks.

PortlandTimbers.png

Next up: FC Dallas. Dallas has, in my opinion, one of the best marks in the league. My only real tweak was to make the longhorn bigger, because in Texas everything is bigger. I also changed the red mark on the bulls forehead into the state of Texas.

FCDallas.png

Well that makes a whole lot more sense, should've researched the flame.

And along with that, here's Philly.

For the Union I wanted to change up the colors. I find that the gold and light blue get lost in each other. I chose copper, to reflect the Liberty Bell and because copper is a completely underused color in the sporting world. I used the bell from the most recent Winter Classic (this series was all about mishing and mashing logos together that already exist). I replaced the puck with a soccer ball. The use of the rattlesnake is something I think the USMNT should continue and thus the bell. I combined the two logos the Union use to make this. It does get rid of the 13 stars to represent the colonies but that was a sacrifice I was willing to make for the concept. Have at it.

PhiladelphiaUnion-1.png

Another set of two to get the comments flowing.

Next installment: San Jose Spurs. I abandoned the Earthquakes moniker in favor of the name of their sister club in the EPL due to PC reasons. I just feel that earthquakes is not a great name considering the devastation they cause, and I started this concept not long after the Haitian earthquake. Anywho, the concept adds new colors to represent SJ and uniformity with the Sharks. The centerpiece of the logo is borrowed from Tottenham and placed in front of a split colored sun from the SJ city logo. As an homage to the Earthquake name I placed a symbol of it below the U of 'spurs'.

SanJoseSpursNew.png

And then: Montreal Impact or Impact Montréal. I liked their attempt at a new logo when they entered the MLS, but they missed in quite a few ways. I tried to fix those things. Instead of splitting the shield into top and bottom halves I went with quarters. Two opposing quarters contain the signature blue and black stripes and the other two symbols of Quebec and Montreal. The top left contains a fleur de lys (that actually fits the space) and the bottom right has a thistle, rose, and shamrock to represent the founding nations as the stars in the current logo represent. The other piece in the bottom right quarter is a portion of the Montreal city logo. Yes, the French representation in the logo is a quite a bit more prominent than the other three and that may offend some....but let's face it, French is more prominent.

MontrealImpact.png

Great work across the board, but if you're willing to change the names of a club, why not do a LA Aztecs concept to replace Chivas? The name has historical cache and would still designate the team as representing SoCal's Latino community.

I left Chivas because I wanted to maintain the relationship they have with Chivas Guadalajara (I was going to call them the other Chivas but that didn't seem right). The logo probably would have been enough to do that but when you have the opportunity to use a brand like Chivas I see no reason to stray from that. Stay tuned Ilwauk-I think I'll probably continue the series when the current teams are done with some potential expansion teams......Milwaukee may just be included.

Spot on with your Montreal Impact concept! You make all the right points about the current logo and you fixed everything in a great way.

I like the TFC concept too and I'm wondering what it would look like with a dark and light blue combo.

Keep up the good work!

5737a3a4-1de5-426d-a5eb-067469bdd6e3.jpg

Ask and ye shall receive.:

TFC.png

thats looks great! the only thing i hate about it now is the red....

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Archived