Wildcat logo

The Fixer

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did I say they were the same or something? Nope.

Simply said that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw it. I have several pieces of AC equipment, so my reasoning is obvious.

Simmer down, sheesh.

i'm not boiling, so getting to a simmer would actually be up...i simply pointed out that aside from being cats, the two logos are nothing alike

nothing about the lines, shape, color, style...really ANYTHING other than the subject matter is similar between these logos - when you use the term "Reminds me of this..." and post another logo, the implication is that there is some similarity between the logos in question

if the wildcat logo in this thread reminds you of the arctic cat logo, you will find A LOT of logos that remind you of the arctic cat logo and we'll all get tired of seeing that horrible logo posted in every thread with a cat logo :)

jldesigns404eo.png

Well he googled "wildcat logo" and picked the first clip art looking thing he could find. Seriously, it is like the 5th logo on there. And I'm willing to give him my made from scratch logo for free, and hopefully in 4 years after college, my work will be worth a lot of money.

...wow. Sorry to hear that man. I've had that happen before-- actually a really picky client who had me make a TON of edits for silly reasons (mostly because she kept changing her mind), and then she went with a stock logo from VistaPrint. I don't get it. Part of the issue, I think, is that some people just don't place the same value that we do on the aesthetics and overall design of the logo, they would rather have something quick and marginal (at best).

...wow. Sorry to hear that man. I've had that happen before-- actually a really picky client who had me make a TON of edits for silly reasons (mostly because she kept changing her mind), and then she went with a stock logo from VistaPrint. I don't get it. Part of the issue, I think, is that some people just don't place the same value that we do on the aesthetics and overall design of the logo, they would rather have something quick and marginal (at best).

Thats exactly it. Wanted it done quick and didn't put the same value on design. He also let the captains pick. He showed the captains his design, which while horrible looking was creative and different. and he showed them my logo, which he just pasted on a blue jersey and was very boring.

I sent an email with better designs with my logo and said I wasn't a fan of using images off of google and rather have something original. Here is his response

I will send this all off later today. Lol, also be gentle with the whole "dragged it off google" thing. I dont have your talent but that was my first attempt with illustrator ever so I was a bit proud of it. I clearly would rather use your stuff but just saying.

people don't realize that...yeah its wrong to steal logos. Even if you traced it in AI, its NOT YOUR logo.

Also, I understand wanting to get your work "out there". But giving it away for free is the reason people ask for it for free. They think they can do it without any skills or training whatsoever, and that's not the case. I'd at least charge something for the logo you created, whether they use it or not. Don't sell yourself (and every other designer out there) short.

Also, I understand wanting to get your work "out there". But giving it away for free is the reason people ask for it for free. They think they can do it without any skills or training whatsoever, and that's not the case. I'd at least charge something for the logo you created, whether they use it or not. Don't sell yourself (and every other designer out there) short.

Well it's an old friend, the coach of the team, and I'm going to play on the team. I was going to get a free jersey. I did it as a favor to get my work out there. If I would've asked for a bigger price, they would've just said "no thanks, we will do something else". They really don't care

If they don't care, neither should you. Just because a client isn't willing to pay up, doesn't mean you should lower yourself to give it away for free.

I understand the personal ties, and that's fine. But, with that comes exactly what happened to you. In that situation, you're just viewed as a friend pitching in, not a professional designer. Thus, they didn't hesitate to dump your hard work.

Saying my work will be worth a lot after 4 years of school is the wrong attitude. Your work can be worth a lot now. Market yourself, and your work, like it is worth a lot and people will respect that.

Fair enough. But even if I had to give one logo away, I figured it was worth the price to progress my career a bit. It gets my name out there and I finally get to see some work pay off, by seeing them on the field. Well it's been a good lesson. I sent some GOOD designs with my logo, so we will see if they end up going with it.

Archived