"Unanswered points"

PurpleRush

No, it's not a score. We've accepted it as a score, just like we accept people saying "offsides", "should of", "irregardless", and other :censored:.

If a game ends 0-0, what was the score of the game? You don't say there was no score.

Sure you do. It was a scoreless game. It implies that the scoreboard read "0-0" and there was no scoring by either team.

Right.

"There was no scoring." = "a scoreless tie" = "nobody scored" = "The score was 0-0."

0 is a number. Therefore, 0-0 is a score.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it's not a score. We've accepted it as a score, just like we accept people saying "offsides", "should of", "irregardless", and other :censored:.

If a game ends 0-0, what was the score of the game? You don't say there was no score.

Sure you do. It was a scoreless game. It implies that the scoreboard read "0-0" and there was no scoring by either team.

The noun is a recap of the verb.

You've made the point yourself their. A 0-0 score actually reflects a game with no scoring, technically, rather than no score. A game always has a score, even if their has yet to be any scoring. (I am actually running out of ways to describe a relatively easy concept here!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

You've made the point yourself their. A 0-0 score actually reflects a game with no scoring, technically, rather than no score. A game always has a score, even if their has yet to be any scoring. (I am actually running out of ways to describe a relatively easy concept here!)

YES. Exactly.

As long as score is being kept, 0-0 is a score.

If you're not keeping score...you're not keeping score. There's literally no score. Like in tag. Or checkers. Or whatever.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Their? Wheir their? You're trying to educate me on the English language?? Really? You want me to teach you relatively easy concepts on uses of there, they're, and their??

As long as score is being kept, 0-0 is a score.

The word "score" originated from keeping a tally by using a rock (or some other device) and making a mark on wood or dirt. People used to "score" the wood or dirt with the rock when keeping a tally. If there's nothing to tally, it's impossible to "score" the wood. There are no score marks. The wood is scoreless.

We're never going to agree. You, Goth, Saintsfan and Mockba have your view. I have mine. Mine is you should never say "It's a 0-0 tie going into the bottom of the sixth"...rather, "It's scoreless going to the bottom of the sixth". Yes, we're splitting hairs. But people think "offsides" is correct. C'est la vie.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Their? Wheir their? You're trying to educate me on the English language?? Really? You want me to teach you relatively easy concepts on uses of there, they're, and their??

A typo is very different from actually getting something wrong. And you are wrong. It's not wrong to say 'the game is scoreless' because that reflects a game in which no scoring has occured. It's also correct to say 'the score is 0-0'.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

A typo is very different from actually getting something wrong. And you are wrong. It's not wrong to say 'the game is scoreless' because that reflects a game in which no scoring has occured. It's also correct to say 'the score is 0-0'.

I'm not wrong, so forgive me when I tell you to get bent. Read my edited post about where the word "score" came from. The guy keeping score is just keeping a tally. If there's nothing to tally, there's no score. The game or team is scoreless. They haven't scored, and there are no points for the official scorer to tally.

And I'd be extra careful on typos if I'm trying to make someone feel dumb about the English language...

I'm not wrong, so forgive me when I tell you to get bent. Read my edited post about where the word "score" came from. The guy keeping score is just keeping a tally. If there's nothing to tally, there's no score. The game or team is scoreless. You can't have zero points...rather, you have no points. Just like you don't say you have zero money.

And I'd be extra careful on typos if I'm trying to make someone feel dumb about the English language...

So the word 'gay' doesn't actually mean a homosexual? The etymology of the word has little relevance to it's current usage.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I'm not wrong, so forgive me when I tell you to get bent. Read my edited post about where the word "score" came from. The guy keeping score is just keeping a tally. If there's nothing to tally, there's no score. The game or team is scoreless. You can't have zero points...rather, you have no points. Just like you don't say you have zero money.

So the word 'gay' doesn't actually mean a homosexual? The etymology of the word has little relevance to it's current usage.

And your posts have little relevance on this board. But you're still here.

Wow mature intelligent thoughtful response their, good job!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

And your posts have little relevance on this board. But you're still here.

Wow mature intelligent thoughtful response their, good job!

Don't you have a lawsuit to file over a pee test for your government welfare check?

The score of the above argument is 0-0. It could also be said that it's scoreless.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Both can be correct in terms of zero depending on in what context one is speaking of the term you are defining zero. Just like most things in the english language there are multiple meanings and can have different meanings. For example in certain mathematical properties zero, shown by 0 is considered a place holder, and can be a place holder in monetary values. Though it is a number in certain other places, for example the keypad of the phone. Sure the zero on the keypad of the phone can be used as a place holder, but it doesn't always have to be.

I don't mind anyone saying 0-0. I personally wouldn't say 0-0 tie, because it's kind of redundant. I've heard hockey announcers typically say "no score" which is fine with me. I think if a soccer match ends 0-0, it's okay to say 0-0 draw, but "scoreless draw" may fit better.

What annoys me is when I hear some replace zero with "O" quite a few times I hear "What's the score" it's O-O" or I hear "what's his phone number? "(Five-O-Five) Some may not realize that they say O and would typically dial 505. However some when they might hear Five-O-Five, might start dialing 565.

The score of the above argument is 0-0. It could also be said that it's scoreless.

I'd lean more towards "pointless".

Like the argument? B)

I'm glad someone got the double entendre. :rolleyes:

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Archived