Iowa State Pro Combat

cyclonefan_1

Hey guys, I was feeling creative tonight and decided to make a Pro Combat jersey of my school, Iowa State.

I used the 1956 uniforms for a base of the idea. The football team in the 50s were not terribly great but I thought that the uniforms looked good and wanted to utilize the under shirt stripes. for the logos, numbers, etc..., I used the university's present athletic identity. For the under shirt I used a slogan that is popular at Iowa State: Cyclone Nation. This is usually drawn with the ONE in cyclone a different color but I felt it looked better on this shirt all in one color. Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

The 1956 Uniforms: 6794237845_3accf8fd03_m.jpg6794237827_cab022886d_m.jpg

The undershirt, design, and gloves: 6794237727_b7281c024e_m.jpg6794237917_9b1cdfb116.jpg6794237941_2a887f811a_m.jpg

The Pro Combat Uniform: 6794237757_729b01562b_z.jpg

6812257506_f163afb409_c.jpg

Wow...great way to fuse the old-school look with the current typography. I likes! One question, though...as the pants in that old picture have no stripes, yet your concept does, would it not be more cohesive to adorn the helmet with the same kind of stripe, or leave both blank to match? Just a thought.

(Oh--and player Trice's first name wouldn't happen to be Obie, would it?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The idea isn't bad, but the execution is lacking. It looks much to MS Paintish, and not Pro Combat. I don't really know if that makes sense or not. It's mostly presentation issues.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Wow...great way to fuse the old-school look with the current typography. I likes! One question, though...as the pants in that old picture have no stripes, yet your concept does, would it not be more cohesive to adorn the helmet with the same kind of stripe, or leave both blank to match? Just a thought.

No, it is Jack Trice. Our football stadium is named after him. He was the schools first African- American athlete.

Did not know that...very interesting bit of trivia.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

No, it is Jack Trice. Our football stadium is named after him. He was the schools first African- American athlete.

As a Husker, I'll miss playing games at Jack Trice Stadium. Nice venue at ISU.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Alright, so I posted this concept on our Iowa State boards and they did not get the best reception, mostly because there is no historical appeal. Instead the story of Jack Trice, as he was already partially discussed on here, was brought up.

Trice's story is one that is very well known by us Iowa Staters. The story in a very quick summary is that he was Iowa State's first African- American athlete. He was a very well respected and liked student and person who hoped to gain a college degree to return to the south and help out fellow African- Americans. Jack was not allowed to stay with the team in their hotel when they went to Minnesota in 1923, his sophomore year. During the game, Trice suffered injuries from the Gophers due to him being the best player on either side of the line. He passed after arriving back in Ames, IA the day after the game. The vast majority of the students attended his funeral service held on campus. Eventually, Iowa States football stadium was named after him due to a student effort to honor the university's first black athlete.

Our board, www.cyclonefanatic.com, went to work after I posted my original Pro Combat and come up with ways to honor Trice while also going along with Pro Combat ideas. Here is what we came up with. Thank you for taking the time to check this out. Leave a comment on what you think about these.

Jack Trice:

Trice,-Jack-1923.jpg

My concept: (sorry about the crappy paint format!)

6807407727_b35cc82b1c_z.jpg

Another concept by isubeatle

6809082803_320973b7ec_z.jpg

I will download it and mess around to see what I come up with. Thanks for the template.

Anyways, some one brought up that the 3 stripes would look to much like Adidas, and since the uniform actually had 5 stripes on it (the two outside are hidden by Trice's arms) I changed the model to have 5 stripes.

6809468821_ced3a17ce5_z.jpg

What do you guys think? To cluttered?

ISU Beatle's concept is brilliant. I really hope Iowa State wears something like that in the future!

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• 2 months later...

I tell you what...I would LOVE to see that hit the field. That is awesome.

Archived