Ancient Football

EvilEmpire

All of the below is fictional and just a product of my imagination:

American football as it turns out may not be so new or so American. Last Friday (09 February 2012), Historians in Ravenna, Italy came across a pennant bearing a Pegasus logo with the name ?Romae? or Rome. Experts believe that this is a remnant of perhaps sport?s biggest conspiracy: Ancient battles were not fought on the battle field with swords and shields but rather on the gridiron with jersey and pads. According to Bryce Earnhardt of the University of Phoenix, "there is evidence of Rome as a football juggarnaught that excelled with #7 Julius Caesar under center, who is widely considered the best QB in history".

FoundRome.png

Pennant found in Ravenna. 100% made by me

Colisium2.png

Colisium.png

Artist's reconstruction of football field in the Roman Coliseum (I only put the two together, did not make either model)

The Roman Pennant was not the first such evidence of football in the Ancient World. In 1997, A Greek fisherman fishing 19 miles south-east of Athens came up with a helmet in suprisingly good shape, the helmet has since been restored even though the logo was washed off over the years. (I don't wanna reveal too much just yet)

GreekHelmet-1.png

Greek Helmet, Used SVG Template from this site

I will establish who the teams are and then come up with uniforms

On October 14th 1974, two children playing on a deserted beach aprox. 50 km west of Lagos, Nigeria found a misplaced piece of history in a via a shard of driftwood on the shore with a logo bearing the hammer of Thor they gave it to a United Nations personal who brought it to University of New York professor Howard Dahl who verified it as an authentic scandenavian artifact.

vikingplank.png

Hey man! i like this idea for a series! I hope you throw down some uniforms, but I gotta say, it's kinda cool going the "artifact" route. Ancient merchandise is a pretty cool idea. it reminds me of Ice_Cap's awesome historical nations hockey concepts, another of my all-time favorite series:

Very cool idea, looking forward to seeing what's next!

Grunge-Logos.png

In 2004, a Polish-Egyptian excavation team announced that they had discovered the remains of the Library of Alexandria. When they found a scroll that was still somehow intact they unrolled it to reveal a logo that some say is reminescent of a mysterious football team's logo. The scroll went missing in August 2007 but, rumor has it its being examinened in the basement of the British Museum in London.

EgyptPapyrus.png

Scroll in May 2005

Edit: Sorry for the pixelated image

• 3 weeks later...

Archived