St. Louis Cardinals World Series Champions uniforms

illini1

No, the rings are Saturday. Today was the banners. I think they split it up to have more promo items for more fans. Also, their opening day ceremony was 45 minutes without the rings (HOFers, players on trucks, 4 commissioner trophies on display, banners, etc.).

And I hope that world series champions patch comes off at some point (I'd say May 1st). It will look lame if we're 10 games under .500 in July with that patch still on the sleeve (obviously hoping that doesn't happen!).

Nope. That patch will be on the sleeve the whole season.

That's the plan as of now, but didn't the Giants just decide as a team to remove it last year at midseason?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see the problem in wearing the patch all year. It does say "2011," right? Even if they are 10 games under .500 in May, it doesn't change the fact that they are 2011 World Series champions. And based on how they won last year, I'm not sure that argument holds water anyway (10 games back on August whatever).

The gold didn't look so hot, and neither did the Cardinals, so threat of them adopting them permanently for luck ... so far. (You know how superstitious baseball players can be. :) ) The cap didn't come off as good as I thought it would, either. It looked almost "yellowed" or dirty rather than gold. Of course I saw it from a distance on an SDTV at work. Maybe it wll all look better in HDTV.

I was at Scheels yesterday and overheard a salesman telling a customer the replica gold jerseys they had were authentic. I had to stop and inform them they were far from authentic. I went through every detail and the salesman told me I was wrong. I finally said "You're right. I'm sure players wear jerseys with iron on numbers and birds on the bat." he was either lying to the customer or incredibly incompetent.

Giants wore the patch all last season

It's understandable why the Giants wanted to do that, it goes back to the special relationship teams have in the cities they reside. After all, it's why city names are always before nicknames, and why city names are frequently on road jerseys, and/or on hats/helmets. Sports franchises have never been like a McDonald's restaurant, nearly identical from coast to coast. Even with the same nickname, and similar uniform, everything changes once a team relocates, and begins to build a history with achievements in the new city. 2010 marked the first World Championship for the San Francisco Giants, a very significant feat. It was the first time the fans in San Francisco had the chance to celebrate having the best team in the world. The New York era ended when the team moved, along with those memories and the bond with New York. While San Francisco had the good fortune of enjoying Willie Mays for a number of years, he was one of few crossover stars from New York. Before the overall Giants franchise moved west, the only connection they had with San Francisco were the low number of transplanted New York fans, or people outside New York, who for some reason, liked them.

Ditto for the Atlanta Braves, the 1995 World Championship will also have special meaning. The Boston/Milwaukee era was a clear separation, and Atlanta fans also enjoyed the good timing of Hank Aaron for roughly a decade. Naturally, before 1966, there were few people without Milwaukee ties who cared about the Braves in the city of Atlanta.

Same goes for the Indianapolis Colts, and Dallas Stars. One could get excited about statistics in the general sense, if a player on a relocated franchise becomes the overall leader in a specific category, but it doesn't have nearly the impact if it didn't happen in the same city. The generations of fans who watched those great players from the past have that special bond with that historical franchise. Achievements and memories, even those of not so great players.

I was at Scheels yesterday and overheard a salesman telling a customer the replica gold jerseys they had were authentic. I had to stop and inform them they were far from authentic. I went through every detail and the salesman told me I was wrong. I finally said "You're right. I'm sure players wear jerseys with iron on numbers and birds on the bat." he was either lying to the customer or incredibly incompetent.

"authentic" and "Authentic" are two totally different things. Neither the salesperson, nor you were wrong.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

"authentic" and "Authentic" are two totally different things. Neither the salesperson, nor you were wrong.

He may have just not typed it with a capital A. And you can't really tell a difference between the pronunciation of a lower case or upper case letter. So since we weren't there, I'll take his word for it.

No, the rings are Saturday. Today was the banners. I think they split it up to have more promo items for more fans. Also, their opening day ceremony was 45 minutes without the rings (HOFers, players on trucks, 4 commissioner trophies on display, banners, etc.).

And I hope that world series champions patch comes off at some point (I'd say May 1st). It will look lame if we're 10 games under .500 in July with that patch still on the sleeve (obviously hoping that doesn't happen!).

Nope. That patch will be on the sleeve the whole season.

Why? The Cardinals have won the World Series many times before, and have won it recently. Do they really need to put a patch on their uniforms saying "Hey, we're World Series Champions! Again!"?

I'm fine with the championship patches and gold-tinted (but not full-gold wordmarks like the Cards and Giants) uniforms on opening day, but the patch all season seems like a little much.

spacer.png

He may have just not typed it with a capital A. And you can't really tell a difference between the pronunciation of a lower case or upper case letter. So since we weren't there, I'll take his word for it.

They were just the standard replicas, but they had the gold numbers and Birds on the Bat. The Birds on the Bat weren't chainstitched. The price for them is $115. I'd buy one if they weren't overpriced.

I fail to see the issue of a reigning champion wearing a patch on a jersey for the entire season. Why would it be okay for some arbitrary number of games but not 162? If other teams don't like it -- doubt they care -- beat them, win it yourself and come up with some fake reason why your team is better than that and start a trend. Like the Patriots running out as a team at the Super Bowl because they are, gasp, a team.

Right, that's my point. The salesperson could have simply meant "authentic" in terms of "officially licensed" or "not a knock-off", while the poster clearly meant "Authentic" in terms of the marketing word used for the higher-quality jerseys. That's the problem with companies using "Authentic" for their marketing - it can create confusion in the marketplace... though not as much as Nike's "Game" replicas are going to cause.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I fail to see the issue of a reigning champion wearing a patch on a jersey for the entire season. Why would it be okay for some arbitrary number of games but not 162? If other teams don't like it -- doubt they care -- beat them, win it yourself and come up with some fake reason why your team is better than that and start a trend. Like the Patriots running out as a team at the Super Bowl because they are, gasp, a team.

It's crass. I can understand wearing it on your opening day, because that's the day you raise the banner and honor your championship from the last season. But unless you're honoring your championship every single game of the season, it's unnecessary and crass. I can even understand (but still find it crass and unnecessary) the Giants wearing it all last season, because it was nearly 60 years since they won it and it was their first championship since moving. But I cannot conceive why the Cardinals did it. They have the second most championships in the league and have won it recently. It makes zero sense.

I have no idea what point you're trying to make with the Patriots comparison.

spacer.png

It's crass. I can understand wearing it on your opening day, because that's the day you raise the banner and honor your championship from the last season. But unless you're honoring your championship every single game of the season, it's unnecessary and crass. I can even understand (but still find it crass and unnecessary) the Giants wearing it all last season, because it was nearly 60 years since they won it and it was their first championship since moving. But I cannot conceive why the Cardinals did it. They have the second most championships in the league and have won it recently. It makes zero sense.

You can't say it's ok for one team and not another. Just because the Giants went longer without one? How would you come up with an objective amount of time in between titles to determine how long a team can wear it? You can't fairly do it. As mentioned above, they are the reigning champs until someone else wins it.

You can't say it's ok for one team and not another. Just because the Giants went longer without one? How would you come up with an objective amount of time in between titles to determine how long a team can wear it? You can't fairly do it. As mentioned above, they are the reigning champs until someone else wins it.

I never said it was OK (I still called it unnecessary and crass), just that I understood the motivation behind wearing the patch all season more with the Giants than with the Cards.

spacer.png

I never said it was OK (I still called it unnecessary and crass), just that I understood the motivation behind wearing the patch all season more with the Giants than with the Cards.

Why? If a team wins a championship they have every right to be happy and gloat about it. If people don't like it, too bad. I bet you wouldn't be complaining if the Sox wore a "2012 World Champions" patch all next season, I certainly wouldn't. I don't see a problem with celebrating an achievement, considering for the entire 2012 season the Cardinals are the World Champions; they didn't magically relinquish their championship after the first game, so why is it crass for them to celebrate?

Why? If a team wins a championship they have every right to be happy and gloat about it. If people don't like it, too bad. I bet you wouldn't be complaining if the Sox wore a "2012 World Champions" patch all next season, I certainly wouldn't. I don't see a problem with celebrating an achievement, considering for the entire 2012 season the Cardinals are the World Champions; they didn't magically relinquish their championship after the first game, so why is it crass for them to celebrate?

Actually, I totally would.

You're last season's champions. Raise the banner, hand out the rings, wear the gold-tinted uniforms with the patch on opening day. After that, focus on this season.

It's unnecessary and crass because what more do you need? The banner's up, the fans are happy, the rings are on the fingers. Do you really need a sleeve patch on your uniform all season to really make you feel like a champion or to adequately celebrate your championship?

In short: I feel that wearing a championship sleeve patch all season is unrefined and obtuse. That's just my opinion.

spacer.png

It's silly, especially since with all the turnover in sports these days, there's a lot of players on these teams who are wearing a patch celebrating a championship that they didn't win (and in some cases, were on the losing end of.)

Archived